A few notes on the short batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0cmp

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Harlingen TX. USA
I had a bit of time to mess around with the short batteries last night and I wanted to share a few notes of what I have observed. Unlike the normal VK batteries the shorties definitely need a full charging cycle before use. They will work right away, but they work much better after the charge. Leaford recommended to me an 8 hour initial charge. These batteries also seem to take a bit to "break in". I have a couple that we a little finicky after the first charging cycle, but after the second charging cycle they sprang to life. These little babies put out a ton of vapor once they are dialed in. Also they have a harder draw than the standard batteries, which I, for one, enjoy. The other interesting thing I noticed was that as you use the battery and it becomes discharged the cutoff seems to decrease. For example I had one that was almost dead last night and the cutoff was around 4 seconds rather than the 7. It's kinda nice because it gives you a little heads up that it needs to be charged.

Unfortunately, you gain nothing by charging a lithium-ion battery any longer than necessary. Back in the NiMH days, this was the honest and actual truth, but Lithium Ion does not benefit from all the charging in the world past the charging indicator's "charged" notification.

WWW.batteryuniversity.com for all your "wtf do i do with this li-ion battery?" needs. People a lot smarter than me with more money than I'll ever have to play with researched this for longer than I'll live (cumulatively) to bring us the facts here. Probably why I believe them. I was playing with Lithium Ion batteries before I knew about e-cigs, and I think before they were mass manufactured. Blew a few up too lol.

kc0cmp

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2009
Harlingen TX. USA
It seems to be stainless.

I will do a tutorial vid maybe tonight on my process.

the cartomizers are stainless too, but they work a lot better with the sticker on LOL, so tokin the chrome stogie is probably a bad idea in the cartomizer dept haha.

I expect there are several ways to remove the paint from a battery without wrecking the fairly well polished finish under it, but I've never really tried to do it on purpose...although i did pretty much eliminate paint from a lotta other model's atomizers by accident while cleaning

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
I had a bit of time to mess around with the short batteries last night and I wanted to share a few notes of what I have observed. Unlike the normal VK batteries the shorties definitely need a full charging cycle before use. They will work right away, but they work much better after the charge. Leaford recommended to me an 8 hour initial charge. These batteries also seem to take a bit to "break in". I have a couple that we a little finicky after the first charging cycle, but after the second charging cycle they sprang to life. These little babies put out a ton of vapor once they are dialed in. Also they have a harder draw than the standard batteries, which I, for one, enjoy. The other interesting thing I noticed was that as you use the battery and it becomes discharged the cutoff seems to decrease. For example I had one that was almost dead last night and the cutoff was around 4 seconds rather than the 7. It's kinda nice because it gives you a little heads up that it needs to be charged.

Just to reinforce that these are good batteries underneath the glaring flaw, Jon Solo found an easy fix for the unreliable power connection. I threw up a video of it, and as a bonus you can see just how much vapor it produces after you fix it!

YouTube - How to fix the V4L 65mm "Shortie" Battery

fwm

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2009
Arkansas
Hey, Mark - Thanks for the shortie in my recent order - I LOVE the looks of it - only problem is, I can't get it to charge. I've tried several times and it just won't take it. I really like the looks of it and want to use it, but I don't know how to fix it. It didn't have a charge on it when it arrived, so I tried to charge it and it never shows that it is working. I'm definitely going to order one on my next order - you sent purple....and I LIKE IT! Thank you. I watched the video on this thread, but my volume is screwed up on my computer - as soon as I get it fixed, maybe that will help me fix my cute little battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread