A Few Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turkish

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2011
New York
So I've decided to revert back to my pen battery and pre-filled carts, and I have to admit that this was brought on by the fact that I'm vaping more, spending more, and have assembled a rather large rig just for my nicotine intake. In all honesty, since I dropped analogs, my nicotine intake has increased at least four-fold- no lie! I'm really thankful that I was introduced and started using electronic cigarettes- without them I would still be smoking analogs- but my own preference now is to lessen the amount of nicotine I take in.

My pen battery and pre-fills work very well (too well, actually), and they cost me less than buying blanks, liquid, adapters, and the occasional new battery. Also, I personally believe that the constant intake of pure nicotine can't be a good thing; surely it's better than analogs, but I think constant vaping might be bad as well. I too have heard reputable physicians in my home town tell me that pure nicotine is just another stimulant (albeit a "hard" stimulant) so theoretically, one could consume it indefinitely, but I prefer to somehow lessen that consumption in some way.

I want to thank everyone that forced me to quit analogs, and I especially thank all you ECF members for your support through the forum. Without this community, I would have surely felt lost and perhaps would have given up on the whole e-cigarette. Thank you all, and best of luck! :2cool:

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
I don't think we really know exactly how much nicotine we're intaking from the use of a pv. Additional chemicals added to cigarettes actually change the pH of nicotine along with allowing the body to further intake nicotine, along with many other additional chemicals in the body.

12mg of nicotine in your pack of cigarettes goes a LONG ways further than 12mg in your cartridge that you vape. Because of those additional chemicals.

Sure, you're inhaling a great deal of nicotine when you vape all day, but, how much of that is actually absorbed into your body? We do not know for sure. Just from the way you feel though, do you really imagine it to be more than cigarettes?

But as for costs go, do what you feel is right for you, my friend :) Whether it be for your pocket or your health. As long as you're not smoking, I believe you've got the right idea ;)

Turkish

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2011
New York
I don't think we really know exactly how much nicotine we're intaking from the use of a pv. Additional chemicals added to cigarettes actually change the pH of nicotine along with allowing the body to further intake nicotine, along with many other additional chemicals in the body.

12mg of nicotine in your pack of cigarettes goes a LONG ways further than 12mg in your cartridge that you vape. Because of those additional chemicals.

Sure, you're inhaling a great deal of nicotine when you vape all day, but, how much of that is actually absorbed into your body? We do not know for sure. Just from the way you feel though, do you really imagine it to be more than cigarettes?

But as for costs go, do what you feel is right for you, my friend :) Whether it be for your pocket or your health. As long as you're not smoking, I believe you've got the right idea ;)

Intuitively, I think you're right about the difference in nicotine within e-cigs and analogs, and I have no issue with it. Just that I've found myself vaping everywhere except outdoors (I try to leave it at home), and my "smoke box" has accumulated enough toys to make MacGyver have a field day! Nothing wrong with amassing such units and liquids etc; just that I think I'm over it, and now I'd like to somehow start taking it down a notch. What's really helped is reverting to my pen batteries and pre-filled carts. Would you believe, the pre-fills taste and last longer, and because I don't order liquids anymore, I've been forced to pace myself, so to speak.

Do I imagine my nicotine level to be more than what I consumed through analogs? Maybe, I'm not familiar with chemistry and so on. But theoretically, if I consumed a pack a day, and that pack contained about 20mg of nicotine, I guarantee it that I exceed that daily; which to me is a shame.

Anyway, it's not a serious issue- just that my own take on it is for me to lower the amount I vape. Don't think I'm able to let it go completely, but I'll try to keep it to when I really use it (morning paper, after lunch, dinner, drinks, etc).

Turkish

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Hey Turkish! Good job on quitting analogs. I'm just not very worried about the nicotine. Yes it is another stimulant, very similar to caffeine. While still not technically "good" for us, it's much better than the blending of all the chemicals found in analogs. Keep vaping my friend!

Nice to meet you, man- and thanks! I appreciate that. I quit on Valentine's Day 2011 and I've never looked back. And you're right: nicotine in this way is not something to worry about in general, but in my head, this particular issue of higher nicotine intake made me take it down a bit. I mean, this view of mine is just a matter of taste- not an objective argument by no means.

But, I will definitely keep on vaping! Cheers

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
Anyway, it's not a serious issue- just that my own take on it is for me to lower the amount I vape. Don't think I'm able to let it go completely, but I'll try to keep it to when I really use it (morning paper, after lunch, dinner, drinks, etc).

Do what you gotta do :)

I have it in mind to one day possibly quit it all, but I give myself no actual date as not to add pressure to myself. You know what's good for you. I am happy that you've found your niche. If you ever find that you are worried about the amount of nicotine that is in your system after a days worth of vaping, I'm sure you can go to your doctor and have blood work done to see how much nicotine is actually in your system. I've been wanting to get one of those home tests to see if nicotine shows up :D just for my own curious inquisition. :D

Either way, I am again happy you have your mind set on what is working for you.

Turkish

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Do what you gotta do :)

I have it in mind to one day possibly quit it all, but I give myself no actual date as not to add pressure to myself. You know what's good for you. I am happy that you've found your niche. If you ever find that you are worried about the amount of nicotine that is in your system after a days worth of vaping, I'm sure you can go to your doctor and have blood work done to see how much nicotine is actually in your system. I've been wanting to get one of those home tests to see if nicotine shows up :D just for my own curious inquisition. :D

Either way, I am again happy you have your mind set on what is working for you.

Hey thanks, appreciate that! And I didn't know a physician could take blood and measure it; but it does sound reasonable. Why couldn't they? Might take some time to get results from a lab, but sure. Not a bad idea..

I'm not that stressed about the amount of nicotine I take, just that taking it down a notch might be a good idea for me; like you say, whatever works. Thanks for your support! Hope you let it all go someday!

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
Turkish, there is no right way to vape or quit analogs, despite some strong opinions. Whatever works for you is good. I vape a lot more than I used to smoke, but I cut my nic down to 6mg, which could be why I vape so much (running in circle). Like you, I just wanted a substitute for analogs, has to be safer minus the chemicals in burning. I never got into the hobby part of vaping. Maybe the freshness is wearing off for you too?

Just read in some thread (with scientific references) the different nic absorption rates of vaping and smoking, much less in vaping. Smoke particles that carry the nic are much smaller than vapor, for instance, and don't penetrate lungs as deeply. On top of that, BT adds things to expedite the nic absorption, and who knows what else.

Eventually, I hope to cut the nic down to 0, and go on in life without the adult pacifier. :)

Last edited:

Wil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2011
Chapel Hill, NC
www.awesomeclouds.com
Hey thanks, appreciate that! And I didn't know a physician could take blood and measure it; but it does sound reasonable. Why couldn't they? Might take some time to get results from a lab, but sure. Not a bad idea..

I'm not that stressed about the amount of nicotine I take, just that taking it down a notch might be a good idea for me; like you say, whatever works. Thanks for your support! Hope you let it all go someday!

It's a Urine Cotinine test. Someone adept at reading them (and your average general practitioner probably isn't) will be able to tell if you're smoking, using nicotine replacement therapies, or have "incidental contact" with cigarette smoke.

In the past, I worked with a lung transplant team, and passing this test is a pre-requisite to be considered for transplant. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that our tests would look like those on replacement drugs...

Turkish

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Turkish, there is no right way to vape or quit analogs, despite some strong opinions. Whatever works for you is good. I vape a lot more than I used to smoke, but I cut my nic down to 6mg, which could be why I vape so much (running in circle). Like you, I just wanted a substitute for analogs, has to be safer minus the chemicals in burning. I never got into the hobby part of vaping. Maybe the freshness is wearing off for you too?

Just read in some thread (with scientific references) the different nic absorption rates of vaping and smoking, much less in vaping. Smoke particles that carry the nic are much smaller than vapor, for instance, and don't penetrate lungs as deeply. On top of that, BT adds things to expedite the nic absorption, and who knows what else.

Eventually, I hope to cut the nic down to 0, and go on in life without the adult pacifier. :)

I agree completely: I'm certain it's a better alternative than analogs, and now that you made reference to such a thread (backed by scientific figures), then Levitas was right in saying various other chemicals extend the lower doses of nicotine in analogs even though it seems we're taking more in from vaping. I just blurted it out there that to me, I feel I'm on that "adult pacifier" all day and would like to tone it down. I LOVE the fact that e-cigs took me off analogs, and now I'd like to slowly remove the pacifier. Great term, by the way!

I got into it quite well- but not so deep as to start with mods and study the electrical engineering of the systems available. Different liquids, batteries, carts, and miscellaneous stuff from various vendors all over the country entailed more involvement (via time and money) in the whole vaping experience, and I guess it got a little tiring to me. In point, I was starting to feel like I had acquired a technical hobby, and I was getting quite good at it but it wasn't something I wanted. I just wanted to vape less than I smoked, and I found myself more involved in the entire process than I ever was in my old filthy habit.

The exchange was a good one, but now I've come to a point where I'd like it on occasion; not sucking on it throughout the day. But again, this is a personal preference- others might not mind the constant intake of nicotine. I too, my friend, would like to "go on in life without the adult pacifier!" Cheers!

Turkish

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2011
New York
It's a Urine Cotinine test. Someone adept at reading them (and your average general practitioner probably isn't) will be able to tell if you're smoking, using nicotine replacement therapies, or have "incidental contact" with cigarette smoke.

In the past, I worked with a lung transplant team, and passing this test is a pre-requisite to be considered for transplant. I suspect (but don't know for sure) that our tests would look like those on replacement drugs...

That is crazy; I didn't even know that. And congrats on 81 days of no analogs!

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
I got into it quite well- but not so deep as to start with mods and study the electrical engineering of the systems available. Different liquids, batteries, carts, and miscellaneous stuff from various vendors all over the country entailed more involvement (via time and money) in the whole vaping experience, and I guess it got a little tiring to me. In point, I was starting to feel like I had acquired a technical hobby, and I was getting quite good at it but it wasn't something I wanted. I just wanted to vape less than I smoked, and I found myself more involved in the entire process than I ever was in my old filthy habit.

The exchange was a good one, but now I've come to a point where I'd like it on occasion; not sucking on it throughout the day. But again, this is a personal preference- others might not mind the constant intake of nicotine. I too, my friend, would like to "go on in life without the adult pacifier!" Cheers!

If you like "adult pacifier", you'd like this too: I tried to go from smoker to vaper, but ended up an electrician.

UBU and don't let them tell you otherwise! I went from 510 minis to eGos, but that's good enough for me....as much as I wanted to be an electrician. :laugh:

Edit: btw, the more you learn about science, the more it resembles religion, with its dogmas and orthodoxies.

Edit2: found the nic absorption thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/188935-dr-murray-laugesen-how-much-nicotine-do-we-absorb.html. Maybe too much info. Vaping is smoking without the SMOKE, therefore from 4,000 chemical to perhaps < 20 and that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

Turkish

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2011
New York
If you like "adult pacifier", you'd like this too: I tried to go from smoker to vaper, but ended up an electrician.

UBU and don't let them tell you otherwise! I went from 510 minis to eGos, but that's good enough for me....as much as I wanted to be an electrician. :laugh:

Edit: btw, the more you learn about science, the more it resembles religion, with its dogmas and orthodoxies.

Edit2: found the nic absorption thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/188935-dr-murray-laugesen-how-much-nicotine-do-we-absorb.html. Maybe too much info. Vaping is smoking without the SMOKE, therefore from 4,000 chemical to perhaps < 20 and that's good enough for me.

Absolutely- less than twenty is preferable, given that I still want nicotine in this way. Ended up as an electrician.. lol! I hear ya..

Btw, why is it that science ends up resembling a religion of sorts with its rich variety in dogmatic orthodoxies? How did this happen? But that's another thread for another forum, I presume. Funny that you mention religion, though; today I saw a couple of people praying under the Apple altar on Fifth Avenue. Funny.

fray

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
arkansas
www.ejoose.com

Edit2: found the nic absorption thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-laugesen-how-much-nicotine-do-we-absorb.html. Maybe too much info. Vaping is smoking without the SMOKE, therefore from 4,000 chemical to perhaps < 20 and that's good enough for me.

IMO the biggest difference between science and religion is that science will change depending on evidence.

There are crackpots in both groups though.

A quote from bill nye "science is the best thing humanity has ever come up with, and if it's not then science will fix it"

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
Absolutely- less than twenty is preferable, given that I still want nicotine in this way. Ended up as an electrician.. lol! I hear ya..

Btw, why is it that science ends up resembling a religion of sorts with its rich variety in dogmatic orthodoxies? How did this happen? But that's another thread for another forum, I presume. Funny that you mention religion, though; today I saw a couple of people praying under the Apple altar on Fifth Avenue. Funny.

Going slightly OT, here's my short version - to a certain point, science also relies on blind faith just as religion. Decade after decade, what was accepted as scientific facts were overturned by new discoveries. Yet despite this historical pattern, the scientific establishment today is still quick to dismiss any evidence outside the accepted "norm". Why? Because it's not what was taught them, because of peer pressure, and because of their belief in what they know. Decades ago, the medical community believed that tonsils and the appendix were useless organs in our body and performed elective surgery to remove them. This is no longer done since they found these organs to possess beneficial qualities. Another case of "we thought we knew". What will we learn about nicotine, tobacco and PG, VG in 20 years? Anybody's guess.

I'm off my soapbox. :)

fray

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
arkansas
www.ejoose.com
Going slightly OT, here's my short version - to a certain point, science also relies on blind faith just as religion. Decade after decade, what was accepted as scientific facts were overturned by new discoveries. Yet despite this historical pattern, the scientific establishment today is still quick to dismiss any evidence outside the accepted "norm". Why? Because it's not what was taught them, because of peer pressure, and because of their belief in what they know. Decades ago, the medical community believed that tonsils and the appendix were useless organs in our body and performed elective surgery to remove them. This is no longer done since they found these organs to possess beneficial qualities. Another case of "we thought we knew". What will we learn about nicotine, tobacco and PG, VG in 20 years? Anybody's guess.

I'm off my soapbox. :)

I agree with you to a point. There is resistance in the scientific community, but it is the skeptical nature of peer review that keeps pseudo science from taking over completely. When confronted with undeniably accurate evidence the scientific community will adapt the new idea. Just like any community made of individuals, there will be people who will dismiss it because it clashes with their theory.

A as a whole, the Christian religion cannot give up that the earth is only 6000 years old despite gobs of scientific evidence proving otherwise. Individuals will make their own opinions despite what the church's stance is.

Sorry off topic lol

JustaGuy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
Beyond The Sea
I agree with you to a point. There is resistance in the scientific community, but it is the skeptical nature of peer review that keeps pseudo science from taking over completely. When confronted with undeniably accurate evidence the scientific community will adapt the new idea. Just like any community made of individuals, there will be people who will dismiss it because it clashes with their theory.

A as a whole, the Christian religion cannot give up that the earth is only 6000 years old despite gobs of scientific evidence proving otherwise. Individuals will make their own opinions despite what the church's stance is.

Sorry off topic lol

I agree with you. The thing that bothers me is we're taught every "accepted, not necessarily proven" theory as fact. Carbon dating cannot determine the age of stones, yet scientists insist on an age for the pyramids and refuse to look at other theories. Until Eugene Shoemaker discovered the meteor crater in the Yucatan Peninsula, we were told dinosaur extinction by another means. I just think too many scientists have closed their minds. I'm an atheist, so I'm not defending religion. Since we're going OT, we can continue this conversation in PM or another forum if you choose. :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread, Turkish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread