Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
Was looking for someone with hands on time using PT2 heads in the Aerotank. Can someone give some experience with this? I am not a fan of duel coils. I do love the performance I get from my PT2 with an Aerobase, using stock heads, and rebuilt microcoils with cotton wicks. I have been reading the PT2 heads will fit the Aerotank, but haven't really seen any one post a performance comparison. Is it superior to the PT2 with an Aero base, or pretty much just the same thing with a different look?

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
Jarbs:12191262 said:
i've been curious about this as well, but since cost is a factor for me, i've found pt2/base combos from separate vendors sometimes for cheaper than just an aerotank.

Me too. I like the look of the aero tank though. If it performs as well as a pt 2 with an aero base, I might consider a couple of them. But I don't want more heads to keep track of, and I don't really care for duel coils. I don't mind doubling my silicone gasket to avoid floodingI and be able to use my existing heads.

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
Miata GT:12191885 said:
I just got an Aerotank last night and have not had a chance to try my PT2 coil in it however comparing the two attys it appears the different in fitment would only require moving the solo one cap from the dual coil unit to the single coil.

According to my research, you need to have a second top silicone grommet placed upside down on top of the stock grommet. This would give two grommets installed on the head. Is this what you mean? Or are you referring to swapping the actual metal chimney posts?

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I tried using the sc head in my Aerotank with a second grommet turned upside down on the smoke stack pipe, it leaked. I only tried it once. I have 4 PT II tanks all fitted with the Aerotank base so figuring out wasn't that important to me. Willing to try it again if anyone has a better method. Would be nice to use the Aerotank with sc heads.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
I bought a Protank 3 a while back because someone convinced me that they weren't plagued by the same airflow issues that the 2 has on the Provari, and that my single coil heads could be used with them. I tried several different things to make the single coils work in it, but the results were VERY hit or miss. I finally traded it out at the shop I bought it for another Protank 2 and figured I would just buy the Aerotank bases for them because I wasn't overly impressed with the dual coil. Flavor and vapor production were only marginally better and not worth the considerable amount of liquid they consumed. I also didn't want to mess with multiple style of heads.
The other day, I finally got to see an Aerotank in person and loved the looks of it. I found a local shop selling the Aerotank for 24.99 and the bases for 4.99 and went to see what an aero tank looked like on my Provari. I couldn't resist and bought an Aerotank and bases for other Protanks thinking I would rebuild the dual coil heads with single coils or dual (if I had to), just for the looks of the Aerotank.
The added height the base gives takes a little getting used to, but the look of the Aerotank is worth it!
I tried rebuilding one of the dual coils with a single coil on a 4-40 machine screw and adding a large flavor wick to fill the remaining gap.
It worked pretty well. On par with my Protank 2 fitted with an Aero base, but I think there is definitely room for improvement.
I have given up on using single coil heads in my Aerotank and am working on rebuilding the dual coil heads with single coils. I'm sure there will be much trial and error before I find the best combination, and figure someone smarter than me will figure it out and give the rest of us some guidance. Even if I have to simply rebuild the dual coil heads with dual coils, the look of the Aerotank is well worth it.
The squared-off industrial look of it combined with brushed stainless is gorgeous!

On a side note, I find that the Aerotank bases cannot be tightened all the way down, as has been posted before here, before the silicone grommet flares and restricts airflow, but it can be tightened down enough that it is solid, doesn't flop, and has only a slight and barely noticeable gap.

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
On a side note, I find that the Aerotank bases cannot be tightened all the way down, as has been posted before here, before the silicone grommet flares and restricts airflow, but it can be tightened down enough that it is solid, doesn't flop, and has only a slight and barely noticeable gap.

I haven't had any issues with my aerobase and tightening all the way down. Does just fine on a VTR, a Vamo V5, and an SVD. If anything I found my aerobase actually solved the grommet squish problem. First time I've heard of this problem carrying over to the aerobase.

Lyric Kayden

Feb 11, 2014
Manhattan, KS
I haven't had any issues with my aerobase and tightening all the way down. Does just fine on a VTR, a Vamo V5, and an SVD. If anything I found my aerobase actually solved the grommet squish problem. First time I've heard of this problem carrying over to the aerobase.

Same here, I have always tightened my Aerotank down fully and no problems at all. I use my Aerotank on my VTR, VV V3, Vision Spinner and Ego Style batteries and no issues.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
It doesn't become unusable, but the draw does get quite a bit tighter if I tighten it almost all the way down. When I say "almost" I mean it is almost seated on top of my Provari. Maybe 1/16 of a gap. If I attempt to tighten any further, there is enough resistance that I truly feel I would damage the center pin of my APV. I didn't really get the Aerotank and Aerotank bases for the adjustable airflow, I got them simply for looks and so I could tighten my Protanks down further and not completely block air flow.
As I said, the draw definitely becomes tighter, but I simply use them with the airflow control wide open.
I also like that they no longer drip into my connection and that I have not experienced any real flooding issues either. I can almost drain my Aerotank and Protank 2's without issue.

I will say that I have a couple of coils where I pulled the center conductor out and used a belt sander to shorten the bottom of them slightly and I can tighten those all the way down without issue.

Last edited:

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Ok, just a little update. I have been playing with my Aerotank and coil variations a little more.
it seems that what seemed to be "air flow like" issues when tightening my Aerotank almost all the way down on my Provari seem to only happen when I am using stock dual coil heads. It happened when I initially used my Aerotank with one of the included heads, and I just never tried to tighten it all the way down after rebuilding it with a single coil.
It was bothering me because I just couldn't figure out how it could block air flow when the air inlets aren't in the post, so I decided to play around a little.
The only conclusion I can come up with is that tightening it all the way down, or nearly, seems to deform the coils slightly. Enough that it performance is adversely affected. I discovered that there is no issue when I use a rebuilt dual coil head with a single coil inside no matter how much I tighten it down.
I haven't yet tried with a rebuilt dual coil, as I don't have built at the moment. If I ever get around to building another dual coil I'll let you know, but my Aerotank is performing so well with a single coil I don't have the heart to tear apart any of my newly rebuilt dual coil heads with single coils inside to try it. my wife and kids are leaving for a week tomorrow and if I become too bored having a good time I may give it a go. Just for something to do. LOL.
Bottom line.......I don't know what caused my "air flow like" issues when using the stock dual coils, but this is the only hypothesis I can come up with. I can't replicate it with rebuilt dual heads with single coils inside, only with stock duals.
Hope this helps with your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread