9volt Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
TX, USA
It has been a while since I've been on here and decided to poke around again. Still doesn't look like anybody has made a 9 volt mod. If I ever get the urge again, I'll finish up my prototype to actually see how long it lasts. It has minimal electronics so the main hassle I was having was to cram it into the smallest space as possible so it could still pretty much be hidden with the palm. Please post the link if somebody has made a working one though!

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Like rannox pointed out 9 volt batteries dont put out a lot of amps. Unless your talking about maybe running Three 3volts in series of some CR123 batteries but that is going to take up some space. Also i dont think your going to gain anything really because your going to have to offset the higher voltage with higher resistance atomizers so the juice wont burn , unless your really wanting to smoke your juice.

thorn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
TX, USA
Theoretically it wouldn't seem to work out, eh? That is because you aren't accounting for the circuitry. I know I'm not breaking any laws of physics but am pushing the battery to do odd things. It did not ever get too hot to hold. Slightly warm, maybe. I can't remember if it worked better with a regular atomizer or a low resistance atomizer, it has been a number of months since I've touched it. But like I said, I never got to try it continuously on a fresh battery to see how long it lasts. That is what the enclosed prototype was going to be for. I was also switching between a regular 9 volt and a rechargeable 9 volt during my testings. It is awkward to carry around a breadboard wired to a battery and to an atomizer/cart. I'd really like to get it together to give it a few accurate trial runs. If it turns out to not last too long, I may just throw it on here for others to play with. Maybe now that I've re-peaked my interest with this thread I'll remember when I have spare time at home.

BTW, the circuitry does include a low battery indicator. I have never understood why the big boys have never stuck this in their mods??? It is the main feature that a newbie needs so they don't freak out when their mod quits working. They immediately know if it is their battery or a juice/atomizer prob. I tried to include an indicator for blown atomizer also but the odd details of how this mod works wouldn't allow both indicators at the same time. I saw the low battery indicator as a better feature to have over the other.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Like rannox pointed out 9 volt batteries dont put out a lot of amps. ... Also i dont think your going to gain anything really because your going to have to offset the higher voltage with higher resistance atomizers so the juice wont burn , unless your really wanting to smoke your juice.
Actually there will be nothing to offset as the 9V unloaded voltage from even an Industrial 9V cell will be hard pressed to provide even 1A for more than a couple minutes.

I'm just guessing, but I would assume that with a Joye atty the battery would probably get hotter than the atty.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Actually there will be nothing to offset as the 9V unloaded voltage from even an Industrial 9V cell will be hard pressed to provide even 1A for more than a couple minutes.

I'm just guessing, but I would assume that with a Joye atty the battery would probably get hotter than the atty.

Unless your talking about maybe running Three 3volts in series of some CR123 batteries

You missed that part in my original post.That set up would provide enough amps and have a nominal voltage of 9 volts.

Gummy Bear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
orlando fl
agummybear.deviantart.com
But............ why? Why 9volts?

My 2 cents worth:
Because you can get 9volt batts everywhere. they are a cool shape and they are no bigger than a good switching reg. I have wanted to make an Amboyna burle cube type mod for a long time but just haven't got it to my "just do it" list.

thorn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
TX, USA
I finally got a new one soldered together. The old one had gotten squished too much and connections were breaking. I double and triple checked all the connections but the low battery indicator is not working properly. I must have gotten a component too hot during soldering so the led comes on whenever the button is pressed as you will see in the video. In the video I use the rechargeable 9 volt but a normal 9 volt can also be used. This is the same rechargeable and atty that I have been using the whole time on the breadboard. I will have to get a meter later to see if it is the normal or low resistance.

In the video, I first display the unit not working without the 9volt, then attach the battery, then display it working. It looked like a little more vapor in person than it does on the video, maybe because I tried to use lower sampling video to use less bandwith. The circuit is inside a 3/4 inch pvc coupling. Since it has become more of a hobby for me at this point, it is difficult to say how long a battery will last but I will give them a few runs and see how it goes.

(2.7M)

Last edited:

thorn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
TX, USA
As far as testing goes, the 9v seems to last as long as a 16340. I really do not vape every day or even every other day so it has been difficult to get more accurate testing. Some puffs here and there throughout the weeks. Wish I had a free day to just compare a rechargeable and regular battery. The atty I have been using measures 4.9 ohm.

NicksVap3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
Maine USA
now this is all my theory but:
a switching regulator basically switches on and off so quickly it mimics lower voltages.
say its on 55 percent of the time making just under 5v (assuming that its exactly 9v, probably not. and my 5 key with the percent symbol is broke :facepalm:)
so wouldnt mimicking 5v, also make the battery last 45 percent longer than running all out 9v? making the 500mah SEEM like 725mah?

someone with more knowledge please step in and correct me. but if my thinkings correct, it should last about as long as my 750mah rcr123a's

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Thats pretty much correct. It has more to do with power or watts. Amps are not the same at different voltages. 1 amp @ 12 volts has the same amount of watts as 2 amps @ 6 volts. For example: Right now i am vaping off this switching reg. I am powering it off 12 volts. The out put is regulated to 4.7 volts. Slapping a amp meter on the output i am using 2 amps when vaping with a 2.3 ohm atomizer. Now when i slap a amp meter on the 12 volt input my amp draw is .87 amps or 870mA's. What its the same across the two voltages and amps is the 10.44 watts.

So if you look at it this way if there was a 5 volt battery that was 500mah and you have a battery thats 9 volts and 500mah. The 9 volt battery has close to twice as many watts stored in it. If you bucked the 9 volt down to 5 volts with a switching reg and did a mah test on it you would get somewhere around 900mah with the 9 volt bucked to 5 volts. I just did the math off the top of my head but it is in the ballpark.

NicksVap3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2011
Maine USA
that all sounds very good to me... . with all the stuff done on here, im surprised noones done this yet.
gave it a shot. wired it up. 22uf 10v caps across vin and gnd, and across vout and gnd. normally open momentary switch between vin and on/off. pots middle wire to vadj, outers to vout and gnd... everything got HOT, battery, module, everything... hope i didnt fry it
2rpafzb.jpg

oh btw, its an MP2307DN module... forgot to mention that. ill read up and give it another shot tomorrow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread