A question about ohms/volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianman6954

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
United States
Impendance isn't a term associated with DC circuits... There is no phase angle with direct current. Therefore, your impedance will always be zero.

Get things right if you're wanting to try to blow the minds of new comers or non-tech savvy people.

I realized that after the fact, I work with a lot of high frequency AC so the wrong term was in my head at the time. As a side note it was never my goal to blow anyones mind, I would have just been ecstatic if I had some of this info when I was in my quest for the perfect vape, pre-built coils are almost more of a pain than building them yourself because what you buy is what you get and there are no solid rules of thumb here that apply to every coil type.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I realized that after the fact, I work with a lot of high frequency AC so the wrong term was in my head at the time. As a side note it was never my goal to blow anyones mind, I would have just been ecstatic if I had some of this info when I was in my quest for the perfect vape, pre-built coils are almost more of a pain than building them yourself because what you buy is what you get and there are no solid rules of thumb here that apply to every coil type.

Yeah, sorry, I've been in a bad mood. Baby is either smiling ecstatically or screaming...lol. My response was wrong anyways in my rushed thinking. Regardless that I didn't think all the way through, I work with distribution systems for a living, so I should not have been so stupid with my response. Thanks for responding with a quote..that reminds me to edit and say I was an idiot for saying impendance=0.. for some reason, my logic from last night transitioned into todays small argument with gunarm..sorry, again..lol:)

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Since you're not using a variable battery, your power output is going to only consist of the factors of your battery's charge and resistance. When I first started, egos started at 4.2 Volts and declined to 3.3 Volts, before needing to be charged at 3.2 Volts. I don't know if that is still the case. A 1.8 Ohm resistor will give you 9.8 Watts at full charge and drop down to 6.05 Watts before it needs to be charged. A 2.4 Ohm resistor will give you 7.35 Watts at full power and drop down to 4.54 Watts before needing to be charged. I like to vape around 9 Watts.. I pretty much stay there.. That is slightly warmer than most, but it is what I like.

Use the chart referenced on the first page for easy reference to the range of power you'll have with a non-variable battery with different resistances.

I guess someone confirm that ego's still start at 4.2 Volts and work their way down till they're dead at 3.2 Volts.

undeadninja125

Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
Illinois
I think the best explanation is that it won't make enough difference to matter.

I use 2.4 ohm vivi novas on my provari because they work and are good for all of my other pv's.
I should add that this is with vv devices.

Or we can debate this forever.

I hate Vivi Nova tanks. They are so stiff, and they don't work well with my fruity juices.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4

undeadninja125

Verified Member
Nov 20, 2013
Illinois
Since you're not using a variable battery, your power output is going to only consist of the factors of your battery's charge and resistance. When I first started, egos started at 4.2 Volts and declined to 3.3 Volts, before needing to be charged at 3.2 Volts. I don't know if that is still the case. A 1.8 Ohm resistor will give you 9.8 Watts at full charge and drop down to 6.05 Watts before it needs to be charged. A 2.4 Ohm resistor will give you 7.35 Watts at full power and drop down to 4.54 Watts before needing to be charged. I like to vape around 9 Watts.. I pretty much stay there.. That is slightly warmer than most, but it is what I like.

Use the chart referenced on the first page for easy reference to the range of power you'll have with a non-variable battery with different resistances.

I guess someone confirm that ego's still start at 4.2 Volts and work their way down till they're dead at 3.2 Volts.

So with ego batteries, lower resistance coils would probably be better.

Not that it matters, because in 2 days, I'm getting an MVP 2 :)

Sent from my Galaxy S 4

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
So with ego batteries, lower resistance coils would probably be better.

Not that it matters, because in 2 days, I'm getting an MVP 2 :)

Sent from my Galaxy S 4
If you want a warmer vape and more vapor production, then yes. If you want a cooler vape, go for higher resistance.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
suspectK:11377762 said:
pianman6954:11377719 said:
Yes that is the wattage, best to note when talking coils this is only a general guideline. Thicker gauge kanthal/nichrome will be lower resistance for the same wraps but needs more power to become hot as well due to the larger suface area and metal content. It all comes down to preference as already mentioned, I for one need low impedance coils with pre-built tanks and clearos.

Impendance isn't a term associated with DC circuits... There is no phase angle with direct current. Therefore, your impedance will always be zero.

Get things right if you're wanting to try to blow the minds of new comers or non-tech savvy people.

Edit-yeah, being a :censored:...edit again-sleep deprived and let later person talk me into thinking I was incorrect.. when only partially...:)

Edit-I didn't mean to dig this up by editing. Oops..total douche right here.lol

Last edited:

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV

I'm not sure what you mean here.
Actually the first Egos were regulated batteries. They put out two different pulses one at a higher and another at a lower voltage. The output of two voltages averaged out a around 3.3 volts. A long and steady vape was one of their selling points. There were some unregulated clones like the Rivas. The Rivas were also cloned and some were regulated and some weren't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread