Status
Not open for further replies.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Does anyone have more info about joyetech using double-A batteries as a power source? I saw the post below on their FB page. Would be really interested to find out more about what they are calling the BATPACK.

aabat.JPG

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I know AA batteries were a common power source back in the day when mods were literally modded project battery boxes. They had two issues:

1: non rechargeable batteries get expensive quickly
2: such batteries only make 1.5v. The rechargeable only do 1.2v. This means to get the normal 3.7v you need a 3 battery mod and it will only produce the 3.7v for a little while.

The device here is a two battery AA mod, so it’s probably set up to run at 2.2v like an old fashioned cigalike. Which means you will get performance on par with an original blue in a fairly large mod that is expensive to run

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I know AA batteries were a common power source back in the day when mods were literally modded project battery boxes. They had two issues:

1: non rechargeable batteries get expensive quickly
2: such batteries only make 1.5v. The rechargeable only do 1.2v. This means to get the normal 3.7v you need a 3 battery mod and it will only produce the 3.7v for a little while.

The device here is a two battery AA mod, so it’s probably set up to run at 2.2v like an old fashioned cigalike. Which means you will get performance on par with an original blue in a fairly large mod that is expensive to run
My very first self made box mod used three AA NiMh cells, it worked reasonably well with moderate builds @ about 1.8 ohms... it used a hacked 4 cell sled cut down to three cell capacity, it was rebuilt with an 18650 sled hacked down to a 18490 size and still works, almost five years since being built.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I use NiMH AA and AAA cells in guitar wireless belt packs and they perform well for a few hours at moderate drain. It's enough to get me through a rehearsal and a gig. I wouldn't want them in an ecig mod unless it was a short term solution during a power outage.

That said, there's a huge market for safer chemistry high drain alternatives that don't cause public transportation fires.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
But I know that UL has/had been working on a Standard for Battery Integrated e-Cigarettes. Looks like UL has Finalized a Certificate them...

UL Announces Certification for Electronic Cigarettes | UL
This is interesting, although I wonder what batteries fall into the "battery integrated e-cigarettes". Just cigalike/ego/internal LiPo batteries, or would this include the 18650 and up batteries, too? Maybe this could help weed out the exaggerated claims of all those battery re-wrapper companies we have to deal with.

Reactions: Plantsmantx

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This is interesting, although I wonder what batteries fall into the "battery integrated e-cigarettes". Just cigalike/ego/internal LiPo batteries, or would this include the 18650 and up batteries, too? Maybe this could help weed out the exaggerated claims of all those battery re-wrapper companies we have to deal with.

Yeah... But it can Also be a Double Edged Sword.

Because if the Federal Consumer Protection Agency and or the FDA adopts a similar standard, then that is just One More Hurtle for an e-Cigarette to exist in a Regulated Market.

• Agree
Reactions: puffon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread