Status
Not open for further replies.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I thought this was right down your ally. The minute I saw the question I had one thought: BK

amplitude is the power/strength of a signal, the height of the peaks and valleys of waves in the ocean for example. Frequency is the number of times the amplitude peaks in a moment of time. the substance which the power is being put thru is either conductive or insulative. A conductor is used to allow the power ( lets use volts/electricity) to travel thru it ( a wire) metals are better conductors since they usually have the outer electron shell incomplete ( not filled to the 8) and will easily pickup and release extra electrons pushed into its electron orbit area by voltage applied. An insulator has a full or nearly full electron orbit shell and is resistive to picking up or releasing electrons thus inhibiting voltage flow. So, an insulator is a really good resistor. A resistor is a material that is an insulator mixed with a conductor, for example clay and carbon powder. Or a resistor is a conductor designed to minimize the flow of electrons via mechanics, for example a thin wire is a good resistor.

okaayyy to tackle the above, to create Thermonic emmisions one needs heat, enuf heat to excite the material being heated to vibrate fast enuf at the molecule level along with a voltage gradient high enuf to shake electrons free from the orbit. The higher the voltage ( amplitude) increases the potential to shake loose some electrons, the frequency needs to be fast enuf ( the waves close together) to not allow the electrons to settle down ( think of shooting a gun, you pull the trigger and bang the gun jumps and you move a little) a low amplitude low frequency source would be like shooting a 22 once a second. A hi amplitude hi frequency source would be like shooting a full automatic 50 caliber machine gun which fires at 10 times a second ( for example) for as long as the gun is fed ammo( its strong enuf to move you backwards and push you down). Once you have the electron loose and its being kept loose, it finds its way to the positive ( anode) pole. If there are any contaminates in the container, the electron will want to attach its self to it and then off both the contaminate and electron go towards the anode, thus darkening it. A hi voltage and high frequency has a better chance of creating thermonic emissions. As I mentioned before, noble gasses are decent insulators... up to a point, once that point is reached, the gas no longer is insulative but now conductive in a plasma state ( this is why neon glows). To get to that point the voltage needs to be strong enuf not only to shake loose an electron and let it carry over to another molecule, but to keep it suspended for enuf time to gain enuf power to release it when the electron does fall back into place. When it falls back into place, the energy it was holding onto is released as a photon... thus the glowing neon.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
lack of contaminates, tungsten instead of carbon, better vacuum, and several other minor improvements I dont remember at the moment ...
I'm moderately satisfied with your answer, thanks by the way. If you do happen to remember anything more specific I would be super interested in hearing it.

Below is the video that lead to ask this question. After which I fell down the wikipedia rabbit hole after seeing him use a small light build as his electron source. Also how beta radiation created with cathode ray tubes is used for sterilization as well as many other commercial applications.
If you re a science junkie, I highly recommend checking out this guys channel content.

and this

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
LOL A "moderately satisfied" from @sonicbomb is like that professor who expects you to invent a better electricity (yeah, I don't even know if that is a thing.) I had that form a dude in my mater's degree program but I got on his bad side on DAY one when (he was really interested in hypnotism) and decided to "hypnotize" 4 brawny dude SW students (we had a dual law program is why) and they picked up a leg of a table this person was sitting on.

I am afraid I said, "Calculating the effective weigh of the guy on the table I am going to guess that is not hypnotism that is common sense lifting. SNAP OUT OF IT GUYS? YOU out? Can you pick that guy up and putt him down not under the spoooookkky effect of hypnotism?"

They so could. I view hypnotism as magic tricks like you CONVINCE people you have powers and stuff.

The guy tried hypnotizing me a few times. I volunteered. Alas,. every time I would just says stuff like

Ah no I will not take of my shoes and socks or any clothing. what is this some kind of really dreadful thing you are trying to get me to do? Forget it."

I got a B. I was lucky not to get an F.

So congratulations @Bunnykiller .

See like I don't fit in the "soft silences exactly (OMG like inkblots and hypnotism) but hard science is..... hard.

We also have a new term in our field. Instead of "research based, it is "evidence based."

I am not yet 100% sure I known what difference is yet but I don't like it exactly. I think it's like "we tried it on a bunch of people and their exit surveys showed improvement" but conditions are not controlled. IDK

Sorry to digress again but I think the hard and soft sciences have a lot to learn from each other.; IDK.

Anna

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
See like I don't fit in the "soft silences exactly (OMG like inkblots and hypnotism) but hard science is..... hard.

We also have a new term in our field. Instead of "research based, it is "evidence based."

I am not yet 100% sure I known what difference is yet but I don't like it exactly. I think it's like "we tried it on a bunch of people and their exit surveys showed improvement" but conditions are not controlled. IDK

I really like this statement. In my field, we now use the term 'evidence based', I have wondered just what are the rules of evidence. When I have asked, there is no meaningful answer.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would like an essay on, is it possible. nay even evidence based, to remediate the educational system in this country or have we gone full frontal Teacher's Union?

I mean last I heard in Pima County AZ, (when you've lived in hell for a while, you like to sort of keep track of where it's at, so you can flee) last I heard about STUDENTS going back to school was NOT about the students (even they are running out of drugs and need to replenish, ah, socialize with one another in the fine learning establishment of Pima Co schools) and the parents were like, "OH HELL yes, send them back we can't take this any more."

IT was THE TEACHERS. They were floridly enjoying their 2 hours of "online teaching" daily and letting parents do the rest (the parents probably did a better job) and they INDICATED THEY were "Frightened" of "catching it from the students" (Even with full on PPE) and they felt it "exposed them to danger."

They said THEY WOULD GO IF ALL CLASSROOMS HAD SEPERATE entrances, into PLEXIGLAS ROOMS with SEPERATE VENTILATION SYSTEMS from the rest of the school. I think they were all supposed to fit together like rabbit warrens.

LAST I HEARD the UNION WON!! It was like, not sane and the reporting I heard was all acting like this was a TOTALLY NORMAL ACT!!

So with a strategically placed smart bomb in every classroom, strategically set to go off, how many teachers and students would have to die of this tragic illness?

Is it possible to remediate this and if so, how?

One time in a classroom I sat in on it and it was an English class and like the teacher was so ill equipped to do his job he like, did not get through sentence number ONE (in need of repair.)

He was so tragically ill equipped, I stayed after, and gave him a crash course in positive, negative, intermittent reinforcement and extinguishing behaviors, I even gave him a bunch of my STICKERS out of pity.

My stickers go to no one (unless they have earned them) which this teacher most emphatically HAD NOT. I did not go back to check on him, it was too depressing. He probably had stickers all over the rear of his slacks.

So I am asking about the principles of pedagogy and why they cannot be purified, and if so how BIG a smart bomb is going to be an effective deterrent???

Anna

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I have not spoken with the husband further so now I would like to present my own answer: magic.

LOL my son got all obsessed with Tesla for a while there (the dead guy) and he built a small Tesla machine/oscillator for 7th grade Science class project. It worked, no one died. Man. So like, well, I wish he had that initiative today he is currently laid off and playing video games, pretty much.

I'm not saying a return to building Tesla machines is the way to go, but gee SOMETHING.

Pardon the digression.
Anna

I built a tesla coil too it was 10 foot tall put out 12 foot long "lightning bolts" which rated for over 1.2 million volts... and now I sit around playing games on the computer and dont work. Either its that people who build tesla coils turn out to not work and play games all day or in my case, get cancer, cant work, get bored and play games to keep my sanity... ;) ohhh maybe running tesla coils cause cancer and fries your brain and makes you want to play games all day... :)

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
I'm moderately satisfied with your answer, thanks by the way. If you do happen to remember anything more specific I would be super interested in hearing it.

Below is the video that lead to ask this question. After which I fell down the wikipedia rabbit hole after seeing him use a small light build as his electron source. Also how beta radiation created with cathode ray tubes is used for sterilization as well as many other commercial applications.
If you re a science junkie, I highly recommend checking out this guys channel content.

and this

wellhell if youre looking for free electron flow thru air, any high voltage arc will accomplish that ( spark plug coil, tesla coil, hi volt transformer arc etc) thru pure brute strength. He did it in a more mannerly method with tighter controls and lower voltages. Microwave ovens work off of the emmission of electrons from a low volt coil ( 2-6 volts) in a vacuum along with a magnet and specifically placed chambers to cause a resonation to occur. The coil releases electrons, the magnet gets the electons to start spinning "in a vortex" like water going down a drain and as they pass by the openings of the chambers, the electrons start to resonate at that wonderful Hz that excites water molecules to vibrate/rotate/spin.

also, another item that uses a coil to get electrons flowing, gas lasers ( argon, krypton etc).

Reactions: CMD-Ky

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
One for the science minded geeks that I know patrol these shores.

Why doesn't the thermionic effect short circuit a domestic light bulb?

Electrons produced by the filament should be drawn directly to its positive terminal. Why doesn't this current flow draw power away from the anode or short circuit the filament completely?

The thermionic effect was rediscovered by Edision in 1880 while investigating filament breakage and anode darkening in his incandescent bulbs. He promptly patented it.
Thermionic emission - Wikipedia

A modern tungsten filament is definitely boiling off electrons as it's work function is well below the 2500 centigrade that modern filaments run at. Modern light bulbs do not seem to suffer from this effect, but Edison's did.

Is it that the anode/cathode potential is too low in a modern light bulb compared to Edision's to produce the a sufficient current flow to significant? I've tried googling the hell out of this, and despite increasing my knowledge of the associated technology I can't find an answer.

another duh moment and a bit of clarity occured when I read the original question... the main reason it doesnt do what you think it should do.... AC current, now if it was a DC current build then you would see the darkening of the + ( anode) occur, and plus the lack of material in the expected path is at a minimum too, not much there to build up and not enuf to allow for an arc to occur...

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
another duh moment and a bit of clarity occured when I read the original question... the main reason it doesnt do what you think it should do.... AC current, now if it was a DC current build then you would see the darkening of the + ( anode) occur, and plus the lack of material in the expected path is at a minimum too, not much there to build up and not enuf to allow for an arc to occur...
Thank you sir, my mind can now rest.

Reactions: stols001

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Microwave ovens
Now there is a device with some interesting science and history.
Powered by as you described the cavity magnetron. Arguably a key WWII winning tech for small centimeter band radar in planes submarines etc. Also made proximity fuses possible making anti-aircraft fire highly effective.
The perforated plate in the window at the front is a Faraday cage, helpful in preventing curious eyes from getting cooked.
Microwave ovens are also an excellent source of high voltage power supplies for 'experimentation'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread