About those tanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicgnostic_777

Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
San Francisco
So I actually bought a DCT but I wanted to know what I do when the juice is gone? Do I clean it out if I want to change the flavor? Do I have to change the cartomizer inside often? Sort of confused and also is the only thing special about them that they hold a lot of liquid and if so what's so wrong with cleromizers which do the same thing? Lots of questions but any insight would be helpful btw I'm new at this stuff so keep it kind of simple for me :)

jxc0175

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Cartomizers last 1-3 weeks on average. This average will change depending on how heavy you vape and the juice you use. Thicker juices shorten the carto's life. You'll know the carto is shot because the flavor will become muted or it will get difficult to get a good pull. If changing juices you're gonna want to change cartos and rinse the tank out pretty good.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Hi - there is a lot of trial and error with vaping, as I imagine you've already experienced. I started using carto tanks because my favorite juice melted clearos. I have all different types of devices, but use carto tanks more than anything. For me, they have the best taste (after dripping) and perform consistently.

KerryK

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2012
Madtown, WI
Cartomizers last 1-3 weeks on average. This average will change depending on how heavy you vape and the juice you use. Thicker juices shorten the carto's life. You'll know the carto is shot because the flavor will become muted or it will get difficult to get a good pull. If changing juices you're gonna want to change cartos and rinse the tank out pretty good.

Jxc0175 do you ever soak your cardo's? Or use alcohol like vodka, I even read someone uses ever-clear...

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Jxc0175 do you ever soak your cardo's? Or use alcohol like vodka, I even read someone uses ever-clear...

That would be atomizers. Cartomizers have batting inside and cleaning them isn't that simple. For the most part, when they're in a tank you use them until they are spent, and then throw them away.

nicgnostic_777

Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
San Francisco
I was just wondering because the juice that I filled my tank with I'm not really enjoying and wanted to know if I switched cartomizers but kept the same tank could I clean the tank part to get the taste or smell out and I saw that there is like an eraser e juice that I could use in the carto but I don't know if its worth it...basically

GraceH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
A, A
There are some youtube videos on how to clean tanks. What i do if im changing flavors is i'll use a stronger flavor in the used carto or a strong mint flavor instead of cleaning or tossing a good carto. But thats just me. I like to mix the flavors I have and try and use a flavor I otherwise don't like.
I do plan on trying to clean them instead. I just haven't tried it yet.

Tankman77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Sac, Ca.
So I actually bought a DCT but I wanted to know what I do when the juice is gone? Do I clean it out if I want to change the flavor? Do I have to change the cartomizer inside often? Sort of confused and also is the only thing special about them that they hold a lot of liquid and if so what's so wrong with cleromizers which do the same thing? Lots of questions but any insight would be helpful btw I'm new at this stuff so keep it kind of simple for me :)

Welcome to the Vaping Club nicgnostic!!!
Carto tanks are great, as they do hold more juice and many of us feel that they have a better flavor and vapor production than clearos.
There definately isn't anything wrong with using clearos (as I still use them daily on my stick batteries), but mostly use carto tanks on my large PVs.
I get more consistant performance from carto tanks, refill them less often and have almost zero leaking issues. They are essentially hassle free, once you get them set up and running. Longevity of cartos varies....it often times is luck of the draw. I have had dead cartos fresh out of the package, cartos that last a few days and other cartos that have lasted for weeks, even over a month.
When changing flavors, if the new juice has a similar flavor profile, I will pull the carto, take the tank appart, quick rinse all the tank parts under HOT water and dry them. I will reuse the same carto usually. Just drip a few drops of the new juice in the carto and reassemble the unit.
If the new flavor is entirely different I will change out the old carto for a new one. No need to throw out that old carto though!!!
To clean my used cartos I just run them under HOT water for a few seconds and blow them out. (ALWAYS blow your cartos and attys out in the direction of air flow--from the base (screw end) out through the drip tip end (open end). Ill rinse for a few seconds and then blow it out....repeat 5 or 6 times. Then turn the carto over (open end down, screw side up) and let dry for a day.
It really is that easy. Good Luck and
Happy Vaping

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
I just pull out the carto and wash the tank out. Then I put the rubbers back on that carto and mark it some how so I can use it again when I go back to that liquid. A new carto for each flavor is the easiest way to go in my opinion. Lots of us run multiple tanks so we can just screw on the one we want at the time. I have 2 flavors that I use every day so I just carry both tanks with me. Hope this helps.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
I was just wondering because the juice that I filled my tank with I'm not really enjoying and wanted to know if I switched cartomizers but kept the same tank could I clean the tank part to get the taste or smell out and I saw that there is like an eraser e juice that I could use in the carto but I don't know if its worth it...basically

I highly recommend not using a flavor eraser with a carto. It's designed more for an atty - something small that can be easily cleaned out. If you don't get it all out it really tastes nasty.

I use a syringe to get out as much juice from the tank as I can and put it back in the bottle. I then remove the carto and put it in a little zip lock to use when I want that flavor again.

I have tried with some success to clean cardos, but in the end I have ended up buying them in bulk and tossing them. One thing I would recommend is, get a drip atty so you can taste the flavors before you soak a cardo. The tanks can usually just be cleaned by regular methods. I have Smoktech ultimate dual coil tanks, and I just use a little dawn soap and water to wash them out, and rinse them really well. This may not be the most recommended way to clean them, but it works well for me. (Don't use soap on cardos or attys) I also find that similar flavors can be swapped ok. Like chocolates, nuts, caramel. You get a "mixed" flavor for a while, but as long as they are not bad combos it works fine. For example I swapped from a vanilla to a caramel by just filling up the tank a 2nd time with caramel instead of Vanilla.

And yes, you can just refill the tank until the cardo starts loosing it's umph, at which point you will have to clean/replace the cardo. I get a couple weeks out of mine, probably could get another week or two, but I don't mind spending the money for it to be less "fiddly"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread