Not open for further replies.

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
Got quite a few different attys - Kayfuns, Taifun, Fogger, Kraken etc. But decided to teat myself to an Aios clone recently, to match up with the chi you that I've got. Really impressed with how well they go together and the hybrid look is excellent.

Anyway, down to the nitty gritty. Has anyone modified their Aios in any way. I generally end up modding most attys, either drilling out the airholes or changing the wick channels in some way, to make them work better.

So far I've tried countless different set ups in the Aios :

Vertical and horizontal coils.

Cotton, ekowool, SS rope and different hybrids of the three.

Wick extending into the tank and just touching the underside.

Minimal amounts of cotton to almost filling the deck.

----------------------------------------------

The only problem I'm having is not enough vapour. I get huge amounts of flavour, plenty of throat hit, just not enough vapour. Don't get me wrong, if I vape with my eyes closed, it's a satisfying vape and I've never been a cloud chaser. My sweet spot is usually using a 1.0 - 1.7 ohm micro or nano coil, cotton wick and 50/50 juice mix.

So has anyone tried modding their Aios, any pointers gratefully accepted :D
Must admit I do like the airy draw of the Aios and don't mind the fact that it's a cooler vape.

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
I have not modded my aios yet and am still learning it's idiosyncrasies. So far my best build is an 8 wrap 28g vertical microcoil with an ID at 5/64. This is wicked with cotton that touches the underside of the tank section. It does not enter the small hole on the tank.

Vapor is excellent in my opinion though I'm still getting used to a cool vape. Flavors good but in my limited time with it maybe not as good with a warmer vape.

Need more time with various juices to determine if I like it alot or not much at all

I am interested in how this thread develops :pop:

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I really wanted to like the AIOS. I love the look of a hybrid. I even bought two of them....but I hate the damn things.

I tried numerous builds, using mesh, cable, microcoils, ekowool, cotton, you name it....and I was never satisfied with the vape from them. The flavor was always very muted and vapor production was low. I blame this on the coil being so far away from the air holes. Mind you, I was the type that actually liked the cool vape it gave.

The best build for it I came up with was using 1/16" SS cable sleeved with 2mm hollow ekowool. I never seemed to have any luck with mesh only, as I would get a nice even coil going and it would instantly short after assembling as the wick touched the tank. I even bought the PMMA tank for it from FT and tried mesh again. Even a hollow SS wick wouldn't wick juice fast enough from the tank to not get dry hits.

I chalk the AIOS up to an idea that probably looked good on paper, but didn't really work.

Here is a thread from awhile back with some different builds in it, including some photos from my ekowool/cable builds later in the thread.

Best of luck! ;)

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the link:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/477300-aios-td-replica.html

Last edited:

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
Well thanks input so far :)

I have not modded my aios yet and am still learning it's idiosyncrasies. So far my best build is an 8 wrap 28g vertical microcoil with an ID at 5/64. This is wicked with cotton that touches the underside of the tank section. It does not enter the small hole on the tank.

Vapor is excellent in my opinion though I'm still getting used to a cool vape. Flavors good but in my limited time with it maybe not as good with a warmer vape.

Need more time with various juices to determine if I like it alot or not much at all

I am interested in how this thread develops :pop:

Just wondering what other toppers you're comparing the vapour production too, so I can get an idea. For me, I may have been spoiled a bit vapour wise, as I tend to mainly use Kayfun types at home. To be honest, so far, I can get more vapour from a simple Vivi Nova with a standard silica wick. Maybe it's just me being over fussy :laugh:

But I do like to tinker with my vaping gear. I don't think any of my toppers are 100% standard :laugh:

I really wanted to like the AIOS. I love the look of a hybrid. I even bought two of them....but I hate the damn things.

I tried numerous builds, using mesh, cable, microcoils, ekowool, cotton, you name it....and I was never satisfied with the vape from them. The flavor was always very muted and vapor production was low. I blame this on the coil being so far away from the air holes. Mind you, I was the type that actually liked the cool vape it gave.

The best build for it I came up with was using 1/16" SS cable sleeved with 2mm hollow ekowool. I never seemed to have any luck with mesh only, as I would get a nice even coil going and it would instantly short after assembling as the wick touched the tank. I even bought the PMMA tank for it from FT and tried mesh again. Even a hollow SS wick wouldn't wick juice fast enough from the tank to not get dry hits.

I chalk the AIOS up to an idea that probably looked good on paper, but didn't really work.

Here is a thread from awhile back with some different builds in it, including some photos from my ekowool/cable builds later in the thread.

Best of luck! ;)

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the link:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/477300-aios-td-replica.html

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look through that later.

Must admit, my best build so far, is with SS rope and a cotton sleeve (similar to the ekowool sleeve). That's the way I've got all my Gennies set up now. I've been thinking about this and I'm wondering if it's worth opening the airholes a little and possibly even opening up the juice hole in the bottom of the tank. I've seen a couple of builds where the wick is just below the tank and the juice just drip feeds.

I'm going to have a play with the Aios on my next day off, see what I can come up with. Don't really want to send it to the vape drawer of doom just yet :laugh:

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
My toppers I own are the Russian 91%, Aqua, new Gus ESTIA and Sophia for tanks other than the Aios. I have the magma, Zenith v2, storm-a, helios, immortalizer and atomic for drippers. I also have a kraken and a jemits assets v3 hybrid Genesis mod as well.

I pretty much use cotton but have a lot of mesh, ss rope, Eko wool and silica to play with too.

Just double checking, have you tried a similiar build to what I mentioned?

This is the video that gave me the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVt8oLifPOY

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
dwcraig1 made what i called a "waterslide build" i never did get around to trying it as my 1/16" cable w/ mesh sleeve and 1.4Ω vertical micro coil serves me quite well. i, like you, would like to see moar vapor but vapor is my third most important thing. flavor and TH are my two biggies. but anyway dwcraig positioned the coil by the air holes in tank mode my angling the wick and supporting it with a needle creating a "waterslide". post #37 & 88:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/477300-aios-td-replica-9.html

to get more vapor (whenever i decide to tear this build down), i plan to just go dripper mode. that way i can make a nice long legged micro coil and slap it right in front of the air holes.

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
My toppers I own are the Russian 91%, Aqua, new Gus ESTIA and Sophia for tanks other than the Aios. I have the magma, Zenith v2, storm-a, helios, immortalizer and atomic for drippers. I also have a kraken and a jemits assets v3 hybrid Genesis mod as well.

I pretty much use cotton but have a lot of mesh, ss rope, Eko wool and silica to play with too.

Just double checking, have you tried a similiar build to what I mentioned?

This is the video that gave me the idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVt8oLifPOY

That's a fair collection you've got going on there. When I try out a new atty, I always use the Kayfun as a benchmark, hence the reason for asking about the comparison.

I have seen that video before, thanks for posting the link. I have tried that style of build, but to be honest I used a bit less cotton when I tried it. I'll try upping the cotton amount next time see if it makes any difference. Thanks again for the reply :)

dwcraig1 made what i called a "waterslide build" i never did get around to trying it as my 1/16" cable w/ mesh sleeve and 1.4Ω vertical micro coil serves me quite well. i, like you, would like to see moar vapor but vapor is my third most important thing. flavor and TH are my two biggies. but anyway dwcraig positioned the coil by the air holes in tank mode my angling the wick and supporting it with a needle creating a "waterslide". post #37 & 88:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/477300-aios-td-replica-9.html

to get more vapor (whenever i decide to tear this build down), i plan to just go dripper mode. that way i can make a nice long legged micro coil and slap it right in front of the air holes.

I like the look of the waterslide build. That's another one for me to try. Must admit, it took a few builds to perfect the ithaka when I first got it. But I'm like a dog with a bone, when things don't quite work right. I'll keep on trying until I get it right.

I'll definitely be ripping it apart soon to see what I can do with it. Bigger airholes and making sure they line up properly with the coil area will be the first thing I'll sort out. Must admit, I feel the same way about my vape - flavour first, vapour comes much lower down on the must have list :D

It will be a few days, before I get to play with it. But I'll update how it goes.

thanks again to everyone who's posted so far :)

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
Just a quick update. Finally got the Aios kicking out some clouds.

Decided to go for a slightly lower ohm coil this time, so built a nano coil on a 20ga needle, came out at 0.8 ohms. Mounted it vertically and threaded the cotton through so that the top of the cotton is only just touching the underside of the tank. Didn't bother with a support for the cotton, because the cotton pads I use hold together pretty well. No sign of any sagging when the cotton was all juiced up. Then used the cotton under the coil to wrap around the posts. Plus I added some more cotton to soak up any excess juice - like the dragon nano coil.

Only filled it up 3/4 full this time, cos I'd heard that overfilling it can cause problems with the gravity feed.

So far so good. Excellent flavour, vapour and throat hit. It actually seems a slightly warmer vape this time, possibly because of the lower ohms. Made sure I put a decent Sony battery in the chi you, just be safe. Really pleased with this build now. I will be opening up the airholes at some point, but that can wait for another day :D

bce22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2014
Blackstone, MA
Just a quick update. Finally got the Aios kicking out some clouds.

Decided to go for a slightly lower ohm coil this time, so built a nano coil on a 20ga needle, came out at 0.8 ohms. Mounted it vertically and threaded the cotton through so that the top of the cotton is only just touching the underside of the tank. Didn't bother with a support for the cotton, because the cotton pads I use hold together pretty well. No sign of any sagging when the cotton was all juiced up. Then used the cotton under the coil to wrap around the posts. Plus I added some more cotton to soak up any excess juice - like the dragon nano coil.

Only filled it up 3/4 full this time, cos I'd heard that overfilling it can cause problems with the gravity feed.

So far so good. Excellent flavour, vapour and throat hit. It actually seems a slightly warmer vape this time, possibly because of the lower ohms. Made sure I put a decent Sony battery in the chi you, just be safe. Really pleased with this build now. I will be opening up the airholes at some point, but that can wait for another day :D

Thanks for posting this. Now that I spent more time with the Aios (2 tank fulls) I agree with you that the vapor production isn't as great as some of my other attys. I still feel it is decent but I will try a nano coil like you on my next build.

If you find anything else that works for you please post. I am interested in your findings.

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
Thanks for posting this. Now that I spent more time with the Aios (2 tank fulls) I agree with you that the vapor production isn't as great as some of my other attys. I still feel it is decent but I will try a nano coil like you on my next build.

If you find anything else that works for you please post. I am interested in your findings.

No problem will do.

I'll vape it as it is for a while and see how it works out. But I've got a feeling I'll be drilling out the airholes at some point.

I'll update if anything changes :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread