Not open for further replies.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Okay, here is what I sent to my sister:
(please excuse the Japanese- we both grew up in Japan)

Hey ______,
Sorry to labor you with this task. If you don't want to, I certainly understand, or if you want to just do some of it, that's fine too. I found out that there are two bills operating at the same time at the state level and an ordinance at the city level- so there are 3 different letters to email. The City of Birmingham is trying to include e-cigarettes in their indoor ban. Not that it's a bad thing to ban regular cigarettes in bars, etc., but it is unfounded that they want to ban electronics too- there is no smoke from e-cigs and they are much less harmful (as you know) than cigarettes. So, it's important to defeated this...The other ban is a statewide ban (and a proposal in the Senate with an identical proposal in the House), so even if Birmingham's ordinance falls, the state can come along and change all of this and still impose a ban. You can read my letters (3 in all- and all true btw)- they are all the same essentially, but with a slightly different heading and bill/ordinance numbers depending on where they are going. This is where it gets a little yayakoshii and will take a little work on your part. I am including 5 word documents to help you. I'm thinking this could take you 30- 45 mins so if you don't want to do it, just let me know- I would understand. I too don't have a dog in this fight directly but banned in one state or municipality, it gets easier and easier for governments to ban them across the country and eventually it will come to Tennessee and Knoxville (again). The FDA tried to ban e-cigs nationally but were defeated in federal court last year, so they are using local and state governments to try to push their agenda now...similar bans are being proposed in Hawaii, Utah, New York, Indiana and Georgia right now. Through the voice of the people, similar bans have failed and not been implemented in several states (once already in Tennessee) and municipalities, so voicing our opinion does work!! In Virginia, they banned indoor smoking but allowed e-cigarettes and there hasn't been a problem at all- In fact, many smokers have switched to e-cigs because they see they can be used indoors while they can't "smoke" in these places- and they are reaping the benefits from quitting! As you know, the FDA is funded by not only our tax money, but by big Pharmaceutical companies' research money. The same thing with the American Heart Association, Lung Association, etc. The worst thing I heard lately is this new group, Smoke Free Kids- they are supported too by these Alphabet Soup organizations who claim that e-cigs (because they have flavors) will cause kids to start using them, becoming a gateway to real cigarettes- absolutely unfounded- Kids don't want to use strange looking devices- if they're going to smoke (to be cool, etc.) they'll just smoke. Anyway, enough of my rant- The large companies are losing money because of e-cigs- which means less money for the FDA...It's all political and has nothing to do about saving lives of peoples who smoke by getting them to switch. Enough said.

So, the documents I'm sending you are in 3 parts:
1. Letter to the Birmingham City Council members- I have included a list of the members. You'll have to find the list of member names/emails in the file called City Council and send them that letter.
2. Letter to Senators- same deal- you'll have send them the letter that says Honorable Senator. The names/emails can be found in the file called Senator_representatives Contact Information.
3 Letter to Representatives- same deal- Honorable Representative document- their list is also in that file for #2.
I hope this all makes sense. Call me if you need help...It's a ..... fighting corrupt government.

Domo Arigato!!
-David

HVAU

Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Huntsville
Just sent. Grass roots and all.

Dear Mrs. McClurkin,

I am writing in regards to the above referenced bills. I do not normally contact Representatives about my personal politics, but I am compelled in this particular matter due to my personal experiences as I make my way to becoming a non-smoker.

I began smoking at the age of 12. I am now 34. I have been diagnosed with COPD and the early stages of emphysema. The blame for these conditions rest solely on my shoulders. I have attempted to quit smoking using Nicorette, Nicotrol and Chantix, as well as, going cold turkey. I have failed with each of these methods despite repeated attempts.

On January 8th of this year I decided to try to quit smoking through the use of electronic cigarettes. While it is too early in the process to proclaim absolute success I can confidently say that for the first time I am optimistic about my chances of becoming a non-smoker. Electronic cigarettes provide all of the physical sensations of smoking, fulfill the nicotine dependence and divert my energies into an interesting hobby, all without assaulting my lungs, throat and mouth with carcinogens. In fact, other than nicotine and flavoring all that I am ingesting is a vapor similar to that you might be exposed to in a theatre production using fog machines.

Please consider any bills limiting the use of electronic cigarettes from this perspective. Please do not handicap my ability, and that of others, to successfully improve my health and the health of those in my family and environment.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Just got off the phone with Sen Reed's office - I hope that you got better information than i did Huntsvappin. The person i spoke to initially only knew that they had passed an amendment..but wasn't sure which one. He went and checked and said it was an exemption for tobacconists (i think) .

No amendments on e-cigs, so far, but apparently they will be discussing additional amendments. The next committee meeting is next Wednesday. It also sounded like the meeting today was a public hearing. perhaps next week will be too?

Huntsvappin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2012
Huntsville AL
Here is what I have learned:

Today was apparently the only public hearing for this bill...boooooo. Also I got a little attitude from Senator Reeds assistant when I asked if I could schedule a call to actually talk to him. She didn't think he would voice out opinion or want to mess with Senator Figures Bills. She suggested I talk to the Sponsor, and when I made the point that Reed was one of them she scuffed and told me to call Figures. I still told her I would like to have him call me, but somehow I don't think he will get the message.

So looks like I'm going to focus my efforts on Senator Figures

Ohhh the amendments to the bill have nothing to do with Smoke FreE-Cigs, They would exempt tobacco manufactures and cigar bars.

Huntsvappin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2012
Huntsville AL
Got an interesting call this afternoon. Representative Jim Patterson from the House Health Committee called me today, and I am meeting with him tomorrow to talk about HB383 and Smoke FreE-Cigarettes :). From the short conversation I had with him, it seems he is against the bill altogether. So hopefully I can build us a House Alliance for E-Cigs. Now all I gotta do is get a Senator or two on our side. This legislation stuff is becoming a full time job shhhesh, but its worth it. I'll let you know more as I know more, Happy Vapping!

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Got an interesting call this afternoon. Representative Jim Patterson from the House Health Committee called me today, and I am meeting with him tomorrow to talk about HB383 and Smoke FreE-Cigarettes :). From the short conversation I had with him, it seems he is against the bill altogether. So hopefully I can build us a House Alliance for E-Cigs. Now all I gotta do is get a Senator or two on our side. This legislation stuff is becoming a full time job shhhesh, but its worth it. I'll let you know more as I know more, Happy Vapping!

Awesome! Be sure and let Kristen or someone at CASAA know so they can update their records, and offer advice (if you want, that is :) )!

Huntsvappin

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2012
Huntsville AL
Today has been a good day for legislation. I have Talked to One House Rep, and two Senators. None of which seem to support the bill for many different reasons. I highly recommend everyone start making phone calls not only to the Health Committee member but to all your local Reps and Senators as well. Find out their positions on the bill and educate them on E-Cigs. Dont stop calling either, keep calling until you actually talk to them. Emails are the least effective way to get to these people. Call and Snail Mail!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread