About to embark on my first box mod, I have a couple of questions first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawking

Dec 20, 2013
IL
So like the title says, I'm about to journey into the world of modding. My plans for my first mod consist of a parallel 18650 with two batteries. I generally vape between .15 - .22 ohms in my mech mods and I know this type of current is nearly impossible without a big ugly switch. I'm going to be running a Mosfet and 14awg silicone wire from my local hobby shop, I've read that this wire can handle up to 60 amps. My plans are to follow this diagram exactly:

parallelboxmod.jpg

I've ordered the 1590b box, Keystone 18650 dual battery sled, IRLB3034PbF Mosfet, 2A switch, 2 fresh VTC5's, and a spring loaded 510 from FatDaddyVapes and according to my tracking numbers all of it should hopefully be here Friday. I went into my local Radioshack today to get a 15k 1/4 watt resistor (forgot about it when I was ordering from Mouser :facepalm:) only to find that they did not have any. I read somewhere before that 10k, 15k, and 22k 1/4 watt resistors will all work, so I grabbed a 5 pack of the 22k resistors. My question is what is the difference between running the 15k resistor in the diagrahm as opposed to the 22k resistor I picked up? (please don't just say 7k :p) Will this higher resistance effect its performance in anyway? Should I return the resistors I purchased and order a 15k offline somewhere or pick up the 10k?

Also, what are you guys and gals using to protect the solder joints when it forms a T? I saw a picture somewhere of the guts of another mod that had a black substance covering the joints. I assume it's some sort of rubberized liquid in which the modder painted on, but the thread was so old that I did not want to bump it back from the dead.

Also also, what type of solder does everyone prefer? I have some .05" Diameter 60/40 Rosin-core solder in my toolbox, would this be ok?

Thanks!

Hawking

Dec 20, 2013
IL
I can't answer your other questions but there is a product called Liquid Electrical Tape. There are other types of liquid plastic that would probably work. Look in the adhesives area where they have epoxy and silicone or in the car electrical section. You could use silicone too but it's nasty stuff.

Thanks! I'll look into it sometime this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread