A few questions from a newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaping4dayz

Dec 18, 2015
Hey there! Just joined ecf tonight after browsing the forums for a couple of days. I love the community here and I just had to be a part of it. I have been vaping on and off for the last year and recently just began vaping again, this time picking up an iStick TC60W and an iSub tank. I have a few questions I was hoping could be answered by the awesome people of this forum, and please bare with me as I am a newb lol.

1. What are some good tanks for using with temperature control? (Preferably one that comes with nickel and titanium coils)
  2. I know that temperature control stops dry hits and burnt hits, but does it actually improve flavour of the vape, or have any significant differences to regular VW mode, other than stopping dry hits?
  3. This one may just be me, but I have a hard time vaping when I first wake up, I find it very harsh/dry on the throat and I tend to smoke one cig in the morning because of this, was just wondering if this is normal or heard of and if there's anyway to stop this?
Thank you all for taking the time to read this.:)

Reactions: David Wolf

vaping4dayz

Dec 18, 2015
1. There are quite a few. The Sub Tank Mini is a good middle of the road tank.

2. No.

3. Your mouth may be dried out, especially if you sleep with your mouth open. Hydrate before and as you vape. Brushing helps me, but that is not my very first priority in the morning.
Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated. I have looked into the sub tank mini and my only worry is about leaking as I have seen a few people mentioning that. Also being dehydrated is most likely what is happening as I try to vape as soon as I wake up because it's been my routine for years to wake up and have a cig to start my day.

Reactions: David Wolf

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
1) There are several. The Subtanks like posted above are just one brand, the Ego One Mega Tank is another. Just have to research the tank you are interested in and check if they produce TC coil heads in either Ni200 or Titanium, that or offer a rebuildable coil head that you can do so yourself.
2) TC primary purpose was to allow a user to control other bad radicals in the vapor aerosol, namely formaldehydes, acrolien gas, diacetyl/AP forming do to heat. Preventing wicking burning or dry hits are just a side effect. TC like basic Variable Voltage/Variable Wattage has to be dialed in the same way as those, to taste, throat hit, and vapor output preferences of the end user and particular juice, YMMV.
3) Dual using is not uncommon, morning cig in the morning is one of the hardest to kick the habit of, just like high stress, long time between vapes, before bed, after eating, when out social drinking, that first cig when you get in the car, etc. However if you are major cottonmouth in the morning after waking up, on top of a full glass of water first thing waking up I use biotene to help moisturize the mouth and such, might be worth looking into as well.

vaping4dayz

Dec 18, 2015
1) There are several. The Subtanks like posted above are just one brand, the Ego One Mega Tank is another. Just have to research the tank you are interested in and check if they produce TC coil heads in either Ni200 or Titanium, that or offer a rebuildable coil head that you can do so yourself.
2) TC primary purpose was to allow a user to control other bad radicals in the vapor aerosol, namely formaldehydes, acrolien gas, diacetyl/AP forming do to heat. Preventing wicking burning or dry hits are just a side effect. TC like basic Variable Voltage/Variable Wattage has to be dialed in the same way as those, to taste, throat hit, and vapor output preferences of the end user and particular juice, YMMV.
3) Dual using is not uncommon, morning cig in the morning is one of the hardest to kick the habit of, just like high stress, long time between vapes, before bed, after eating, when out social drinking, that first cig when you get in the car, etc. However if you are major cottonmouth in the morning after waking up, on top of a full glass of water first thing waking up I use biotene to help moisturize the mouth and such, might be worth looking into as well.
Thank you. Thats very interesting to hear that is the reason for temp control and actually gives me another reason to be glad I picked up this iStick TC mod :thumb: about dual using, is there risks of nicotine overdose when smoking both cigs & vaping? Hopefully using your advice will help me be able to cut out that morning cig, another step closer to being completely cig free!

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Thank you. Thats very interesting to hear that is the reason for temp control and actually gives me another reason to be glad I picked up this iStick TC mod :thumb: about dual using, is there risks of nicotine overdose when smoking both cigs & vaping? Hopefully using your advice will help me be able to cut out that morning cig, another step closer to being completely cig free!

I dual used for about 2 1/2 years before my full transition over to vaping. Never had any adverse affects of a nicotine overdose. We all transition in our own way and at our own pace. Just don't let breaking down and having an analog during the day get you down, retrain your brain, think about all the cigs you don't have to smoke when you can vape as a victory.

Reactions: vaping4dayz

vaping4dayz

Dec 18, 2015
I dual used for about 2 1/2 years before my full transition over to vaping. Never had any adverse affects of a nicotine overdose. We all transition in our own way and at our own pace. Just don't let breaking down and having an analog during the day get you down, retrain your brain, think about all the cigs you don't have to smoke when you can vape as a victory.
That's a very good way of looking at it. I appreciate the positivity, and I personally think taking it slow is going to be the most successful route for myself, as it has been for you as well. One more question, will your body begin to heal itself as it would completely quitting cigs? I realize that the research isn't there to say anything factually, just looking for an opinion.

Vaporliquid.ca

Unresolved Status
Dec 18, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

vaping4dayz

Dec 18, 2015
To answer #3, you could have a reaction to PG, or you could be using a higher MG liquid in a less than superior tank, thats why its recommended to start with 3MG in a subtank.
Interesting, I don't quite think I'm having a reaction as after about an hour or so of being awake I'm fine and the vape no longer bothers me whatsoever. I am using 18 mg juice in an iSub tank, which does use plastic rather than glass I'm not sure if that could be contributing to the issue, but I have had this problem with all my vapes.

Vaporliquid.ca

Unresolved Status
Dec 18, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Interesting, I don't quite think I'm having a reaction as after about an hour or so of being awake I'm fine and the vape no longer bothers me whatsoever. I am using 18 mg juice in an iSub tank, which does use plastic rather than glass I'm not sure if that could be contributing to the issue, but I have had this problem with all my vapes.

18mg in a sub-ohm tank is quite a lot of nicotine. I'm not judging, just saying.

18mg dried me out on a 4 watt cig-a-like. 18mg nearly knocked me over the first day I tried a Kanger Subtank... :eek:

vaping4dayz

Dec 18, 2015
18mg in a sub-ohm tank is quite a lot of nicotine. I'm not judging, just saying.

18mg dried me out on a 4 watt cig-a-like. 18mg nearly knocked me over the first day I tried a Kanger Subtank... :eek:
No doubt. So it most likely is the nicotine that is the culprit. Would 12 mg be enough to satisfy a chain smokers cravings? I used to smoke about a pack a day and now I'm down to around 3 to 4 a day. Just worried that dropping mgs will cause me to crave the real thing, however it is mind over matter.:unsure:

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
No doubt. So it most likely is the nicotine that is the culprit. Would 12 mg be enough to satisfy a chain smokers cravings? I used to smoke about a pack a day and now I'm down to around 3 to 4 a day. Just worried that dropping mgs will cause me to crave the real thing, however it is mind over matter.:unsure:

12mg at med/higher power is as good as 18mg in an eGo.
6mg sub-ohm is as good as 24mg in a cig-a-like.

Those comments could be accurate, but I made them up based on what I feel/know/read.

If you can handle 18mg at 20, 30, 40 watts and feel it is dosing you right (chain smoking is a serious business, obviously) then maybe. Vapers (new ones especially) shouldn't dwell too much on the amount of nicotine. I worried about it lots.

By my reckoning vaping 2-3ml of 18mg liquid was the same as 36-54mg Nicotine. That wasn't how it worked for me. So, I turned to ECF to find out a little more.

vaping4dayz

Dec 18, 2015
I can only answer the last question - I can't use my iSub tanks in the morning either, but for me it's about the amount of the vape - guess my lungs can't deal with high VG that early, so I'm tootlepuffing the first hour or two. Got a 1.5 ohm dual coil tank on 10.5W for morning vape :) With higher nic content ofc.
Glad I'm not the only one! Do you find that other tanks that are easier to use? If, what kind? I'd be really interested to know.

12mg at med/higher power is as good as 18mg in an eGo.
6mg sub-ohm is as good as 24mg in a cig-a-like.

Those comments could be accurate, but I made them up based on what I feel/know/read.

If you can handle 18mg at 20, 30, 40 watts and feel it is dosing you right (chain smoking is a serious business, obviously) then maybe. Vapers (new ones especially) shouldn't dwell too much on the amount of nicotine. I worried about it lots.

By my reckoning vaping 2-3ml of 18mg liquid was the same as 36-54mg Nicotine. That wasn't how it worked for me. So, I turned to ECF to find out a little more.
I did tend to find that 18 mg might be a bit too much because I am constantly using my vape anyways, and im beginning to suspect that has a lot to do with some of the harsh throat hits I've been getting. I decided to get a new juice today with 12 mg and a max VG blend because Ive been hearing lots of good things about it compared to PG which seems to be less popular. I don't mind lowering my mgs anyways, my goal with vaping is to eventually wean myself down to 0 mg, but slowly. Thank you everyone for the help btw! You guys rock :banana:

Reactions: djsvapour

vaping4dayz

Dec 18, 2015
VG is very much used by the "cloud" crowd. But, it is less harsh and stepping down a notch will help. Also, lowering your watts/raise resistance will cool the vape.
So far I'm really enjoying the VG juice(Root Beer Float:D), it is much smoother and even though I'm down to 12 mg I'm still totally satisfied and then some. I normally vape at a lower wattage around 23.5 - 30 depending. Unfortunately the iSub tanks only come with .5 and .2 resistance coils and you can't buy them any higher anywhere (that I could find).

ChildWithATemper

Aug 10, 2015
Denmark
Well, that's as individual as everything else in the vaping world... I'm using Aerotanks for tootlepuffing first thing in the morning and about an hour before bed. But to be honest, I'm nowhere near your nic concentrations, so I don't know if that's an issue. I do sub ohm with 3 mg/ml but when I first started, I went with 6 and it made me nausious and made my throat hurt, although i was tootlepuffing 12-14 mg/ml with no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread