A few questions, Tornado or Screwdriver

Status
Not open for further replies.

sda2010

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2010
Pittsburgh
Great forum here, I see it will turn out to be a great help. I have purchased a Blu kit, and though it seemed "OK", it didnt replace my smoking habit much. A friend had a Tornado I tried and it seemed so much better. I have now decided to give the Screwdriver a try and had a few questions.

Whats the difference between a 901 or a 501 atomizer?

If i am refilling cartridges, how long do they last? (Not the liquid in them, the actual life of the cartridge before I must dispose of them).

If more vapor is desired, am I better off getting the Tornado with the low resist atomizer and the MEGA battery for longer battery life?

Thanks for any replies, Its all kind of new, but with so many things out there, very confusing.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Whats the difference between a 901 or a 501 atomizer?
The main difference between atomizers is how much resistance they have.

The 901 has more resistance, so it runs cooler than the 510 atomizer.
That also means it should produce a little less vapor, and maybe a bit more flavor.

If i am refilling cartridges, how long do they last? (Not the liquid in them, the actual life of the cartridge before I must dispose of them).
If you are talking about refilling them yourself, the cartridge itself lasts a very long time.

The filler material inside the cartridge will last for quite a few refills.
After awhile it will stop working quite as well, and should be washed or replaced.

After awhile you will probably wind up using a different filler material anyway.
So really, this question is probably not as relevant as you think it is right now.

If more vapor is desired, am I better off getting the Tornado with the low resist atomizer and the MEGA battery for longer battery life?
Better of than with what alternative?

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
Well, asking what the difference between the Tornado and the screwdriver is pretty much the same question as the difference between the 510 and 901.
The Tornado is TWs branded 510 eGo and the Screwdriver is typically a 901 fitted device.
The first big difference that comes to mind is that the Tornado has a proprietary battery with the switch built in that costs $20.00 to replace. The Screwdriver takes a 14500 battery that costs about $5.00 to replace. The Tornado/ eGo battery is rated at 650 mAh and the 14500 battery for the Scrwedriver is rated at 900 mAh so it holds a charge longer.
The other main difference is in the atomizers. The 510 is supposedly bigger on vapor and the 901 is definitely bigger on flavor. I have mods in both formats and I prefer to go the flavor route.
In conclusion, the Screwdriver uses batteries that cost less and hold a charge longer and uses the atomizer that I like better. You may be able to get the Screwdriver fitted for the 510 as well but I'm not absolutely sure about that.

Grenage

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
I have both e-cigs, and they're good units with pros/cons. The SD was the first real battery mod, and it gave people massive battery life and cheap replacement batteries. Other than that, it's a 901.

The eGo/Tornado uses proprietary batteries that don't last as long as the SD (I believe there are now double-capacity batteries) which cost a lot more. Other than that, it's a 510.

My opinion on the atomisers: 510 = more throat hit, 901 = more flavour. I'd personally stay away from low resistance atomisers while you are starting out. I now use the Tornado as my sole device; it's smaller.

Grenage

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Thanks again, never realized these things were so complex.

They're actually incredibly simple, pretty much all of these e-cigs you see are simple battery or voltage mods for the usual atomisers. All a starter needs to worry about is having enough power (many small or few large batteries) and a juice they like. Spare atomisers and batteries are a must!

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
I think that these 18350 batteries at 1200mAh are unprotected.
Do you think that it will be dangerous to use them on the SD?
Until now i'm using the protected from T.W. which are at 900mAh and i was thinking about the 1200 bat i'm not sure...

These here at madvapes are protected, 1200 mAh 18350s Protected 18350 Lithium Ion Battery
You can trust Mark at madvapes on this. He's "good people".

whynotvap

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
amerika
Sorry I'm a newb but I had to check the exchange rate :D. Looks like the dollar is slowly climbing back in line to where it was compared to the pound! According to xe.com that puts a bag @ $2.18! Now for the reason that's relevant, I could only find the Mk II SD in the UK and 1.45/shilling it's not as bad of a price as it would have been a year or so ago when it was almost 2 to 1.

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
deal extreme doesn't sell 18350, i searched but i didn't find any.
Mad vapes is the guy!

You might like dealing with them. I buy lots of mod parts from them. They have all kinds of things there and if Mark packs your shipment he likes to throw fun little free bonus items in sometimes. :) He's pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread