Status
Not open for further replies.

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
How well does the final finish hold up to wear and tear. If it is anything like resin I have worked with in the past it should be fairly permanent and strong.

I have been using the first couple for about a month and they are pristine......wipe clean and super low maintenance. You are supposed to be able to sand and polish.

There are a couple that I started using before they cured properly and I have some roughing on the spot where my thumb sits. I have let these go (with no further deterioration) so I can see if they polish out. When I say roughing you can't actually feel it but you can see it if you look really hard and at the right angle.

The other thing I found is that because it's winter over here too much moisture does sometimes leave a really tiny dimpling. Again you can't feel but if I hold it just right you can see it. Once summer comes I presume I will be able to manage this a bit better.

And the airbubbles that you torch off will act differently in different temperatures.

Another thing is that you can sort of play with the resin for a period of time and it will self level............ And then it doesn't LOL

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
I'm in love.......:wub:

they're all beautiful however the bottom row middle & right have my heart........:hubba:

:p Thank you...... I like them all. Sadly most of them will not actually end up on a billet box because the colours are a bit wrong for the particular box I had in mind. That's ok though I have a friend who makes jewellery and I sent the fails to her to use in some of her designs.

Waste not. :thumbs:

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
:p Thank you...... I like them all. Sadly most of them will not actually end up on a billet box because the colours are a bit wrong for the particular box I had in mind. That's ok though I have a friend who makes jewellery and I sent the fails to her to use in some of her designs.

Waste not. :thumbs:

That's awesome! I'm a mixed media crafter I know what that's all about!

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
The Evic AIO arrives Monday so that will be next weeks pics. :p

This week has been all about playing with various colour combinations.

image_10.jpeg
hi krisma !
building a new mod and will be using your ideas ...which my color combenations would turn out as nice as yours !! for the black I tried a sharpie not the greatest. by accident I mixed blue and red in a little white bottle cap ..when it dried it was a real black .
just could not resist of trying a little ice resin pour ..are you using a black ink ? like the one in the bottom row , and then red on top of it ?.I will try to
DSCF1323.jpg
DSCF1323.jpg
upload some pics of the project ..,you created a monster !! omg

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
hi krisma !
building a new mod and will be using your ideas ...which my color combenations would turn out as nice as yours !! for the black I tried a sharpie not the greatest. by accident I mixed blue and red in a little white bottle cap ..when it dried it was a real black .
just could not resist of trying a little ice resin pour ..are you using a black ink ? like the one in the bottom row , and then red on top of it ?.I will try to
DSCF1323.jpg
DSCF1323.jpg
upload some pics of the project ..,you created a monster !! omg

That is brilliant. Nice :p

I haven't done a lot with the black because my black is solid and just covers everything but hey it's all play and if you don't like it you just do another one. Just a thought in using the black. You can use different dilutions and get some lovely greys with that black.

You can also use stencils. Next weeks play. :p

Reactions: Semiretired

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
I know what you mean about the edges. My brother works with Envirotex. He's an artist and sometimes paints on seashells (sand dollars) and coats them with it. They come out like glass with perfect edges.

I'm glad to hear that you think it might work and I can't wait to see what you come up with when you get yours. Oh lord, I'm off to Hobby Lobby tomorrow. :D

I got the Evic yesterday so while I was pouring some Reo panels I used up some bits I had left over. The surface isn't perfect (I handled it a bit much a bit early in the cure) but I wanted to see if it held the curve while it cured.

It seems to sit nicely in the recess and if feels much nicer than the faux stickers you get with it. Time will tell if the glue sheet is strong enough to keep it on the edge of mod but it does look really nice and makes the mod a bit special

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
Some pics of the reo panels. Because they sit flat on the doors I was worried about the edges and also the thin strip (which has the trademark dip of resin as it gets pulled back into the main pool)

There are some issues with doing this on a flat mod door that you don't get with mods that have a recess.

The Yupo paper is white and I normally run a black sharpie round to hide it. With the panel sitting on a flat face that edge will be exposed so every time you clean with ISOpropyl alcohol you will need to blacked the edge.

Even though the reo door has sharp corners you need to round off the panels slightly to give a nice finish.

I have one mounted and you can't really feel the edge but I suppose over time there is a chance that moisture will get in between the mod and the panel which could result in a bit of lifting. A more permanent glue might be required

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
krisma
any preference for a permanent glue ?just glued some parts on my mod and tried some gorilla super glue gel it seems to stick to yupo . one more question ...do you have a problem with resin not curing ? which is better ice or the envirotex pour on ? my test was with ice ..mixed a very small amout so not to accurate .
the pour on the inked yupo did not want to cure properly the part of abs plastic with the sqare hole filled did ok . same mix same pour !
your joytec project ...stunning !!

Reactions: Krisma

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
krisma
any preference for a permanent glue ?just glued some parts on my mod and tried some gorilla super glue gel it seems to stick to yupo . one more question ...do you have a problem with resin not curing ? which is better ice or the envirotex pour on ? my test was with ice ..mixed a very small amout so not to accurate .
the pour on the inked yupo did not want to cure properly the part of abs plastic with the sqare hole filled did ok . same mix same pour !
your joytec project ...stunning !!

I like to change things around so I am still using the double sided glue sheet which works well but is not permanent. When I want permanent I use Loctite professional super glue.

I had some in the beginning that didn't cure properly and according to the instructions it was either a mismatch in the quantities or not mixed properly. It did eventually go harder ;) I use plastic disposable spoons as my measure and only do small amounts at a time then I mix for 2 minutes until the mix is white (ish). A trick I saw via a craft site was to constantly switch which one I poured in first and to line the bottles up to check the levels left in the bottle were about the same.

I have only used the Aussie equivalent of Envirotex and have some actual Envirotex coming to have a play with. I expect they would be similar in the way they behave.

I am very pleased with the Evic. It is holding the curve beautifully but it will need some buffing of the fingerprints (too eager to attach) :p

Krisma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Australia
I was so happy with how the green panels turn out for the Evic AIO that I picked up another one. The panels are holding the curve beautifully.

I am still working on some new panels for a couple of billet boxes and a friend is sending me some sigelei 75 panels to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread