A circuit for temperature control of the atomizer coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I had a bit of spare time so designed a circuit that can limit the temperature of the atomiser coil, which may help prevent burn-outs.

Just limiting the current would slow the heat-up time. This will heat up as fast as normal but not overheat when dry. No need for thermocouples or PWM. In effect, the coil itself is the temperature sensor: the resistance of the nichrome wire increases slightly as the temperature increases. Once the cil is up to normal temperature, the circuit behaves much like a classic PWM circuit.

The coil will heat up fast to the operating temperature but not higher; power is automatically disconnected and reapplied to maintain the optimum temperature. The 10nF capacitor (and the right-most 100nF) and the heat capacity of the coil control the switching speed (these capacitors introduces a little hysteresis). The 2 x 100nF capacitors I just included for extra stability and are probably not essential.

comp3.png

The values shown should about right (I haven't tried it). Adjust trimming potentiometer till the atty runs at optimum temperature.

Initially the coil will heat up when button pressed. The voltage across it is compared with the reference and as soon as the voltage is greater, the mosfet is switched off (comparator output will go close to zero). When the atty cools and the resistance decreases, the voltage will decrease and the power applied again. In a 5 second power on this may occur 10-20 times, all autmatically controlled by this circuit.

One of the 10K resistors may need to be omitted (shorted) / replaced by a very low value such as 100ohm. (Once the pot position is known for a given mosfet/atty combination, the side resistor values can be upped and changed to make the pot more sensistive in the correct range; or the whole reference bit changed to simply 2 resistors as the potential divider.)

Actually, as the comparator is relative, the voltage drop of the battery under load should not affect the circuit (much) so the voltage regulator can probably be omitted.

Don't forget to connect power to the comparator IC.

Last edited:

KoS

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2009
VT, USA
Nice and simple. I like it. I was wondering if a simle logic circuit would work but needed some refreasher cources. I think you are right to include the voltage regulator. If you get away with out it I will be surprised but weirder things have happened when thery meets reality lol. When ya going to breadbord and test? Might need tweaking now and then due to gunk build up causing a higher resistance in the coil.

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nice and simple. I like it. I was wondering if a simle logic circuit would work but needed some refreasher cources. I think you are right to include the voltage regulator. If you get away with out it I will be surprised but weirder things have happened when thery meets reality lol. When ya going to breadbord and test? Might need tweaking now and then due to gunk build up causing a higher resistance in the coil.

I was thinking of using a zener in the reference voltage part of the circuit but then realised that this would definitely require that the supply be voltage regulated. Because the comparator is working on relative values from the same supply, I still think that the voltage regulator is not needed.

Re need to tweak as atomiser ages: I think here you might have a point. Will think about it. Wouldn't it be nice if it self-calibrated ;)

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
It doesn't seem to make any sense to me how the gunk building up on the outside of the coil could change the resistance. Can anybody explain why?
Morning Pete - nice day up in the north ?

A deposit might affect the resistance - would be a very small change but might be enough to worry. Will ponder over breakfast ...

It cant change the resistance of the nichrome wire (I don't think) but could the col as a whole - for example, if the deposit is slightly conductive.

And what about the juice - if that is slightly conductive ?? :shock:
Need some testing ...

Last edited:
People often tal about the Mediterranean Diet - while thee are some reasons to believe that diet is healthier foodwise, I suspect the better weather (happier disposition) and increased vitamin D from sunsine play a big part too :) And the red wine ;)

But nothing in this world has only one side ...

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
People often tal about the Mediterranean Diet - while thee are some reasons to believe that diet is healthier foodwise, I suspect the better weather (happier disposition) and increased vitamin D from sunsine play a big part too :) And the red wine ;)

But nothing in this world has only one side ...

I think you probably summed it up perfectly there Kinaba.:)

What I was thinking was as the coil gets more and more gunk on it that it actualy needs to get hotter to give more vaper or more runnig time. Mabey this is a moot point with this circuit concidering it caps the temp so leving the hammer down for a longer time would be fine

Indeed.

Without temperature control the atty coil is in danger when the deposit builds up. My teory is that this is because the deposit heat-insulates the coil such that it can get too hot (less cooled by the airflow). This is one of the ways that the deposit can eventually kill the coil. The other is by mechanical force snapping the wire as the deposit builds under it (discovered by SunVaporer). Most times it is probably these two things acting together.

mogur

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
Good morning, modders. Found a table at Nichrome 60 (NiCr) Resistance Wire that alleviates some of the math-

NiCr 60 Resistivity factors:
Temperature 68°F (20°C), Factor 1.000
Temperature 212°F (100°C), Factor 1.019
Temperature 392°F (200°C), Factor 1.043
Temperature 572°F (300°C), Factor 1.065
Temperature 752°F (400°C), Factor 1.085
Temperature 932°F (500°C), Factor 1.093
Temperature 1112°F (600°C), Factor 1.110
Temperature 1292°F (700°C), Factor 1.114
Temperature 1472°F (800°C), Factor 1.123
Temperature 1652°F (900°C), Factor 1.132
Temperature 1832°F (1000°C), Factor 1.143

These values don't quite match other NiCr TCRs I've seen, but it'll take some playing around, anyway. A place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread