901 win! (vs 510)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aphlaque_duck

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2010
San Jose, CA
I have been taking turns vaping each of these equally today, starting from fresh attys/carts. At the end of the day the 901 still vapes like new but the 510 (eGo) has developed some of that foul burnt taste already.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between these products that would account for this. They look very similar but the bridge on the 901 seems a bit taller which might serve to keep the plastic/poly away from the atty. Aside from that I wonder if I'm doing something wrong that I can't get the good performance others are reporting from their 510s.

On a related note is it OK to use 510 carts in the 901? The diameter fits but I'm wondering if the diffent internal shape would result in burning the plastic.

wmrwl

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2010
NJ
I also own both and I think the difference has to do with the cart. That foul burning in the 510 is because of the cart and the polyfill. Change it out with the fluval aquarium foam and you will rarely, if ever, get that foul burning again. The 901 carts and polyfill do a much better job of wicking for some reason (probably because the exposed area has a larger diameter than the 510). Don't put the 510 carts on the 901 or you will get that foul burning smell/taste. Put the 901 cart on the 510 and see if you still get it.

Dynomite

Apr 8, 2010
Maplewood, MN
I also own both and I think the difference has to do with the cart. That foul burning in the 510 is because of the cart and the polyfill. Change it out with the fluval aquarium foam and you will rarely, if ever, get that foul burning again.

I actually just bought the blue aquarium foam, and it works amazingly. I haven't had any problems with the burning of the filling, and I use Atomic Cinnacide, which seems to just eat away at it. Not this time though.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
The biggest difference between the 2 is how hot they run. That''s why the 510 has more vapor and the 901 more flavor. The 510 runs hotter so eats batteries faster and why the basic wicking material doesn't do as good a job getting juice to the atomizer and results in the burnt taste.

I got a DSE901 to start along with the disposable 510 kit and adapter so I could give both a try. I honestly don't know why everyone seems to say 510 and nobody says 901. To me it just tastes better all around.

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
Take the time, go to YouTube, look up phee303 and he has two great vid's on how to modify a 510 atty. I did it and can't believe what a difference. I removed the wick, bridge and coil like in one of the vid's. It's a dripping machine. I even did this to one atty I thought was ready for burial, now it's back to life.

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Do you have a 510 or an Ego?? While they run the same atties and carts, they're not the same thing.

As for the burnt taste, have you tried blowing out the atty to clean it? Take the atty off the battery, put your lips around the cart end and blow like hell into a tissue or over a sink or something. When nothing else comes out, wipe off the threads and reattach it to the battery.

Then, drop 2-3 drops DIRECTLY onto the little silver mesh part you can see. Give it a few puffs. If it doesn't taste quite right yet, drip one more and try again. Continue to add 1 drop until it DOES taste good.

Some times when there's excess liquid on it, it'll start tasting burnt. Takes all of 15 seconds to do it. :)

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
…As posted, you will need a 510-901 adapter.

May I make the suggestion that if you do buy an adapter get a 510 battery to KR808D-1 cartomizer adapter instead. The threads of the 901 atomizer are the same so it will thread on and work fine but you'll also have the option to use 'regular' KR808D-1 cartomizers such as those sold by Vapor4Life.

portguy

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Portugal
May I make the suggestion that if you do buy an adapter get a 510 battery to KR808D-1 cartomizer adapter instead. The threads of the 901 atomizer are the same so it will thread on and work fine but you'll also have the option to use 'regular' KR808D-1 cartomizers such as those sold by Vapor4Life.

The 510-901 adapter actually is the same as the 510-KR808. You can test this by screwing a cartomizer on a regular 901 battery. Works like a charm (you will notice a decrease in performance due to fact the 901 battery is not a 280 mHa like the KR).

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
Take the time, go to YouTube, look up phee303 and he has two great vid's on how to modify a 510 atty. I did it and can't believe what a difference. I removed the wick, bridge and coil like in one of the vid's. It's a dripping machine. I even did this to one atty I thought was ready for burial, now it's back to life.

I totally agree, but you can't remove the coil, and you do need to be carefull not to break it. I drip on a 510 straight onto the coil. It's warmer and produces more vapor and you don't have to worry about the flavors getting stuck in the bridge and wick.

As for flavor, I read a lot of comments regarding this point. But seriously some liquids just taste better at different temps. I have found the flavors that work better and dripping straight onto a coil at 5 volts is my sweet spot.

Last night I was hitting on a 901 for a while, a friend had a nice flavor, but I could not get over the weak hit. When she handed me back my 510 she did it reluctantly and is now going to order a 510. You might get a better taste with some liquids with the 901 but with a 510 dripping onto the coil you can get the taste and the huge vapor, you just have to find the right liquids.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
The 510-901 adapter actually is the same as the 510-KR808. You can test this by screwing a cartomizer on a regular 901 battery. Works like a charm
If you use a staple or something so that the cartomizer isn't completely threaded onto the battery. Otherwise if you screw the cartomizer on tight on a 901 battery there is no place to draw air from. The opposite isn't true. If you screw a 901 atomizer on a KR808 it will work just fine. The airholes in the battery (but they'd have the same airholes in an adapter) aren't needed because the 901 atomizer has an airhole on the side so they end up being unnecessary and ignorable.

So I'll stick with my original statement. Since the threads are the same between a 901 atomizer and a cartomizer if you get an adapter for a 901 (no air holes) you will only be able to use a 901 atomizer but if you get a KR808 adapter (with airholes) you can use a cartomizer or a 901 atomizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread