510 Ohm Check Ohm-Meter Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

northhar

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2011
CanTheBan
I made this up after getting this test module to play with...First the pictures then the explaination and the small part list..

I tapped the plastic with a 510 bottom end tap.. it was close enough that it worked out perfectly without having to drill it.... I then used an old cart connector with the guts removed.. soldered a ground wire (black) to the inside side.. I screwed it into the bottom just enough so when I screw in the ego connector the sides touch. I then shaped the red wire to enter into the center of the 510 connector.. Since I do not plan to remove this anytime.. I plan to maybe glue it...

I also just short it with a screwdriver to find 0 ohms.. the above meter I have to deduct 2ohms.. (thanks rocketman-and 1984 Orwell)

The only thing to watch out for is that the plug is for standard meter spacing.. Some meters I gather the less expensive ones do not adhere to the standard.. so get a plug and test your meter to see if it is standard.. If you are buying one test it with the plug to be sure it is standard spacing..

Here is where to get the module.. The module is a MDP 4892 made by Pomona Electronics.
MDP

The 510 ego connector and the carto connector.. well that is pretty much everywhere.

It is a lot cheaper to make then to buy the purpose built box that when it fails will be difficult to replace... While ohm-meters are everywhere...

Last edited:
You can short it by sticking a small screwdriver into the 510 connector. This will tell you what your meter reads at, with zero ohms.

This device is nice, in that you can remove it to do any other testing. For instance, if you want to test the AC voltage on a wall plug, this is not a good thing to have plugged in at the same time, as the arcing distance is questionable, and the negative is exposed.

The part number is
Pomona, Model: 4892-0 (Gold Plated, Black)

For a more explicit description of the part used:
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/Pomona/hardware/double-banana-plugs.htm
and
http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/Pomona/PDFs/mdp.pdf

The dual banana plug has a standard .75 inch spacing between centers.

The Digikey or Mouser part can be had by searching for " 4892-0 "

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread