A public health department educator lied to my child today about vapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
Today in health class my middle-school aged child was told by a public health department educator that vapes cause cancer and I should just use Chantix. Needless to say, I'm livid. I'm planning on penning an email to her health teacher and the principal and can use all the ammo I can find. Initially I was going to schedule a meeting, but an email provides the benefit of a paper trail and the ability to provide direct links to studies and clear, unbiased research.

I make every effort to stay up-to-date on current research (even the bogus, biased studies) but don't recall ever seeing a cancer link. Did I miss something, or is this lady flat out lying to these kids?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
AFAIK there are no links of vapor products to causing cancer. In fact there aren't a whole lot of studies about anything CAUSING cancer. It's almost always correlation data, and there have not been any longitudinal studies of cancer risks with vapor products.

More likely than not it's someone parroting info from the FDA and CDC and other public health groups that is written specifically to be misinterpreted into believing that vaping equals smoking.

casaa.org
ecigarette-research.com
E-cigarettes around 95% less harmful than tobacco estimates landmark review - Press releases - GOV.UK
and you should find plenty of links from those places to others.

Reactions: curiousJan

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
Definitely contact the teacher and principal for starters. But the odds are that on an individual basis these Reichsmarshalls have no more respect for a parent than they do the herds of children subjected to their domination daily.
If no satisfaction from them move on the school board. These people are more politically motivated and MAY actually put some thought into the subject. At least to the extent that their response might affect them.
Letter to the editor of local paper? County board of health?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I'm planning on penning an email to her health teacher and the principal and can use all the ammo I can find. ...

Sending an e-Mail is a Very Good Idea.

But if you want to have a Maximum Impact, cc your e-Mail to the Illinois State Board of Education.

Many Times concerns and or Complaints will go No Further than the Principle of a K-12 School. So if the Principle is OK with whatever Transgressed, you will get some Political Speak correspondence about,

"Thank you for bring this to our attention... Bla Bla Bla ... we will look into the matter ... Bla Bla Bla ... education is the our highest priority ... Bla Bla Bla ... please contact us if you have any other concerns ... Bla Bla Bla ... Sincerely ... Bla Bla Bla."

By including a cc of you e-Mail to the Teacher/Principle, it puts them on notice that their Overseers are now aware of your Concerns.

And you will usually receive a Much Different Reply.

---

BTW - Here is an Interesting Read...

UK regulators license BAT e-cigarette as quit-smoking medicine

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
You might also want to look up Moffitt Cancer Center's 4 year long 3.1 million $ study on e-cigs potential use as a smoking cessation aid. They are a highly respected, well-known Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. Could copy & paste some info on it into your email...or at least put a link in the email to it.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Or download these and attach them to your e-mail and explain to them that reading and knowledge are a core value in our education system.

Attachments

• Study finds nicotine safeV2.pdf
    245.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Ecigarettes safer a firm foundation for evidence based policy and practice.pdf
    485.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Respiratory harm reversal seen in asthmatic smokers on e-cigarettes.pdf
    257 KB · Views: 19
  • Study Confirms That E-Cigarettes Generate Virtually No Toxins.pdf
    219 KB · Views: 19

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Perhaps the source of this lie which of course has been rebuked numerous times:

"Without FDA regulation and review, we simply don't know what is in e-cigarettes. However, in initial lab tests conducted in 2009, the FDA found detectable levels of toxic cancer-causing chemicals—including an ingredient used in antifreeze—in two leading brands of e-cigarettes and 18 various cartridges. A review of studies found that levels of toxins in e-cigarette aerosol varied considerably within and between brands. A 2014 study found that aerosol from e-cigarettes with a higher voltage level contains more formaldehyde, another carcinogen with the potential to cause cancer. The findings are alarming, and the American Lung Association urgently calls for FDA oversight of these products."

Source from the ALA

/sigh

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Choose your sources carefully though when you refute this misinformation. For someone who is not likely to do further reading, contradicting the FDA, CDC, ALA, etc. with a blog article from Dr. Never Heardofme won't get you very far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread