Status
Not open for further replies.

Some Guy

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Ct. USA
Made from this dirt cheap "pill shaped keychain"

DealExtreme: $2.61 Aluminium Alloy Pill Shaped Keychain

Uses one protected 18500 3.7v 1600 mAh batt.
No wires or solder. Basicly two springs and a plunger/button with atty connector.

Pic posting attempt. The pill thing before and after and a 510 in there for scale.
some-guy-albums-test-picture2714-090913-203344.jpg

Somewhat exploded view of parts (next pic). I apologise for crappy cellphone pics.
Bottom row from left to right.
1: Battery (atty) connector with bottom shell part cut off so as to make contact with the positive button on the batt.
2: Positive end spring with a bit of foam around it to center it (could not find the right spring locally).
3: Negative end spring bent more conical to miss washer on next item.
4: On off button/plunger made from the cut off part where the keychain attaches to (don't waste anything!).Tapped with a #6-32 1/2" long bolt,washer and nut attached to stop it from falling out and adjustment.

some-guy-albums-test-picture2713-090913-204049.jpg

Next pic is a feeble attempt at a close up of the button and batt/atty connector.

some-guy-albums-test-picture2712-090913-204332.jpg

I did this with a cordless drill, a dremel and a tap ($4). So anyone can do it, it's almost free and it's shiny.:D
My first battery mod so cut me some slack.
More info if anyone cares.

Some Guy

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Ct. USA
Thank you Stormy.

Maybe Damulta's question was "how does the button feel?"?
I tried to keep the button pressure easy..I used the same spring at each end. The negative end spring is widend and the positve end spring is more compressed making the positive end a bit stronger.So it stays normally off.Only 1/8" travel in the button.

nubee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
IL, USA
The button is not really a button/switch in the rat shack sense. It is just a plunger that pushes the plus side of the battery up and onto the atty. That's the really cool part to me is that there is no solder needed.

"4: On off button/plunger made from the cut off part where the keychain attaches to (don't waste anything!).Tapped with a #6-32 1/2" long bolt,washer and nut attached to stop it from falling out and adjustment."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread