Status
Not open for further replies.

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
I was wondering what would have happened if Phillip Morris had announced they'd developed a new cigarette which delivered pure nicotine contained none of the dangerous chemicals in traditional cigarettes, completely eliminated second-hand smoke and even did away with the inherent fire danger because it was battery operated and was even loved by smokers?

Then I ran across this: (sorry, still can't post links, so I pasted a part of what I read)
Philip Morris developed Accord, a microelectric cigarette holder, to “address consumer concerns about health risks,” and as a direct competitive response to R.J. Reynolds’ “Premier” product. Unveiled in 1998, the battery-powered “smoking system,” which reduced visible smoke and ashes from the end of a cigarette, was a radically different kind of smoked tobacco product.
The device contained a microchip that sensed when an Accord cigarette was being puffed, and sent power to eight heating blades around the cigarette. The chip prevented ignition if conventional cigarettes were inserted into the lighter, and was also equipped with the equivalent of the television V-chip, a locking device for use by parents.
The device worked using a novel electronic sensor technology. Inhaling on a cigarette inserted in the device triggers the electrical heating element, which heats the cigarette to a temperature below that necessary to create combustion, but still delivers emissions which contain nicotine. The tobacco in the Accord cigarette is warmed only when puffed; smokers could take a puff from a cigarette in its holder, put the device down, and take another puff an hour later.

I had heard of RJR's Premier cigarette, but this one was new to me. I'm sure most of you already know about the Accord, but would someone please tell me how this is really any different than the ecig?

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
I was wondering what would have happened if Phillip Morris had announced they'd developed a new cigarette which delivered pure nicotine contained none of the dangerous chemicals in traditional cigarettes, completely eliminated second-hand smoke and even did away with the inherent fire danger because it was battery operated and was even loved by smokers?

I had heard of RJR's Premier cigarette, but this one was new to me. I'm sure most of you already know about the Accord, but would someone please tell me how this is really any different than the ecig?
It's not, and they did release it for test marketing back in '98. A few years ago they came up with a newer version that was tested in Europe. It didn't sell... our e-cigs are better devices.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
It's not, and they did release it for test marketing back in '98. A few years ago they came up with a newer version that was tested in Europe. It didn't sell... our e-cigs are better devices.

They are improved devices because there has been an 11 year time period to make those improvements. Look at Accord; then look at the Janty Stick and other such devices; then ask yourself who REALLY developed e cigs as they appear today.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA

Then I ran across this: (sorry, still can't post links, so I pasted a part of what I read)
Philip Morris developed Accord, a microelectric cigarette holder, to “address consumer concerns about health risks,” and as a direct competitive response to R.J. Reynolds’ “Premier” product. Unveiled in 1998, the battery-powered “smoking system,” which reduced visible smoke and ashes from the end of a cigarette, was a radically different kind of smoked tobacco product.
The device contained a microchip that sensed when an Accord cigarette was being puffed, and sent power to eight heating blades around the cigarette. The chip prevented ignition if conventional cigarettes were inserted into the lighter, and was also equipped with the equivalent of the television V-chip, a locking device for use by parents.
The device worked using a novel electronic sensor technology. Inhaling on a cigarette inserted in the device triggers the electrical heating element, which heats the cigarette to a temperature below that necessary to create combustion, but still delivers emissions which contain nicotine. The tobacco in the Accord cigarette is warmed only when puffed; smokers could take a puff from a cigarette in its holder, put the device down, and take another puff an hour later.

There is a discussion of this at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/campaigning/17600-anti-smoker-view-e-cigs-3.html

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
They are improved devices because there has been an 11 year time period to make those improvements. Look at Accord; then look at the Janty Stick and other such devices; then ask yourself who REALLY developed e cigs as they appear today.
No question about it! But their newer version, the Heatbar, was testmarketed in 2006 - more recently that Hon Lik's e-cig that we all know so well. When I look at it in its charger I can't help thinking it looks a bit like an electric toothbrush.
Heatbar photo

There was one a few years ago, Cant remember the name, that was "smokeless" but seemed to be ceramic based. It took a long time to light, and tasted awful. It was test marketed in the south, as a system to reduce second hand smoke, as it didnt burn off the end of the cig. I just remember it because I got a free pack at a concert one nite, cant remember the name. Anyone?

ramblingrose

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
New Jersey USA
There was one a few years ago, Cant remember the name, that was "smokeless" but seemed to be ceramic based. It took a long time to light, and tasted awful. It was test marketed in the south, as a system to reduce second hand smoke, as it didnt burn off the end of the cig. I just remember it because I got a free pack at a concert one nite, cant remember the name. Anyone?
First test market was in the south, in Richmond... if you were at the arena its a good bet it was the Accord. And yes, PM was advertising the reduction of second hand smoke.

RJR came out with the Eclipse a couple of years earlier. Vermont's attorney general sued them for claiming health benefits over cigs. Deja vu?

RJR: The best choice for smokers who worry about their health is to quit. The next best choice is Eclipse.

Vermont: There is no second-best choice to quitting and there is no evidence that Eclipse is any less harmful than any other brand of cigarettes available on the market... By suggesting that Eclipse is a safer cigarette, RJ Reynolds is misleading smokers, former smokers and nonsmokers about the health consequences of smoking Eclipse.

How many smokers' lives may have been saved if PM & RJR had been encouraged to continue development of alternatives?

I guess its easier and more politically correct to stifle innovation and let hundreds of thousands smokers continue to die for the antis' cause.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Big difference: Accord is a tobacco product from a tobacco company; an e-cig is a drug delivery product from China. The Philip Morris Aria is a much more apt comparison.
If PM and RJR were unsuccessful in marketing the Heatbar/Accord, then would they give it up just because it did not sell the first time? Wouldn't they instead go back to secret research to find another way of marketing such a product, and isn't it just possible that they might have done just that in China where the government and its people are friendly rather than hostile to BT?

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Vermont: There is no second-best choice to quitting and there is no evidence that Eclipse is any less harmful than any other brand of cigarettes available on the market... By suggesting that Eclipse is a safer cigarette, RJ Reynolds is misleading smokers, former smokers and nonsmokers about the health consequences of smoking Eclipse.[/I]

How many smokers' lives may have been saved if PM & RJR had been encouraged to continue development of alternatives?

I guess its easier and more politically correct to stifle innovation and let hundreds of thousands smokers continue to die for the antis' cause.
I believe it was sometime in the 70's when BT had developed a safer tobacco for cigarettes but could not market it without being open to mass litigation about those who had smoked their previously more dangerous products. What should have happened then and now is that they could have been granted immunity and the product placed on the shelf. Government and the people themselves are far too greedy to have allowed that. Thus, BT shelved the product.

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Unfortunately, BT lost a lot of credibility when it kept denying the ever mounting research that was proving the harmful effects of tobacco. It didn't help that they were actually manipulating the product in ways that made it more addictive and more dangerous.

I guess it was the "cry wolf" syndrome in reverse,,, a company that claims a product is safer than something it claimed wasn't dangerous in the first place, doesn't garner much trust.

Vermont saying what it did, slams the door on anything that actually might be safer. These are the jaws of the vice that we are being squeezed by. Whew,,,

robbiehatfield

ECF Veteran
May 10, 2009
I think that there are just too many people out there who've closed their minds and are happy that they don't have to deal with smelly cigarettes, cigars, and pipes when they go out and about in public. They don't want to even remotely entertain the notion that it can all come back with e-cigs. Of course we here all know it's untrue, but just take a look at the ASH homepage and you'll see that this is exactly the angle that they're using in order to play on the emotions of the general public.

The conundrum over coming out with safer ways to inhale nicotine is completely political for all the reasons mentioned already. It's also foolish. There are many more people who like driving cars vs. smoking and as such, car safety has evolved tremendously since that first Model T rolled off the production line. Would Henry Ford want to admit that his Model T was relatively unsafe when compared to a modern Ford Explorer? Of course not!

Had the e-cig come out shortly after the surgeon general's report back in the 1960's, I suspect it would have been here to stay as there was still enough freedom left at that time to prevent the federal government from invoking overwhelming tyranny to achieve their ends as is accepted as commonplace today.

Reminds me of the frog that is put in boiling water vs. the one put in water that's heated slowly....

Robbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread