Advice needed for small VW device

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokin909

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2014
Milan to Minsk
Hi all,

I'm looking for a device for the missus to help her transition completely off the analogues.
She currently smokes at work - but uses my mods at home - namely my Provari mini.
As much as I'd like to continue to let her to it take to work - I don't think she appreciates the craftsmanship and how much I love it - even if I don't use it as much as I used to.
I've found it wedged in between the sofa cushions and once she told me she thought she'd left it at work and eventually found it in her handbag after searching through that abyss for twenty minutes. Luckily my heart beat restarted when she pulled out of her bag amongst the bunches of keys and other scratchy objects she has in there (eyebrow tweezers etc.). I can report the Provari survived without a scratch.

I'm not really familiar with VW devices that have built in lipos - other than some of them catch on fire from what I've read :shock:. Okay I understand that there can be some issues but I'm after the following:

- Built in battery
- 30 watt would be sufficient which would allow her to go up to around 20 watts without stressing the board if she was so inclined - she's a tootie puffer (but I still love her). Currently vaping on a kayfun at around 1.5ohm. I'll be getting her a goblin mini to go with whatever I buy.
- Manufacturer with a good history of QC
- Small form factor - she needs to be stealthy at work - she feels self conscious vaping and wants something she can palm nicely in her hand. Thankfully her hands are not petite.

I just bought a Tesla Two for myself - she likes the size overall (H: 76mm D: 22.3) but would prefer if it was not as wide - it's 48mm - so she like it to be closer to 30mm.

Any suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I'm going to brush up on this segment of the market and come back with some ideas that I think might work.

Thank youse.

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I was going to recommend the iStick TC 40W as I've no had problems with mine. But there have been problems with the 50W version. Though, considering the huge number they sell, I'm not sure they fail at a higher percentage level than a lot of other mods.

image.jpg

smokin909

ECF Veteran
    Jun 24, 2014
    Milan to Minsk
    Just had a look at some reviews and istick 40 watt it is. Looks to the fit the bill. Small, slender, nice styling and easy to use in wattage mode and enough battery life for a day at work.

I might even have to steal it and start playing with TC - I haven't gone there yet.

Thanks for the really fast responses everyone :thumb: your photo mooch was a great help.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mooch

smokin909

ECF Veteran
    Jun 24, 2014
    Milan to Minsk
    UPDATE: I went out and bought a black iStick 40W and jeebus this this is freakin tiny :w00t: - I can't get over that it's 40W and TC! I use highlighters in my office that are bigger than this thing.

I spend most of my time with mech mods and apart from my Provari Mini I've never ventured into the current VW mod market yet - let alone lipo mods. Maybe this isn't as thrilling for many people but as I'm new to this style of mod I'm very blown away by the features in this ultra small package. The missus loves it which is great - so now I'm waiting to get the Goblin Mini to finish off her brief for a small, discrete, tank setup. She's got a Kayfun on it that is bigger and heavier than the mod itself!

My first, very brief, impressions: surprisingly well finished and feels nice in the hand - not flimsy at all. The 510 connector is well placed and the attys sit flush. Buttons and screen menu are really easy to use to dial in required wattage - a big plus for the sort of user I bought it for. The menu screen on this one was a good brightness - but I haven't taken it outside in the sun yet. Threw on my dripper with a single 0.6 ohm coil and quickly vaped it at 30watts - very pleased - nice pleasant vape. This was literally a 10 minute feel of the device. When I can pry the thing out of her hand I'll spend a few hours vaping with it and report back with some further impressions.

In summary: I needed a mod for my partner that was small, slender, around 30W, reliable, and able to deliver a decent quality vape experience so that she would find it appealing enough to get her to want to use it at work.
    Well so far out-of-the box she's fallen in love so it's been a great success in that regard. She's happily vaping away on the Kayfun. Hopefully the mod will stand the test of time in daily use and deliver on an ongoing basis.

If my the next step goes to plan, after using it for a couple of weeks with the Kayfun - that Goblin Mini will seal the deal for her and hopefully get her off the analogues for good.

Last edited:

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Add a black STM or other black tank on top of it and you'll have a winning combination for your partner.

I usually have my black STM (outfitted with a top fill) or Anyvape Sega (not Black but top fill) tank mounted on mine. Out of the +8 mods I own the TC40 is what I take to work most days. Small, light and for the unvaping public - unintimidating.

Reactions: smokin909
    I've been using an iStick 30W for a few months now, bought it for use with a Nautilus with a 1.8 ohm coil, then moved to RDAs... It's great for Tootle Puffers, but limiting for sub-ohm use, so I've just got a Mini Jedi 50W, currently running at 45w. I looked at the iStick 40w, but there were two things that turned me off; the max wattage, and I wanted a removable battery. Given your requirements, I think you and your wife are going to be real happy with the iStick 40W.

smokin909

ECF Veteran
    Jun 24, 2014
    Milan to Minsk
    I've been using an iStick 30W for a few months now, bought it for use with a Nautilus with a 1.8 ohm coil, then moved to RDAs... It's great for Tootle Puffers, but limiting for sub-ohm use, so I've just got a Mini Jedi 50W, currently running at 45w. I looked at the iStick 40w, but there were two things that turned me off; the max wattage, and I wanted a removable battery. Given your requirements, I think you and your wife are going to be real happy with the iStick 40W.

Agreed, definitely not for sub ohming and sub ohm clearos. I spent a good two hours with it running my rda with a 0.6 ohm build on it at 30 watts. I was doing restricted lung hits with the 0.6 ohm rda. This is not the device for that. It worked fine - but I felt I was pushing the device for sure and I felt it was getting a bit warm for my liking. I don't think I'd be wanting to go higher than 30 watts on the iStick and in any case I didn't feel I was getting the full 30 watts. PBusardo's test showed it was underpowered, esp at the 30+ watts range so I have to agree with his results from what I was experiencing.

On the other-hand, the Kayfun at 1.5 ohms did very well from 14 watts - 18.5 watts. I felt the iStick was running really nicely with room to spare and the vape was solid and consistent every time. At 18.5w it was more than enough for that build. I can definitely see an Aspire Mini with a 1.6ohm working really well with the iSitick.

It's most definitely a very nice tootie puffer device for those who like to vape less than 20 watts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread