A great find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2019
North-Central PA (flyover country)
I was in another town for work yesterday and as I often do, searched for vape shops. Google returned one shop in this town so I made my way there. It is more of a smoke shop with tobacco, CBD, pipes, bongs, and the usual stuff, but there was one case with vaping supplies. The clerk said that they are getting out of vaping and everything is on sale. I was surprised to see replacement tanks for a full size Nautilus. So I bought two plain glass tanks and two tanks with the cut-out metal cover all for $11.96 !! I haven't used the Nautilus in several years, but might break one out just for old times sake.

Has anyone ever used a Nautilus on a mech mod? With a 1.6 ohm coil, you'd end up at 10 watts, which would be a fine tootle puffer. A 21700 battery would last a long time with that.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Has anyone ever used a Nautilus on a mech mod? With a 1.6 ohm coil, you'd end up at 10 watts, which would be a fine tootle puffer. A 21700 battery would last a long time with that.
    I haven't either, but I use my Brunhilde w/ a 1.8 ohm coil on either my Sir Lancelot mech, my Armor 'reg mech', or my Cold Steel reg in bypass mode. When I put that tank on my Cold Steel in VW mode or on my iStick in VW, I play in the 8 watt ballpark. That's about 3.8 volts and I like playing there. I have to recharge an 18650 after 3 days or so, a 21700 obviously lasts a few days longer.

Reactions: Ed Brown

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Never used a Nautilus on a mech myself. I just dug one out and took a look. With a coil installed the positive pin sticks out quite a bit from the neg ring. But it's spring loaded with a weak spring. A very small amount of force will push the pin up until it's even with the neg ring, which isn't good on a mech. Guess it could be done but you would need to be really careful not to screw it in too far.

That's an original Nautilus, maybe later models work differently.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    But it's spring loaded with a weak spring. A very small amount of force will push the pin up until it's even with the neg ring,

Mick's right. I just checked and the center pin pushes-in flush with the 510 threads. The only safe way to use the Nauti on a mech is if the positive pin on the mech is narrower than the 510 threads on the nautilus so that when it pushes in the pos pin on the nautilus the positive pin on the mech won't be touching the negative 510 threads on the nautilus. .

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    20211113_202518.jpg

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    This is a hybrid mech, which would be disastrous as you mentioned UncleJunkle. But this heat sink has a very narrow pin.

Yup, the heatsink fixes that kind of problem. I use heatinks on all my mods but I know most people don't seem to so I didn't bother mentioning it as a solution.

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    No. When I first got into vaping, the shop sold me some very cheap pens and I chose 24 mg juice thinking that more is better and it was a bad scene. Later I got a Nautilus mini which was better. Then some guys at work were using sub ohm tanks and their clouds made me feel inferior, so I upped the watts, the flavor deteriorated and coils got burnt regularly. So I went to sub ohm, and then when coils got hard to find I went to rebuildables, and never looked back. Learning about rebuildables, mech mods, ohms law, etc, has really educated me on the nuances of vaping, and tonight I pulled out a Nautilus and was able to really enjoy it for what it is. I tried it side by side with a Zeus X RTA and the Nautilus has better flavor by far. And that's with new cotton in the Zeus.

Oregon Linda

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 1, 2013
    Salem, OR
    Yup, the heatsink fixes that kind of problem. I use heatinks on all my mods but I know most people don't seem to so I didn't bother mentioning it as a solution.

I use them on all my mods, too, to save my 510 threads. I messed up the threads on the first VAMO I bought way back when and have used something as a thread protector ever since. If I ever have a mod fail, it won't be because of that.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2009
    Tennessee, USA
    I'm currently running an old Smok clearomizer on Nemisis clone, which also has a center pin. Only I few months ago I was running a Nautilus on the same mod. The Nemisis center pin is very narrow and I never had any issues with it shorting. With the Smok clearo there is no spring loaded pin though. In fact it uses the center pin of the coil itself to make the connection (1.8 ohm T3S). I know, I should be running this with a Kick "just because" but I can't find the Kick extension ring at the moment.

Reactions: Ed Brown
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread