The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.
  1. Dear Guest, 

ECF will be down for an extended period Tuesday 25th January from 6am central / 7am Eastern. 

This is due to a server migration. With any luck we'll by open by lunchtime. Thanks in advance for your patience :)

@low_tar_neil

Dismiss Notice

510 Ohm Check Ohm-Meter Module

Discussion in 'Modding Forum' started by northhar, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. northhar

northhar Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    CanTheBan
    I made this up after getting this test module to play with...First the pictures then the explaination and the small part list..

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tapped the plastic with a 510 bottom end tap.. it was close enough that it worked out perfectly without having to drill it.... I then used an old cart connector with the guts removed.. soldered a ground wire (black) to the inside side.. I screwed it into the bottom just enough so when I screw in the ego connector the sides touch. I then shaped the red wire to enter into the center of the 510 connector.. Since I do not plan to remove this anytime.. I plan to maybe glue it...

I also just short it with a screwdriver to find 0 ohms.. the above meter I have to deduct 2ohms.. (thanks rocketman-and 1984 Orwell)

The only thing to watch out for is that the plug is for standard meter spacing.. Some meters I gather the less expensive ones do not adhere to the standard.. so get a plug and test your meter to see if it is standard.. If you are buying one test it with the plug to be sure it is standard spacing..

Here is where to get the module.. The module is a MDP 4892 made by Pomona Electronics.
    MDP

The 510 ego connector and the carto connector.. well that is pretty much everywhere.

It is a lot cheaper to make then to buy the purpose built box that when it fails will be difficult to replace... While ohm-meters are everywhere...

2. Burnie

Burnie The Bug Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2009
    Sunny Florida
  3. Rocketman

Rocketman Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Did you make a "ZERO" plug?

Or a fake Carto "SHORT"

4. 1984 Orwell

1984 Orwell Full Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Montreal, Canada
    You can short it by sticking a small screwdriver into the 510 connector. This will tell you what your meter reads at, with zero ohms.

This device is nice, in that you can remove it to do any other testing. For instance, if you want to test the AC voltage on a wall plug, this is not a good thing to have plugged in at the same time, as the arcing distance is questionable, and the negative is exposed.

The part number is
    Pomona, Model: 4892-0 (Gold Plated, Black)

For a more explicit description of the part used:
    http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/Pomona/hardware/double-banana-plugs.htm
    and
    http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/Pomona/PDFs/mdp.pdf

The dual banana plug has a standard .75 inch spacing between centers.

The Digikey or Mouser part can be had by searching for " 4892-0 "

Hope this helps.

5. Alexis Damianidis

Alexis Damianidis Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Oct 11, 2012
    GREECE
    That thing is just very simple and amazing.
    Well done!!!

6. northhar

northhar Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    CanTheBan
    Made a mistake.. no more editing.. figures.. should be .2ohms and not 2ohms.. oh well... here is the correction...

7. 1984 Orwell

1984 Orwell Full Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Montreal, Canada
    Bernie, Cool, I like your Global E-cig Calculator at the bottom of your post.

8. vapero

vapero Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    monterrey,mexico
    I use a multimeter and i need to subtract the resistance from the wires to get a real reading, I still feel that it isnt totally accurate, will this have the same issue??

9. Innocuous

Innocuous Super Member ECF Veteran

I suspect you could use a trim-pot to INCREASE the resistance to a nice solid '1' or '10' ohms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.