A couple of questions on a build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joer0952

Moved On
Apr 3, 2013
NYC
Just a little background I have made guitar pedals and circuit boards in the past and am comfortable working with them. SO I was thinking about making a vv mod which also reads ohms based on a design I found on you tube but I have a couple of questions for you guys.

1. first off I understand ohms law, but I cant rap my head around how the diagram in the first picture leads to a current of 1 amp so that resistance= voltage. wondering If you use the pot to calibrate it and then it will be accurate but not sure. If anyone has some insite that would be very helpful.

2. I dont understand why 2 switches (SW1A and SW3) are needed since there seems to be only 2 functioning positions (both up in relation to the page orientation for ohm reading and both down for voltage) for this reason I have modified it (see bottom right of picture) to use 1 3PDT switch. Is my assessment accurate? Also, I think I could add a red led between pins 1 (+) and 7(-) to indicate ohm reading and a green led between pins 3 (+) and 9 (-) to indicate voltage.

3. Since I plan on using this at home I plan on using a wall outlet for power and leaving the screen on so I think I can remove the momentary sw2 switch (or make it an on/off switch so I can shut off or leave on the screen at my discresion) and putting a momentary switch on the + lead of the 510 connector for firing the device (I actually have a reason for doing this but I will not bore you with the details) Can I do all that?

Thanks for your help,
Joe

if the pictures aren't clear can anyone help me make them bigger? Or I guess I can email them to people.

photo2.jpg photofix.jpg

Last edited:

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I don't have enough time to try to decipher that 2nd schematic. I might be able to help with the 1st question.

1) looks like they are using the LM350 in constant current mode. Looks like they are using a 20 ohm pot in parallel with two (probably 1 ohm) resistors that are in series to get 1.25 ohms. With that setup, you'd have about 2 ohms in parallel with the 20 ohm pot, and need to adjust the pot to about 3.33 ohms to get a total resistance of 1.25 ohms. The reference voltage on that regulator is 1.25v, so 1.25 ohms would get 1 amp. Adjustment is always good to deal with off-nominal value components.

Look at the 2nd calc here:

LM317 / LM338 / LM350 Voltage and Current Regulator Calculators

I'm not sure why they are putting the reference resistor on the Adj pin, when all references that I've seen put it on the Vout pin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread