4 battery series/parallel regulated squonk mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraithkrown

Jul 14, 2015
Nashville TN USA
I am thinking about making a squonk mod as above. I am not a builder, but I get the feeling this is a niche that has one person in it, so I don't think that any company is going to make one of these. I have a couple of ideas.

1. Frankenstein one together. My idea is to get a Kanger Five6 that has a bad board, and modify it to hold 4 batteries and a squonk bottle. For a board and maybe a display I have a Wismec RX300. The main problem I see with this route is that the reason I no longer use the RX300 and am willing to dismantle it is that the resistance reading on it is anywhere from .05 to .1 ohms too high and I don't know if the board is causing it or the 510, although I am pretty sure it is the 510.

2. Build one from scratch. There are several challenges to this route obviously.
A. My guess is that, as far as the enclosure goes, 3D printed would be the best option. I do not own a 3D printer and don't know how to go about designing the enclosure so someone else can print it. I might be able to carve one out of a block of wood, but I do not think my untested carving skills will be enough.
B. What chip/display to use? I want the batteries to be series/parallel. I want the chip to be able to handle 50 amps and do at least 300 watts. I really do not want to pay for a DNA250. If I had some sort of verification that the resistance problems on the RX300 are in the 510 I would use it.

I believe I could manage to put it together, but if not I have a good friend who would be willing to help I am sure:).

What do you guys think? Are there some words of wisdom any of you can impart on me? Thank you all in advance for your time.

Wraithkrown

Jul 14, 2015
Nashville TN USA
A few questions and a few comments:
1:Why four batteries? Just because of the RX board?
2: why 300w?
Converting the five6 to squonk shouldnt be all that bad but theres nowhere for the board.
Maybe convert the RX300 to squonk with a triple battery or lipo and a PWM board

1: I like the series parallel configuration as it allows me to SAFELY vape up to a 50 amp build.
2: I like to vape at 250+ watts occasionally. The RX300 does 400 watts now.

I have not put my hands on the Five6 as I am not a fan of Kanger products. I am assuming that the Five6 has a board in it. One of the reasons I posted here was that I was hoping someone who had some experience with the Five6 would be able to tell me if this was feasible or not.

I have a Maxo Quad right now that I am pretty happy with(besides the janky battery door). I only have one squonk RDA right now (Pulse 24). I just do not want to carry 2 mods around. If a reputable company made a 2 or 3 battery, nonDNA, regulated squonk mod I would try it out. Unless my research has failed me, I have only found three 2 battery squonk mods: Kanger Dropbox, Lost Vape Drone, and the GeekVape GBOX S100. No Kanger for me, No DNA for me, and The GeekVape only goes up to 100 watts(I vape my Pulse at 110-130) and I can't find any available anyway.

What I will probably end up doing is have one built custom when I have a bit more disposable income. Thank you for your interest:)

Wraithkrown

Jul 14, 2015
Nashville TN USA
From what I could tell the kangers display is on the top of the mod. I mentioned PWM because with four batteries or a 4S lipo you could exceed 300 easily. Im tinkering with a smok 350 now. (dead board) It will be 3 battery 12v pwm squonk
Only experience I have with PWM was with the first Snow Wolf which went into PWM at 150-200watts. It was the beginning of my high wattage experimentation and I can not say I was impressed.

The top display would indeed be a problem.... Will probably have to go the second route then. Thanks for the reality check:)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

What do you guys think? Are there some words of wisdom any of you can impart on me? Thank you all in advance for your time.

My suggestion before you go Too Far down the road on designing a 4 Battery Regulated Squonk Mod would to place 4 Batteries and a Squonk Sized Bottle on a piece of paper. Now draw a Boundary Box around everything adding some space of a Circuit Board.

Then take a piece of Wood or Foam or something tapped together and do a Mock Up of just what Size a 4 Battery Regulated Squonk Mod would be. Might try some different layouts to see what Fits you hand best.

Cause it's going to be Large. 1970's Cell Phone sized Large.

• Agree
Reactions: dc99

Wraithkrown

Jul 14, 2015
Nashville TN USA
Instead of going wide you could always go up. Two pairs stacked and the paralleled. 8.4v. Generally they would fit your hand better in a diamond pattern. Big either way. Ive done a few DNA with 3S lipo's in G-boxes. A 4S should fit with room for a board. Im really curious now
Lipos are intriquing but I work 12-14 hour shifts. With the Maxo Quad I have to chnage batteries at least once a shift(twice only if I dont plan ahaed). What kind of battery life would I have on a 8-12 volt lipo? My everyday vaping is 80-130 watts, probably at least 60 2-3 second puffs per hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread