Above ohm building?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
there are a few questions before any useful tips could be offered. what kind of mod you are building for, is it a mechanical or regulated? also are you building for a dripper or a tank? is this for mouth-to-lung vaping or direct-lung vaping?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
You can get a cooler vape on an unregulated device by using a higher resistance coil yes.

On a regulated device you can get a cooler vape with any coil if you just turn the power down.
Though you are better off using a higher resistance coil as this will be probably made of a thinner wire with a lower mass more appropriate to this lower power level.

Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I use sub 0hm coils,yet i still get a cool vape (mainly because i use stainless for building atm so i can try temp control) though most fruity flavors i've tried i always managed to get a cooler vape by changing the power settings a bit with the airflow settings and sometimes even how i drag on my dripper.

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
If you already build, and build sub ohm, going above one ohm requires all of the same safety precautions. Assuming you're using an unregulated mod, a higher ohm build is inherently safer than sub ohm builds because it draws less current and thus puts less stress on the battery.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If you already build, and build sub ohm, going above one ohm requires all of the same safety precautions. Assuming you're using an unregulated mod, a higher ohm build is inherently safer than sub ohm builds because it draws less current and thus puts less stress on the battery.
I agree with the above. I might add that a higher ohm coil also provides a wider margin of safety. 0.0 ohm represents a "hard short", so the further you stay away from that number the better. Note how the lower the resistance, the higher the amp draw, and the closer you get to that hard short area.

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.15 ohms = 28 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't know how high you are planning to go, but make sure your mod supports the resistance by checking the manufacturer's specs (some mods do limit the higher ohms you build, although they're usually "pretty high" for an above 1.0 ohm build.

You want to make sure that you're using a wire material that doesn't require a huge amount of wattage to heat it up, if you are going over 1.0, also, as otherwise that will sort of defeat the purpose of having a cool build. You might play around with steam-engine.org, including the "heat flux" part I believe it is, so you can build something tailored to what you want.

As long as your build is solid, well the basic safely principles remain the same, it's just that you will be using lower wattage than on a sub0hm build (if you are doing it right) but that's not really a safety concern, it just likely will result in far better battery life.

Any sort of "ballpark" area where you want to build to? And the tank? Because as far as draw, airflow and etc., having that right may increase the "success" of your build. If you can't get the airflow tight enough and the draw right, it can sometimes result in a less than ideal experience. Although, there are plenty of sub0hm capable RTAs or RBAs where you can probably get things pretty "close" to a MTL draw if that's what you are looking for. etc.

Best of luck, I hope any of the above was helpful.... :)

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I was reading about getting a cooler vape and I wanted to know the tips/saftey precautions on trying to build above 1.0 ohm anything would be much appreciated
In General higher ohm coils (1 ohm and above)/lower wattage (generally MTL) vaping will:
Heat the coil slower, which may produce “less” vapor
Provide A “cooler” tasting vape, can produce more flavor
May use less E-Juice (<$ less money)
Prolong battery life (<$)
Prolong coil life (<$)
Prolong wick life (<$)
Less likely spit back
May result in less PV maintenance/Issues
Less irritation to non vapers
Aids stealth vaping
Less exposure to carcinogens at high temps
As to safety:
Could read:
Might like to read some commentaries on sub-ohm vaping:
What Ohms should I choose?
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/how-is-sub-ohm-vaping-dangerous.462202/
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
https://spinfuel.com/sub-ohm-vaping/

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
But also a higher resistance coil that uses thinner wire can, imo, produce a warmer vape. See higher resistance can be obtained 2 ways, you can use the same thick wire you use using sub ohm , but just add more wraps, this at the same power levels will produce a higher resistance but will be a cooler vape because there's just more mass, but you also can get to high resistance by a thinner wire. With a thinner wire and a higher resistance at or near the same power levels, will produce a warmer vape because of the much lower mass of coil. But in general higher resistances means a cooler vape simply because of the wattages used in higher resistances are lower.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread