A little advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianW25

Jul 25, 2020
Hi all,

I smoked for about 5 years (1-2 packs a day during the last few) and eventually bought a Juul. After about a year of suffering with buying new ones I switched to a mod (havent had a .... since). I've been using it for about 6 months now and there are some things I just can't figure out about it - I'm hoping for a little help here. (If it matters, I have the Voopoo drag mini)

First off, it seems like coils go bad at different rates. I understand that 'maybe I had to much to fast' and hit it multiple times within ~15 seconds. But is that like a one time thing? You do it once and -poof- your coil is dead? Also, even when I don't go ham on it, they sometimes die unnaturally quick. I base this off a burnt taste, but is there a chance I'm imagining it? Is there a better diagnostic test to see if a coil is dead other than just taste?

Second, I absolutely hate getting juice in my mouth (as I'm sure we all do). I think I've gotten a handle on how to keep that from happening, but there seems to be another phenomenon that is related - and yet I cant find info online. Sometimes when I hit my vape I don't get liquid, but it seems like the vapor coats my entire mouth in a thin (for lack of a better word) coat. It tastes super strong and has similar effects to getting liquid juice in my mouth but more dispersed. I've noticed that this doesn't happen with my friends vape (same model) but he uses a different brand of juice. I've also noticed that it happens much more strongly after a thorough cleaning. Could it be the juice? And if so, why does it only happen to me when I've recently cleaned my vape?

Those are my questions (for now). I would really appreciate any advice/knowledge on the subjects. Sorry its such a long post! Thanks in advance if you even took the time to read it, and double thanks in advance if you respond!! :)

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

I smoked for about 5 years (1-2 packs a day during the last few) and eventually bought a Juul. After about a year of suffering with buying new ones I switched to a mod (havent had a .... since). I've been using it for about 6 months now and there are some things I just can't figure out about it - I'm hoping for a little help here. (If it matters, I have the Voopoo drag mini)

First off, it seems like coils go bad at different rates. I understand that 'maybe I had to much to fast' and hit it multiple times within ~15 seconds. But is that like a one time thing? You do it once and -poof- your coil is dead? Also, even when I don't go ham on it, they sometimes die unnaturally quick. I base this off a burnt taste, but is there a chance I'm imagining it? Is there a better diagnostic test to see if a coil is dead other than just taste?

Second, I absolutely hate getting juice in my mouth (as I'm sure we all do). I think I've gotten a handle on how to keep that from happening, but there seems to be another phenomenon that is related - and yet I cant find info online. Sometimes when I hit my vape I don't get liquid, but it seems like the vapor coats my entire mouth in a thin (for lack of a better word) coat. It tastes super strong and has similar effects to getting liquid juice in my mouth but more dispersed. I've noticed that this doesn't happen with my friends vape (same model) but he uses a different brand of juice. I've also noticed that it happens much more strongly after a thorough cleaning. Could it be the juice? And if so, why does it only happen to me when I've recently cleaned my vape?

Those are my questions (for now). I would really appreciate any advice/knowledge on the subjects. Sorry its such a long post! Thanks in advance if you even took the time to read it, and double thanks in advance if you respond!! :)
    Hi Brian, welcome to the Forum.
    A burnt coil is normally identified by the horrible taste when drawing on it. Signs of a coil on it's way out is a loss of vapour and the need to increase the wattage to get the same vape. And the tank starting to leak more that it would normally.
    If coils are burning out too quick it could be a few different things. Chain vaping, high Vg, high wattage.
    The most important thing to do with and nee coil is to prime it properly.this will pay dividends in the long term.
    Drip a few drops of juice into the top and sides of the wick to saturate it. Put the coil in your tank and fill the tank up. Leave the tank to stand for 15 mins to fully saturate the wick. Take one or two draws on the tank without firing the mod. Set the wattage of the mod to low wattage and take a few draws. Slowing increase the wattage in increments each time taking a few draws until you reach the desired wattage that your happy vaping at.
    This will bed in your coil and should last you weeks of vaping.
    High vg and sweetened juice will reduce coil life too.
    With regards to your other question, what juice are you vaping and what wattage are you vaping at?

Oli Squire

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2020
    Welcome to the forum! All I can add to the above is something my mum has a habit of doing which ultimately ruins her coils quite quickly.
    She has a habit of pre-firing her vape for a few seconds before she starts to draw back on it and then onece she's taken the drag, she holds the button for a further second or so again.
    I've noticed a few ex-smokers/new MTL or pod type vapers do this and it ultimately means your coils aren't getting cooled down quickly.
    But all of Richards points are way more valid and more likely to be related to the problems you're having!

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Welcome to the forum! All I can add to the above is something my mum has a habit of doing which ultimately ruins her coils quite quickly.
    She has a habit of pre-firing her vape for a few seconds before she starts to draw back on it and then onece she's taken the drag, she holds the button for a further second or so again.
    I've noticed a few ex-smokers/new MTL or pod type vapers do this and it ultimately means your coils aren't getting cooled down quickly.
    But all of Richards points are way more valid and more likely to be related to the problems you're having!
    Good point. Doing the opposite to that will help also. Just before you finish drawing, release the fire button, this will pull the juice back thru the wick ready for when you vape again.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Welcome to you! I had the same issue in my early days. I decided to get a rebuildable and tinker with it while I still used factory made coils. With a bit of YouTube guidance, I built it and included it in my rotation. It took only a week to realize that the flavor was so much better. I immediately bought several more and retired my old ones.

It took less than a week...

Good luck!

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    First off, it seems like coils go bad at different rates. I understand that 'maybe I had to much to fast' and hit it multiple times within ~15 seconds. But is that like a one time thing? You do it once and -poof- your coil is dead?

Yes, it can happen that way. There are two ways to kill a coil. The first is a gradual, natural death that occurs as juice residue builds up on the coil and in the wick. Eventually you get too much residue and the coil doesn't work right.

What might be happening in your case is the other option - burnt wick, which kills the coil instantly. If your wick gets too dry or the coil is too hot, the hot coil can burn the wick itself. The burnt wick can no longer absorb juice well, and in any case everything that goes through the burnt wick will pick up the taste. If you're really unlucky, juice can leach back into the tank and spoil the whole tank full of juice.

Also, even when I don't go ham on it, they sometimes die unnaturally quick. I base this off a burnt taste, but is there a chance I'm imagining it? Is there a better diagnostic test to see if a coil is dead other than just taste?

It really does come down to taste.

Is there any relationship between the juice you're using and the rate of demise of your coils? Some juices are just harder on coils than others. High VG juices were mentioned above, but darker or sweeter juices also tend to reduce coil life by leaving more residue.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    've noticed a few ex-smokers/new MTL or pod type vapers do this and it ultimately means your coils aren't getting cooled down quickly.

And those of us who started vaping in the dark ages--with 180 mAh cigalikes and 3Ω cartos. :lol:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    High vg and sweetened juice will reduce coil life too.

I agree with everything you said in your post except this. Pure VG (or VG/PG blend with no flavorings) will not reduce coil life--it will extend it, if anything. I often vape unflavored and my coils last and last. As a matter of fact, I used PG (alone or with VG) to clean my dirty coils. Vaping a tankful or two of unflavored can dissolve a lot/some of coil gunk--think wet burn. :D

Flavorings, sweeteners, colorings (and NETs), on the other hand, are notorious coil killers.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I base this off a burnt taste, but is there a chance I'm imagining it?

When you detect a burnt taste, your coil is most likely toast. Burnt wick. Once the wicking material is burnt, there's no going back since you can't rewick a drop-in coil. Reduce your wattage and get a new coil.
    I've also noticed that it happens much more strongly after a thorough cleaning.

Please describe how you clean your coils. They are really not meant to be cleaned. You can rinse your coil under running hot water and let it air dry, but it won't dissolve the coil crud mentioned above. Or try vaping unflavored for a while--see my post above.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    I agree with everything you said in your post except this. Pure VG (or VG/PG blend with no flavorings) will not reduce coil life--it will extend it, if anything. I often vape unflavored and my coils last and last. As a matter of fact, I used PG (alone or with VG) to clean my dirty coils. Vaping a tankful or two of unflavored can dissolve a lot/some of coil gunk--think wet burn. :D

I mentioned high VG as well, but I can see that I wasn't very clear about what I was thinking. I agree that VG wouldn't add to the residue problem - especially not pure VG - but I was wondering if there was an issue with wicking.

@BrianW25, one possibility is that your coil is drying out and burning when the wick can't bring juice in fast enough. In that case, a juice with a little less VG might work better. VG's very thick, so it flows really slowly.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    mentioned high VG as well, but I can see that I wasn't very clear about what I was thinking. I agree that VG wouldn't add to the residue problem - especially not pure VG - but I was wondering if there was an issue with wicking.

Yes, if VG is not diluted properly to correct viscosity, it won't wick well. VG is always diluted with ~10% or more distilled water or mixed with PG.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom

Flavorings, sweeteners, colorings (and NETs), on the other hand, are notorious coil killers.
    Thank you @Katya. My comment about High VG wasnt very clear. I meant High VG with Flavour. I dont vape flavourless liquid. I normally vape 50/50. Interesting to know that vaping flavourless greatly increases coil life.

• Agree
    Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    @Katya, that's if it's Aqueous VG. And sometimes that isn't disclosed.

Ha! Aqueous Glycerine! Chiefly British. ;)

Indeed that is the correct term for glycerol diluted with distilled water. That brings back sweet memories of Decadent Vapours, @Nick O'Teen, and Totally Wicked. I used to buy their Platinum Ice nic, Aqueous Glycerine, PG and my favorite flavorings--Ylang-Ylang, Lotus Flower and Black Currant. :wub:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Thank you @Katya. My comment about High VG wasnt very clear. I meant High VG with Flavour.

Sorry, I misunderstood or misread your post.
    I meant High VG with Flavour. I dont vape flavourless liquid. I normally vape 50/50. Interesting to know that vaping flavourless greatly increases coil life.

By weeks and months--at least at lowish wattages I vape.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Sorry, I misunderstood or misread your post.

By weeks and months--at least at lowish wattages I vape.
    No it was my fault, my comment wasnt very clear, it was misleading.
    I was coming from my experience of vaping shop bought juice at 80 vg against my mixing at 50vg. Thinking about it that's probably due to all the sweetners in the juice causing the coil to gunk up quicker.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Ha! Aqueous Glycerine! Chiefly British. ;)

Indeed that is the correct term for glycerol diluted with distilled water. That brings back sweet memories of Decadent Vapours, @Nick O'Teen, and Totally Wicked. I used to buy their Platinum Ice nic, Aqueous Glycerine, PG and my favorite flavorings--Ylang-Ylang, Lotus Flower and Black Currant. :wub:
    Do you folk not have AVG?

Reactions: Katya
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread