Adding Nic to Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I like to vape at 6 mg on some devices and other devices I like to vape at 18 mg. I have lots of 6 mg juice. If I wanted to add nic to some, how would I go about doing it?
You may want to check this answer because I am by no means experienced but I would imagine that you would do it the same way that you would do a home mix where the goal was 12 mg. There's calculators that will let you put the desired quantity in milliliters that you wish to have and will tell you how much 100 mg per milliliter nicotine you need to add to it to get your desired Nic level. And since what you already have is 6mg and you're looking to get 18 mg you would do it as though you wanted 12mg e-juice not 18 because otherwise it's going to give you an equivalent of 18 mg on top of your already present 6. Do some research on whether what I just said was correct or not because I don't know about the intricacies but that's how I would personally do it. Of course that involves having nic already if you don't have that I'm not sure how you would do it unless you're planning on getting some nicotine

Reactions: Vapemesilly

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You’re going to have to add at least something to the 6mg juices. There are issues with this because it will by definition weaken the flavor to some extent unless the additive is a higher nic juice of the same flavor. The higher nic the non juice additive the less change there will be.

One standard method I have seen is small tubes of very high nicotine liquid that can be added to low nic juices to “heat them up”

Reactions: Vapemesilly

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I know nothing about nic...I'm a noob about that. Can you elaborate on that?
Nic concentration is generally measured in mg/ml. Occasionally by percentages.
There is unprotonated nic and “salt” or protonated nic. There are many different chemicals that are collectively called “salt nic” but they are generally unprotonated nic reacted with some mild acid or another.

I don’t deal with “salt” nic at all myself. Afaik there is functionally zero research on its safety. Everything below is about traditional unprotonated nic.

truely pure nic is somewhere near ~1000mg/ml and is very very dangerous. The lower the molarity the easier it is to work with though.
The highest concentration I generally work with is 100mg/ml. 1/10th pure. The highest I’ve seen generally recommended to actually vape is 24mg/ml. This is quite strong, but not as strong as some protonated mixtures which can be double that.
Myself I vape 18-20mg/ml Mtl or 5-10mg/ml DL. These numbers are quite unusually high for a long term ecig smoker. Desire for nicotine generally reduces over time.

The mg/ml number is useful because if you know how many mls of juice you have you also know how many mgs of nicotine you have. To raise a 6mg/ml bottle of juice to 18mg/ml you have to more or less triple the nic content. A 30mlbottle of juice (which is full) at 6mg/ml will have about 180mg of nic in the bottle. That would need to increase to 540mg. What makes things complicated is while that is less than half a ml of pure nic, pure nic is wildly unsafe. Using 100mg/ml liquid it would take the addition of 5.4ml, which is easily enough to overflow the bottle and change the numbers since you don’t have 30ml anymore you have 35.4ml

Reactions: vapdivrr

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I know nothing about nic...I'm a noob about that. Can you elaborate on that?
Concentrated Nicotine Solution Packets | Liquid Nicotine
sapphyre.PNG

The tubes are .9ml each and they also sell a 2ml version of the 20%-200mg/ml strength.
The site has a very useful calculator as well.

HTH
I

• Informative
Reactions: bombastinator

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I personally suspect he knows full well how to do this stuff and is trying to get it posted so others can see it. It’s all good though.

Well, up until about an hour ago, I really did know nothing about it. Been vaping for quite a few years and never taken an interest in DIY.

After reading the responses I went to a nic site, saw a calculator and how it worked, ran a fictional calculation and had an "Ah...HA!" moment...and now I think I got it.

I appreciate the responses.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well, up until about an hour ago, I really did know nothing about it. Been vaping for quite a few years and never taken an interest in DIY.

After reading the responses I went to a nic site, saw a calculator and how it worked, ran a fictional calculation and had an "Ah...HA!" moment...and now I think I got it.

I appreciate the responses.
Cool beans :). “In at the death” at least

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
You mean I cant add 20mls of 6mg juice to a 30ml bottle of 6mg and get 50mls of 12mg juice?
Of course you can ... and it should last approximately 3.72 times longer than if you vaped each bottle separately (don't ask where I pulled that number from, I don't want to have fetch the formula as well).

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Hey that website Izan linked to is super cool! Handy calculator and those premeasured bottles are very easy (and safe) to use. I forgot to mention, wear gloves and eye protection! How many bottles of 18mg juice do you need (and how many ml)? If you do get a larger bottle of 100 mg nic, you will need a syringe to measure it (no needle needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread