Accurate, Cheap, Sturdy Ohm Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAVEAPER

Sep 17, 2012
Onward thru the fog
Im sure this has been covered before, but does anyone know of a good inexpensive ohm tester that is accurate and will last a good while? I really don't need a full-blown volt meter like electricians use, as all I need it for is testing the resistances of cartos, tanks, etc for the next few months.

I welcome your comments and appreciate your responses.

LongDraw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2012
Suburbs, IL
I just bought a cartomizer/atomizer checker from empiremods (the only place I could find it in stock) PV Accessories pretty spot on when I then check it on my provari as well. I also like this because it does not put enough current through it that you have to have juice on the coil from what I can tell so far. I just received it a few days ago so can't speak on its longevity though.

I have seen cheaper ones on Amazon, but this is pretty easy to use. You just screw it in to the base on the tester, there are no leads or anything to have to connect.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I just bought a cartomizer/atomizer checker from empiremods (the only place I could find it in stock) PV Accessories pretty spot on when I then check it on my provari as well. I also like this because it does not put enough current through it that you have to have juice on the coil from what I can tell so far. I just received it a few days ago so can't speak on its longevity though.

I have seen cheaper ones on Amazon, but this is pretty easy to use. You just screw it in to the base on the tester, there are no leads or anything to have to connect.

That is just what I was going to suggest. My local vape shop uses that. I have a fluke 115 so I can't justify that. I'm a tech nerd. LOL

michliu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
I've bought a couple of <$10 multimeters, including a $5 one at Harbor Freight, and I find they are not accurate enough for what I would like to know. Even after subtracting the reisstance from the leads and meter, my 1.8 ohm Vivi Nova head and stock Phoenix RBA coil both measure over 3 ohms. And if you don't hold very still, the measurement jumps all over the place. Good enough to know whether or not you have a short or not, but not accurate enough to determine the true resistance.

I guess I should have been more clear. My main use or this will be for accurate testing of the vivi nova heads. (They don't have the same threads as a 501 so they won't screw onto the one reccomended above).

Am I just going to have to use a voltmeter? I hope not, for the above mentioned reasons. Is it possible to just test the heads and get an accurate ohm reading? (Or does the entire unit need to be tested in the assembled state to obtain the correct reading at the coil)? I jsut want to be able to test them to see how close they are out of the package, and also test them when cleaning them to see if they are about to go bad. I assume the resistance goes way up as they are about to go bad....

I look forward to your responses once again! (I'm still a bit lost.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread