Advice needed re: SID

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnyscrunt

Verified Member
Mar 24, 2012
Canada
Hi everyone,

I am having a hard time negotiating the forum (colour me blonde - I find it confusing) so I apologize in advance if this information has been covered.

I have a mad combination of fear, wanting, and a lack of education about mods. I want an SID because it's pretty, and I want my husband to have one because he is a dreadful battery killer and I think he will get more longevity out of the SID.

The biggest question is about protected vs. unprotected batteries - we know NOTHING about this. I heard protected batteries don't quite fit, but am terrified of an explosion. I do not want to go off all renegade and "just try it" and having something go horribly wrong.

Background info: He uses a Vivi Nova, I use a regular DCT tank, and we both use Kanger T2s at times. We've tried other things but they don't quite do it for us and these are our favourites so far. T3's were a total juice spilling disaster and we spent more time cleaning 'em up than vaping. We both use spinners and ego-C batteries right now, and have been wanting to upgrade for about a year but I keep putting on the brakes out of worry and finances because anything I buy I need two of.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice, support, or links you can provide!!

C

bunnyscrunt

Verified Member
Mar 24, 2012
Canada
Thanks for the info. Do you know what the degree of risk is with the batteries? I am very worried about it all. I keep seeing "If you don't know what you're doing, you could blow your head off", which seems pretty scary to me since I don't know what I'm doing. I mean, I am careful to use the appropriate charger, not use a damaged battery, not try to repair things myself, but I don't know if that constitutes sufficient care for these. It's a mystery to me how a battery could blow up in the first place.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
The circuitry of the SiD requires a high-drain battery. High drain of amps. Protected batteries have amp limits (ususally 2amps). As the circuit would demand more amps than a protected battery is able to supply, the protection circuit that's built into the battery would prohibit the circuit and/or mod from working.

High drain batteries are not so unsafe in a regulated mod. The circuit has safety built in to trip or shut down if there's a fault in the circuit.

Cliffs notes: You must use an unprotected battery in the SiD. The circuit of the SiD has the protection built-in.

* safety must be excercised with the batteries removed from the APV. If contacts are bridged by keys in the pocket, you will be known as hotpants, and not in a good way. ;)

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Dougie hit it right on the head

"If you don't know what you're doing, you could blow your head off", which seems pretty scary to me since I don't know what I'm doing.

this is mostly in regards to the mechanical vaporizers that have no electronics to guard against a short circuit.

there is also a new fad where people are using excessively low resistance on these mechanics using atomizers they rebuild themselves.

(It must be remembered that most of the high drain batteries can release well into 18amps of current and a bad coil will mean the battery is being directly shorted out and could go boom)

so we like to climb all over everyone doing these things about make sure you know what your doing!

while battery safety is always a good thing. it is less worrisome in a regulated mod like the SID

Last edited:

bunnyscrunt

Verified Member
Mar 24, 2012
Canada
That is a huge relief! I had heard that the protection was built into the mod, and I know I am not wanting a mechanical mod just because I like bells and whistles and information. The site I am ordering from doesn't really have a huge selection, but the batteries I was looking at are:

"Efest IMR 18650
Brand: Efest Model: 18650 V1
Capacity:2000mah Material: Li-Mn
Positive Pole: Nipple OR Flat Top
Sizes: 18.11(L)*65.02(W)mm

Safe chemistry LiMN means reduced risk of venting with flame or explosion. Due to the safety inherent in IMR safe chemistry batteries there is no protection circuitry added or built in. This provides a slightly shorter battery length to enable a good fit in most mods." <--- their words, not mine

The AW ones recommended aren't listed there, but these seem to be the next good option, if they will actually fit. I also have no clue whether flat or nipple top will work as some batteries come in both options.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
That is a huge relief! I had heard that the protection was built into the mod, and I know I am not wanting a mechanical mod just because I like bells and whistles and information. The site I am ordering from doesn't really have a huge selection, but the batteries I was looking at are:

"Efest IMR 18650
Brand: Efest Model: 18650 V1
Capacity:2000mah Material: Li-Mn
Positive Pole: Nipple OR Flat Top
Sizes: 18.11(L)*65.02(W)mm

Safe chemistry LiMN means reduced risk of venting with flame or explosion. Due to the safety inherent in IMR safe chemistry batteries there is no protection circuitry added or built in. This provides a slightly shorter battery length to enable a good fit in most mods." <--- their words, not mine

The AW ones recommended aren't listed there, but these seem to be the next good option, if they will actually fit. I also have no clue whether flat or nipple top will work as some batteries come in both options.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the Efest 18650s may not fit in your SID.
AW IMR 18650 1600 MaH will, for sure.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
Where are you ordering your SID from? Are you getting the batteries from the same vendor? I would leave a note in the comments section when you order, saying that the batteries you are ordering are for the SID and to contact you if they are too big. I had the same anxiety about moving up to mods that use separate batteries before I bought my Zmax.

I have several Efest LiMn 18650s (same as you mentioned) and they work well in all of my mods. I have never used a SID, so I'm unsure of whether some 18650s do not fit. With VV/VW mods like the SID, you are more protected than with a mechanical mod. As long as you are gentle with your batteries, you should not have a problem. Make sure you do not charge them overnight or when you are not around. Make sure you get some plastic battery cases for when you take batteries out with you. There was a thing about a guy who had a battery in his pocket and his keys completed the +/- circuit a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread