Temp control question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkie5174

May 4, 2018
Relatively new to vaping with an RTA, now I'm interested in running temperature control. I have just bought these pre-built coils and I'm wondering if you guys can help me by telling me if any of them are suitable for running on temp control? I currently have one of the '0.36 ohm Tiger Coils' in my Vandyvape Kylin tank. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20180504_204046.jpg
    20180504_204046.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
If none of them say what material they're made of, then no. TC only works with certain metals, and you have to use the correct mode (or TCR value if your device allows custom values) for the chosen metal. The most common wire for TC coils these days I believe is Stainless Steel (works in wattage mode also); Titanium and Nickel can also be used but they are older tech, and can not be used in wattage mode, they are TC wires only. Popular materials that can't do TC are Kanthal and Nichrome. Those should be used in wattage mode only. One of those is also likely what your coils are made of, since they don't seem to say otherwise.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Bwh79 summed it up pretty concisely. I have nothing to add.

I will say I've tried TC and wasn't that impressed. To do TC correctly I think it takes some tinkering and I didn't have the patience. I'm pretty much a die hard watts kind of guy, I guess.

Last edited:

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Those are Kanthal coils if I'm not mistaken, no shot at TC (except if you have a hohmtech or dicodes mod).
What mod are you using? That's usually more important than the tank you put on top (well that and the coil material). Some mods won't do good TC and with those I wouldn't recommend trying it, it would only deter you from ever using it.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Depending on the mod, some will kick you out of TC if you try it with kanthal. The worst that happens is you burn a wick because the mod is trying to increase the Ω at a rate that isn't happening, similar to having it set at the wrong TCR for the material you're using.
But if untar knows they're kanthal it won't work (unless you have one of those two mods designed for kanthal TCR).

Reactions: stols001

Birkie5174

May 4, 2018
Those are Kanthal coils if I'm not mistaken, no shot at TC (except if you have a hohmtech or dicodes mod).
What mod are you using? That's usually more important than the tank you put on top (well that and the coil material). Some mods won't do good TC and with those I wouldn't recommend trying it, it would only deter you from ever using it.
I'm using the Smok T-Priv 220w mod

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Ok, then I'd hold off on TC. You can have a perfectly fine relaxed vape in VW mode and don't need to to loose your hair over SMOK TC. It's the only chip I was never able to get TC working right (and I'm a TC only vaper).

In the low-to-mid price range teslacigs, smoant and geekvape (even joyetech) have all made chips that do a decent TC mode, so if you really want to try it then one of those would give you a better experience.

Inni

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Pasadena, California, US
I am so confused. Some of the things I read make it sound like you can only do one or the other --- Temp control OR Wattage --- then I read something else and it seems like they work together.... If I have a
Cool Fire IV TC 100W Temperature Control Vaping System - Innokin, how do I switch to wattage mode only? ;-)

Last post on the subject, I promise ... just a bit frustrated. After 3 years of vaping, you would think I would be better at this. :(

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
The confusion comes from the fact that in most TC modes there is a wattage setting.
Here's how it works:
The wattage you set in TC is what the mod will fire at first. When TC kicks in to limit the temperature it takes over wattage regulation and the value you set won't matter any more.
In effect the wattage you set in TC mode governs how quickly your wire will reach the max temperature you set, lower wattages mean slower ramp up and higher wattages mean faster ramp up. Just set the wattage in TC to the one you're used to with your builds in wattage mode and you'll be fine.

As to how you switch to wattage mode on the Innokin Coolfire - sorry, no idea, you'll have to look into a video or read the manual.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
SMOK TC. It's the only chip I was never able to get TC working right

Interesting because it was the Smok M80 lying scam of TC (actually a pre-programmed curve) that has me not willing to ever by another of their mods. Steal from me once I won't give you another chance.
I wonder why they're still having problems? I thought they had it right on the one you bought the upgrades to.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Interesting because it was the Smok M80 lying scam of TC (actually a pre-programmed curve) that has me not willing to ever by another of their mods. Steal from me once I won't give you another chance.
I wonder why they're still having problems? I thought they had it right on the one you bought the upgrades to.
There are others that have done their level best to make people swear off temp control. Ijoy, Council of Vapor...

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
I wonder why they're still having problems?
Mine was an alien and last year I tried to set up TC for a friend on some somethingsomething-Priv which failed as well. I don't personally know about all their mods but from what I hear they're not there yet.
Maybe because that would involve actually developing and testing for a while instead of pumping out mods like there's no tomorrow but that's just my own hypothesis.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
There are others that have done their level best to make people swear off temp control. Ijoy, Council of Vapor...

After my Smok experience I try to delay getting anything too new until I hear the complaints and preferably get a Pbusardo review. Plus I haven't much lately.

Maybe because that would involve actually developing and testing for a while instead of pumping out mods like there's no tomorrow but that's just my own hypothesis.

Seems plausible. Others had TC when the M80 came out. They seemed to think what they made was actually TC. I think it was Cube I thought they had it figured out with but couldn't believe people were paying money for TCR updates while everyone else expands features as part of your purchase. (Except P4U who just puts out a new model.)

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Interesting because it was the Smok M80 lying scam of TC ... that has me not willing to ever by another of their mods. Steal from me once I won't give you another chance.
Maybe simply because its a SMOK? :evil:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome to ECF. I always use SS because it is safe in either wattage or TC. As you are discovering, your TC settings will, in part be based on how you vape. I like getting a coil set up for TC, but vaping it in wattage mode a while to see how it performs.

Typically, I use whatever wattage I enjoy in wattage mode as my "ramp up" to TC, and once the coil gets hot (you can't start at 0 wattage as the mod has nothing to "read" if the coil isn't first heated up. From there, you can see what temperature "ceiling" works for you. I keep my temps as puny as my wattage, but I am a MTL vaper. I use around 350 F, and it's rare (unless out and about with fewer vapes) for me to hit that ceiling, in fact I often will use wattage mode at home because I rotate my setups enough to find that I don't need my coil temp "'monitored" and I figure I'm just wasting battery life.

Of course, smok doesn't do a great TC. Please don't use it to "define" your TC experience-- because you won't enjoy it (potentially) and yes, there are other non DNA mods that do TC far better than smok, Teslacigs is one such manufacturer. I don't know what they did to their board, but my teslacigs mods are about as close to DNA mods as you can get, without actually purchasing a DNA mod. I learned to do TC on them and I was not disappointed.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread