• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Akron/Canton Area B&M

Status
Not open for further replies.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
While waiting for my daughter's car to be serviced, I talked her into riding with me to Legend Vapor. I've been trying to check out all of the "local" e-cig shops. I once spent half a day tracking down Vapor Bombs' physical location (hey, I'm retired). Unfortunately, most of the B&Ms are little more than a small show case of Kanger Kits or Blu cig kits, but this is a young industry and you need to start somewhere, so I wish them all future growth and success. Hands down, until today, the best B&M has been Altsmoke in New Philidelphia, an hour drive. (I haven't been to Groove-e-juice yet --kinda gave up on them as I was watching for them to open their lounge which as of a couple months ago, never happened.)
ANYWAY, stopped at Legend Vapor. They were busy, and I couldn't spend much time, but they are a "supermarket" (lots of clones: Ithaka, kayfun, Kraken, etc.) compared to the kiosks that the others are. Prices were competitive They certainly should be considered when vape shopping. The next time I'm back in Akron, I'll stop in and engage them and will update this post. In the meantime, for anyone looking for a truly broad variety of devices and toppers, this place warrants a drop-bye.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
Had the opportunity to stop back in. Like any vendor, some items are a couple dollars higher, some are a couple of dollars lower than what can be found in other shops (internet-US based- or otherwise-local). The sales people are friendly enough, but the ones on duty weren't particularly knowledgeable. On my first visit, It was refreshing that they readily admitted this and were forthcoming in stating that the 2 people who were knowledgeable would be available at stated times. On this visit, they pointed out the manager but a number of people were waiting to see him, so I didn't have the time to wait to talk to him.
On the downside, the employees are very young and the manager isn't much older. The clientele didn't look old enough to be vaping, but I'm guessing they were college age. As an older vaper, I was very uncomfortable. It would have helped if at least one employee (or customer) had looked old enough to legally purchase a beer. I felt like a middle age guy trying to fit into a college bar.
Bottom line, if you are over 30, have done your research, don't want to buy over the internet, and Legend has it in stock, put on a trenchcoat and fedora and dash in and out and grab your item before anyone sees you.

WakeUpDead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2013
Ohio, USA
I have visted a few shops around the Canton area,

First: "Magic Mist" on West Tusc right down from the fairgrounds, at last stop they were selling basic Ego's, VV Ego's and T3s, T2's, Vivi Nova's too, they had a VG line of juices VaporMate USA brand, no mods or a lot of flavors. May have more now, was told they were adding on to have a taste testing space and self mixing station.

Second: "The Vapor Lounge LLC", on Cleveland Ave NW right across the on ramp to HWY62 West. At last visit They had a nice tasting area and lounge along with one long case with mainly Ego style devices and a few Mech Mods, Segeli I believe, a few carto tanks, some CE16s and T3s, Vivi Novas and a few others, no RBAs or anything. Never bought juice there, I was doing DYI by then, they mixed their own i believe.

Third: "E-Cignificance" in Massillon off Lincoln way w in the same plaza Bob Evans is in. No lounge, just two cases with once side ego style stuff, some pro tanks, carto tanks, t3s, some CE16 and drip tips, otehr case had some Mech mods and VV/VW devices, pricey to say the least. Like SID, Vamo, telescoping mods, batteries. they have juice there behind counter you ask what you want to try off a sheet of paper. Again I dont buy juice so dont know what brand, small shop, good for first timers, pricey! They have a second store they opened in canton, in the old theater off 30th street across from the Plasma donation place, ive been told its very big and they have a bunch of stuff, RBAs and supplies Not sure but if the price is the same as the massillon store I wouldnt want to go anyhow.

Fourth: "Vapor Station" in Massillon on Navarre Rd. Go past HWY30 on 21 south you want to turn left at light after MCDs, its on the left. This is what I call my shop, they have about everything you could need, get the latest tanks when they come out, had the new Iclear 30s and Bs now too, they have about every new VV/VW device, MVPs VTRs 134s, smoketech devices, vamo, sid, k100s and 101s RBAs and RDAs mesh and wire, silica and ekowool, they are a WestSideVapor Co. franchise I believe, no lounge really they have chairs around their testing tables but no place to hang out really. I wish they did but they have a huge juice operation running, yes they make their own as you order it. They have had everything i have ever wanted, when i buy from a B&M. Prices are ok, cheaper to get online still but better than all three shops above on price.

I was going to make the trip to "Legend Vapor" but I DYI my own juice for months now, I buy 90% of my devices, atties, supplies and DYI stuff Online, Im done with B&Ms around here but for my main shop when needed. They are over priced, lack any real selection for a seasoned vapor and like the post said above mine, I feel a bit old when in these shops. The crowds are much younger and the lack of a lounge type atmosphere to bring me into the B&M why should I go? Most the time i found myself helping the employees explain vaping and equipment to new customers, I didnt get paid anything for it either.

Overall for a new vapor user, the Canton area has many easy places to go and find a good ecig to help someone quit smoking, thats great. However we need a advanced store/lounge for those of us that have moved far past a simple Ego and CE4!

I would like to go hang out with fellow vapors that have stories to tell about their new coil they just added to their list of coils they have tried in their Kayfun or how they pushed their DNA20 to 18watts and had a great vape, or the flavor of this new juice they found or made. Thats what I would love to do and have in the Canton area, how about you?

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
I've visited eCignificance at 30th and at the Alliance store. I'll have to try the Vapor Station sometime but I can probably drive to Cleveland in the same amount of time, so it's not likely to become a regular "go to" for me. It'd just be nice to find a place that carried essentials and where I could do a quick drop-in to get Kanthal, wicks etc at a reasonable price. I'm not looking for a place to hang out, so a lounge isn't important.

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
I felt the same about Legend Vapor. I had a hard time talking to the sales person I had. He had holes in his earlobes big enough to park my car in and more metal in his face than it is made from. I bought 4 juices there after trying them there. When I got home; an hour drive, I tried one and it was really bad. Not like I tasted there. Out of the 4 juices I bought two of them after sitting for a month went down the drain.

I also got an EVOD branded eGo battery for a backup and it works fine.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
So, whachya think?
So I visited the following shops:

Altsmoke
545 West High Ave
New Philadelphia, OH

Limited Selection of tanks beyond CE4s, some clone RBAs, decent selection of juices, friendly staff.

Open until 8:00 PM

No vape lounge.

If you are in the area it's worth stopping in.

Vapor Station
8519 Navarre Road SW
Massillon, OH

Best of the 4 I visited this trip.

Nice selection of mods, tanks, etc... huge selection of juices with lots of samplers sitting around for you to try. Decent selection of wicks and wire.

Friendly and knowledgeable staff.

Open until 7:00 PM

I'll go back

Legend Vapor
1089 East Tallmadge Ave
Akron, OH

The place was full of kids, doubt any were over 16 or 17. The staff is very young.

I asked one of the staff if they had any bridgeless atomizers, he asked me what that was so I explained it to him, he told me all their tanks comes with wicks, I said thanks.

I saw they had the Kanger Aero at the same price as most of the online sites bought 2. Asked the same kid if they sold the aero bases separately, showed me the pro tank base. I tried to explain it to him, he short circuited at that point and went for help. The manager came over to tell me they were expecting them in next week.

Lots of juices, tank selection was decent.

They had a vape lounge, kids sitting around discussing sub ohm coils a .2 and .3 ohms.

Not a bad shop, but don't go here if you don't know what you need. Of the 3 staff members on duty only one was capable of answering questions.

BTW I am 55 and no one looked at me weird. I was dressed as an EMT and open carried my .45.

I might go back, if I was driving past and my tank sprung a leak as I was passing by.

Groove-E-Juice
152 1/2 Franklin Ave
Kent, OH

Small shop (my living room is bigger) in a nice old train station, worth going just to see the building.

They are upstairs, smokers will be tired by the time they climb the stairs. Go in the big red door on the north end of the building.

Very friendly but overworked staff.

They have one chair for those wishing to taste test juices so you wait in line for your turn.

2 display cases with lots of tanks, some RDAs, lots of ego choices and several CE4s. Couple mods.

One girl sitting in the corner mixing juices.

1960's head shop motif.

Didn't try any of the juices.

Prices seemed ok for B&M.

Go at lunch time, nice restaurant on the first floor.

Open until 10:00 PM

I'll go back

Last edited:

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Other than Legend, did any of the others carry RBA clones like the Ithaka, Taifun GT etc.? I you noticed.
Which would you recommend I try first between the Vapor Station and Groove-E-Juice? I'm a bit older than you, if that influences your suggestion. Thanks.
Nice write-up.

IF it were me I would go to Vapor Station in Massillon. Better selection. Groove-E-Juice's selection was limited. Both are nice and worth the visit. If I lived local I think I would like to experiment with the juices at Groove-E-Juice.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
As a "sort of followup" on the info I posted on some of the B&M shops around Akron, I stopped in Columbus at the AltSmoke store. They are affiliated with the AltSmoke in New Philadelphia. Unlike the New Philly store the Columbus store was well stocked. All kinds of stuff and a small but decent vape lounge.

They said the were sure the New Philly store would grow and carry a larger inventory.

I picked up 4 bridgeless attys and a ProTank II.

The staff was very knowledgeable and friendly.

They are on North High Street, which is OSU territory. Lots of young adults but no kids. :)

MySubliminalYear

Apr 5, 2014
Ohiooooo
Does anyone know if AltSmoke carries juices from other vendors? I frequent the Vapor Station in Navarre pretty often, and now there is a new store behind Grinders on Whipple called SmartAsh, but they both carry the same exact things because they purchase from the same vendor (Westside Vapors). I love both of these stores, but I'm ready to break away from the juice they carry and try some of the other juices that people rave about.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
Does anyone know if AltSmoke carries juices from other vendors? I frequent the Vapor Station in Navarre pretty often, and now there is a new store behind Grinders on Whipple called SmartAsh, but they both carry the same exact things because they purchase from the same vendor (Westside Vapors). I love both of these stores, but I'm ready to break away from the juice they carry and try some of the other juices that people rave about.

The AltSmoke shop I go to in Cincinnati carries juice from 5 or 6 different vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread