510 Atomizers and ohm numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

makasin

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2010
San Diego
Atomizer resistance is the electrical resistance of the heating coil, basically. The lower the resistance, the more electric current being pulled from the battery and hence more heat. You must be careful about what type of battery you are using. Smaller batteries cannot supply as much instantaneous current as larger ones (as a rule of thumb, not all batts are created equal nor are their chemistries). For example, in my prodigy mod, when I use 3.7V batteries I use 1.5 ohm resistance atties since they heat really well and mimic higher voltage vaping, which provides 3.7v/1.5ohm=2.5-ish Amps. When I am running 6v with my prodigy, I use 3.2 ohm atties, giving me a little less than 2 amps of current. (note that none of these figures are exact, I just estimated in my head)

It all comes down to basic electrical laws. What constitutes how much vapor is the amount of power being dissipated as heat through the atomizers. Voltage=Current*Resistance and Power= Current*Voltage or Voltage^2 / Resistance or Current^2 * Resistance .
The amount of power being put out is proportional to the amount of vapor produced in a given amount of time.
that's all you basically need to know about voltage and resistance pertaining to e-cigs. Sorry if it was a bit technical, I'm an electrical engineer :p hope that helped somebody in some way

note: of course you don't want too much power, since it can either destroy your battery, atomizer, or both or create too much vapor or a burning taste. It is all personal preference, so figure out what you like by trial and error more or less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread