3D printed mods and print companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Podunk Steam

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2014
United States
Hope I'm posting this in the correct area!

A partner and myself have been working on 3D printed mods and the frustrations involved with doing so, or at least that we have found. Between the printers changing print orientation, bad initial checks of print files that they make to sounds as our fault I'm getting more than a little confused.

I have to take blame in some of my partners frustration as I tend to be a particularly matriculates person feeling I can't have anything produced for someone I wouldn't use myself and my designs tend to get rather intricate with exacting measurements. I dabble in machining metals, woods and plastics with tools I have purchased such as a mill, lathe, ect. and exacting measurements are often required for a fit and finish I'd find sale able for the best explanation of my nature mentioned.

I'm very curious to know expected tolerances from various 3D printing companies and if you have found adherence to the companies claims of these tolerances? The reason I ask this is even prints done in the same orientation as previously printed from the same company seem to vary multiple thousands of inches in the finished print and it's very frustrating making parts fit with set dimensions to altering prints as I've seen.

Would I be too demanding of 3D printing to be within 10/1000ths of an inch? I imagine I'd be correct in thinking ambient temperatures and moisture in the air could alter the outcome of the prints as I have been seeing because it's the only justification I can find in the sloppy tolerances I have seen?

In the colder months of the year I've seen the tolerances from the print company my partner and myself are using very applicable to our first design. Now as the weather warms are previously suitable design has shrank making parts previously used to tight for proper fitment. I'm guessing this is because the plastic cooled quicker in potentially cooler environment shrinking less in the process of cooling? With this happening the kits we have on file become more complicated for builders and more likely to get bad reviews from customers.

To me this design isn't all that complex, would you consider it to be too much for 3D printing companies to produce accurately? It's a modular so it can be altered to suit the customers preference as far as how many batteries are preferred, which circuit board would be preferred....
temp_14.temp_taken_picture_zpswoo1h0fi.jpg

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
One comment, 3D printing can only manage a tolerance of .2mm +/-, take that into consideration with your design

What BobC said, design for the available tolerances. Nature of the beast, and that's with big bucks $300K to $1M SLS printers. The whole batch of plastic grains are heated to within a few degrees of melting temperature so the laser can quickly sinter the grains together then another layer of grains is deposited on top of that. As many printed objects as can be arranged together to fit the machine are printed at the same time. As the plastic particles are fused together by the laser there is a certain amount of heat bleed through the material in vertical and horizontal directions that will depend on many factors including heat from what is being sintered close by which might be very close one time and a empty portion of another print next depending on how the objects being printed are loaded in software. Grain size can also only go so small because past a certain size they tend to smear instead of evenly distribute.

MasteroftheVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2014
Columbia, IL, USA
Mass production style is err on the side of caution. For button hole mounts and 510 hole mount make hole slightly smaller than needed (0.3mm) or so, that way you always have more material than needed.

After initial production you would follow up with finish production using precision tools such as a drill/press for your needs for known fished dimensions

Podunk Steam

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2014
United States
All that we have done is in making an effort for DIYers to have an easier build than starting from scratch with stock materials. It sounds to me that reasonable fit and finish straight off a 3D printer isn't going to be what more scrupulous customers with less know how and tooling are looking for. Sounds like the typical diminishing standards of society in general as has happened over the passed few decades to me. Tradesmen using expendable tools mass produced at low cost was scoffed at just three decades ago.

Long before I'd ever go into mass production through means of 3D printing I'd buy my own injection mold equipment, pay for the block engineering and milling without a second thought and still be ahead of the game considering high end 3D printing equipment and consumer product cost. In my opinion 3D printing is still prototyping oriented and not much further along than it was a few years ago, maybe with the exception of a few more material type capabilities.

With 3D printing most of the PVs I have seen end up costing at least very close to what a customer would be paying for a completed device without the work involved. This makes for a hard sale without innovative adaptation that would likely soon copied by way of manufacturers for a more favorable expense to the customer.

Podunk Steam

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2014
United States
What I've seen so far can be milled but not everyone is capable of milling finite increments to make parts fit correctly. I've been hoping for what came from my first print to be consistent, it was more like a snap together model than the trim, file and glue equivalent I've seen since. When SW changes the print orientation, things get really out of whack!

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
All that we have done is in making an effort for DIYers to have an easier build than starting from scratch with stock materials. It sounds to me that reasonable fit and finish straight off a 3D printer isn't going to be what more scrupulous customers with less know how and tooling are looking for. Sounds like the typical diminishing standards of society in general as has happened over the passed few decades to me. Tradesmen using expendable tools mass produced at low cost was scoffed at just three decades ago.

Long before I'd ever go into mass production through means of 3D printing I'd buy my own injection mold equipment, pay for the block engineering and milling without a second thought and still be ahead of the game considering high end 3D printing equipment and consumer product cost. In my opinion 3D printing is still prototyping oriented and not much further along than it was a few years ago, maybe with the exception of a few more material type capabilities.

With 3D printing most of the PVs I have seen end up costing at least very close to what a customer would be paying for a completed device without the work involved. This makes for a hard sale without innovative adaptation that would likely soon copied by way of manufacturers for a more favorable expense to the customer.

I disagree Podunk, checkout http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/659033-printed-dna-40-bottom-feeder-mod.html and http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...668-printed-mechanical-bottom-feeder-mod.html

Both these bottom fed devices are 3D printed, and being built by even the most novice

3D success truly rests with the designer's capabilities, not the technology

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
Remember, one of the threads speaks to a user wiring a DNA board, so that definitely would not be for the beginner, but the mechanical (Peko) thread has no soldering at all, and is easy to build even for a beginner. Of the many built, very few problems encountered were related to the 3D components

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread