The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

A note of caution when flying with a RM2......

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by bones1274, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bones1274

bones1274 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2010
    florida
    I fly for a living and recently converted to a RM2 on my Grand. For the 2 1/2 years prior to the RM2, I used cartos on my Grand and top filled them. I never used the bottle or sqonked, and never ran into this issue when flying.

Now that I fill the internal bottle and squonk, I have noticed that as I climb to altitude, the pressure change causes the air in the bottle to expand and push the juice up and out of the RM2 air hole like a leaky fountain. Even though it is a pressurized cabin, at 35,000 feet, you still have a cabin altitude of 7,000-8,000 feet, making the air inside the bottle much denser than the surrounding air. (think of a bag of chips that baloons up as you climb.) Between the two accents today alone, I ended up loosing almost 1/4 of my juice out the air hole of the RM2 and into my pocket. Additionally, the RM2 was completely flooded and full of juice with no way to get it back into the bottle.

Has anyone else experienced this or noticed this?

2. Izan

Izan Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    :toast:
    Needed and Noted!

I

3. supertrunker

supertrunker Living sarcasm Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2012
    Texas
  4. bones1274

Oct 28, 2010
    florida
    Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, half a bottle isn't going to hold me for a 10+ hour flight. Guess I will have to start carrying a bottle of juice with me to resupply as needed.

5. supertrunker

supertrunker Living sarcasm Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2012
    Texas
    buy higher nic juice for plane flights = fewer puffs ;)

T

6. Filthy-Beast

Filthy-Beast Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Yes, I switch to an empty bottle before boarding and drip while on board. I've also read that loosening the bottle works but you'd have to make sure it stays upright.

7. ltrainer

ltrainer Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2010
    upstate ny
    Could you board the plane with no bottle in the grand then when you reach cruising altitude screw your bottle on.

8. MamaTried

MamaTried Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2013
    Northern California
    i'm so completely blown away that someone used a Reo for over two years without squonking that

ETA: ... apparently i cannot complete a sentence.

9. Justice

Justice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

just loosen the bottle off a little so it can breathe and you won't have any issues

10. bushmaster

bushmaster Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Colville, WA
    Yes, this happened to me with my Woodvil--filled my pocket with juice. What a mess.
    Thus, when another REOnaut eventually came aboard with a question about flying with a REO, I repeated my tale and suggested that the REO bottle be half-full to prevent the flooding episode.
    Well...one of the REO gurus here stated that I was mistaken and that since it is the air that expands and pressurizes the bottle at altitude, a partially -filled bottle will be more likely to auto-feed than a full bottle.
    It makes sense. I have not had the chance to test this theory. I'm just saying.

11. clone1008

clone1008 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Florida
    EXACTLY what Justice ^^^ said. I fly for a living also...just unscrew your juice cap a little but make sure you keep your reo upright. Problem solved.

12. bones1274

Oct 28, 2010
    florida
    I just never liked bottom feeding a carto. Top filling gave it a more consistent fill that I could control. Squonking just plugged the air holes and made it gurgle.

I don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to drip while flying so I may just cap the bottle until I get to altitude and then put it on. Or maybe just use cartos when I fly. Thanks for all the input!

13. thinkingaboutit

thinkingaboutit Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2012
    mn
    Only time mine has leaked, it wasn't upright. I either put it in the seat pocket standing up, or adjust it after I sit down so the drip tip points up. I have done this from full to almost empty.

14. Filthy-Beast

Filthy-Beast Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2011
    Chicago
    Yes you could but would also have to take it off or loosen it for landing. Pressure increases as you decend. Drink a water bottle on board seal it and then land, the bottle will be partially crushed since outside air pressure is higher on the ground than in the air.

Yes, physics would support this, but I have not been brave enough to try it. Any micro bubble in the juice would expand and not sure how much of an affect this would have. Kind like why divers cannot fly right after diving, the micro bubbles in their blood would expand as they ascended.

15. NicoHolic

NicoHolic Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jul 13, 2013
    USA
    This is also a problem with clearomizers, carto tanks, or rebuildable tank atomizers--any tank/bottle where the air pressure in the tank can't equalize with that outside without expanding. On a REO, loosening the bottle cap should allow that. On other tanks/RBAs with top fill holes, unplugging/opening the fill port can do it. As with those, you'll then need to keep the REO upright until you get to altitude.

16. narcolepticltd

narcolepticltd Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2013
    atlanta, GA, USA
  17. bones1274

Oct 28, 2010
    florida
    Yup yup..... I have to go into a pressure chamber every few years as part of my qualifications and they take us up to 25,000 feet to let us experience the symptoms of hypoxia. With 12 people in there it smells quite bad by the time we get out......:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.