Alien 220 Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angryguy77

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
99% sure I'm going to go with the alien 220, but I'm not sure what kinds of batteries to buy. I know it takes an 18650, but that's all I know. Being this will be my first sub ohm device, I would like to vape it, not use it has a grenade. I'm not sure what amps, and all that technical stuff I should be looking for. Also, I don't know if it takes a button top or not.

I've looked on smok's site, and around the web but didn't see any recommendation.
Also, I have a goblin v2, should I be concerned about the tank I'm using as well?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
99% sure I'm going to go with the alien 220, but I'm not sure what kinds of batteries to buy. I know it takes an 18650, but that's all I know. Being this will be my first sub ohm device, I would like to vape it, not use it has a grenade. I'm not sure what amps, and all that technical stuff I should be looking for. Also, I don't know if it takes a button top or not.

I've looked on Smok's site, and around the web but didn't see any recommendation.
Also, I have a goblin v2, should I be concerned about the tank I'm using as well?
You want batteries with at least a 20 amp continuous discharge rating (e.g. Samsung 30q, Sony vtc6, LG hg2). Those will be good up to about 105 watts (staying within the cdr of the batteries). 25 amp batteries (Sony vtc5a) are good to about 130w and 30 amp batteries (low capacity, LG hb2/4/6) are good to about 155w. There simply aren't any batteries that can handle 220w within the cdr of the batteries (unless you choose a three-battery mod). Buy your batteries from a trusted vendor (not ebay) and marry them in pairs (that is to say, always use and charge them together).

The Goblin should be fine on the Alien.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

angryguy77

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
You want batteries with at least a 20 amp continuous discharge rating (e.g. Samsung 30q, Sony vtc6, LG hg2). Those will be good up to about 105 watts (staying within the cdr of the batteries). 25 amp batteries (Sony vtc5a) are good to about 130w and 30 amp batteries (low capacity, LG hb2/4/6) are good to about 155w. There simply aren't any batteries that can handle 220w within the cdr of the batteries (unless you choose a three-battery mod). Buy your batteries from a trusted vendor (not ebay) and marry them in pairs (that is to say, always use and charge them together).

Thanks! I usually order my batts from RTD Vapor. I don't think I'll go too high on the wattage....I'm not into cloud chasing or anything, I just want a good solid throat hit is all. I've had a provari mini for a couple years and want something a little different.

Reactions: Ed_C

angryguy77

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
btw, one last question for anyone who might know. Does the alien do well at drawing down the battery without sacrificing performance? What I mean is there a difference in the vape as your battery gets weaker? I've been spoiled in that area with the provari and this feature is pretty high on my list. I have seen people say it doesn't suffer from a weaker battery, but thought I'd check to see what people here have to say.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
btw, one last question for anyone who might know. Does the alien do well at drawing down the battery without sacrificing performance? What I mean is there a difference in the vape as your battery gets weaker? I've been spoiled in that area with the provari and this feature is pretty high on my list. I have seen people say it doesn't suffer from a weaker battery, but thought I'd check to see what people here have to say.

It's a regulated mod and maintains a steady current throughout the charge cycle of the battery. The only time you should have varying performance depending on battery drain would be in an unregulated, or mechanical mod. You'll have no such issues with the Alien in that regard. As to battery, and authentic name brand Samsung, LG, or Sony rated at 20A will be more than sufficient.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
It's a regulated mod and maintains a steady current throughout the charge cycle of the battery. The only time you should have varying performance depending on battery drain would be in an unregulated, or mechanical mod. You'll have no such issues with the Alien in that regard. As to battery, and authentic name brand Samsung, LG, or Sony rated at 20A will be more than sufficient.
At high wattages the performance will drop with decreasing battery charge. In Djlsb vapes' test the drop off is somewhere between 15-20% (on most mods). I'm assuming that this happens when the mod needs to boost the battery voltage and not so much when the required voltage is the same as or lower than the current battery voltage.

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
As already suggested, the Samsung 30Q, LG HG2 and Sony VTC6 ought to be good options for your desired mod. If this will be your first dual 18650 device, then be sure to always keep your batteries married, i.e. always keep then paired together (discharge together, recharge together).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I always get LG/Samsung
I believe I'm
Going to order more today lol IMR whatever website I get emails from them
Get flat top- lol
I have a friend who ordered like 6 all not flat top I was like omyyy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weird. LG and Samsung cells don't come in button tops. Not from the factory at least.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Be interested to hear some thoughts on the 25R button tops at LV. Pretty trusted vendor and I have never recieved a fake battery from them....

Samsung INR 18650 25R Battery (25R2 & 25R5) FLAT OR BUTTON TOP
I think they might add the tops themselves, or have someone do that for them. Not sure though. Button tops are really only needed in a handfull of consumer applications, and these batteries aren't manufactured for that.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I think they might add the tops themselves, or have someone do that for them. Not sure though. Button tops are really only needed in a handfull of consumer applications, and these batteries aren't manufactured for that.

Agreed. They were sent to me in error, but I am keeping them as I have a ton of older Provaris and extension tubes. A lot cheaper than AWs in any case and I refuse to use other 18650 rewraps like eFests.

Maybe @Mooch has some thoughts or can let us know which manufacturers he knows of do 18650 button tops..... :)

Reactions: KenD

Vesh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2017

Sorry I think I disagree here.

The aspire 1800 mah can safely vape at 35 amps according to Mooch's charts (and matching closely to aspire's claims of a 40 pulse).

Bear with me here.. the alien is a bit of an anomaly, as it discharges the batteries all the way to 2.8 v.. most mods are 3 or 3.2
So using mooches regulated mod calculations, at 220 watts, the alien would require 39.3 amps. (110/2.8).

This is too much for the aspires..
So i'm going to say, allowing for 5% tolerance, that with 2 aspire 1800 mah, (check they are genuine), one can safely vape in the alien at 190 watts.
This does not mean continuous, i mean 5 second pulls then a 5 second break at least..
For continuous vaping, as long draws as you want as often as you want, I rate it at 160 watts using the aspires (again allowing for ~5% innacuracy/variance).

With vtc5a's, 160 watts will be fine, or 140 continuous.

On a mod that cuts off at higher voltages, even higher wattage is fine.

in a dna 250, i'd feel perfectly safe with 3 vtc5a's at 250 watts. I would not use ANY battery less than that.

But we also now should talk about saying there are no batteries that can handle 220w.
LG HB6's (PINK!) can *almost* handle it, even at CDR which is 32.
What's more, they pulse to 40 safely.. (higher in reality, but we are using mooch's max safe vape amps chart, which takes into account the average high wattage vaper's usage habit). I would say here right now, you can vape at 220 watts, in an alien, with pink HB6 batteries. You will get terrible battery life, but you can do it.

I will also say, that you can vape at 2 hundred watts in an alien with samsung 20r and Sony VTC3 ;)

I follow mooch's every chart and test, and I have also purchased a lot of vtc5a's from a well respected ebayer from the aussie vape forums who does his own every extensive testing, and he thinks each vtc5a can safely vape at 85 or even 90 watts. ;)

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
All evolv dna 'chips' have input amp limits, meaning the chip will never draw more than xx amount of amps from the batteries.
Each 'chip' has a data sheet that can verify input amp limits.

The dna 250 will never draw more than 28a from the batteries.

Most semi decent regulated devices also have input amp limits though several do not state what they are.

Reactions: Vesh and KenD

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Sorry I think I disagree here.

The aspire 1800 mah can safely vape at 35 amps according to Mooch's charts (and matching closely to aspire's claims of a 40 pulse).

Bear with me here.. the alien is a bit of an anomaly, as it discharges the batteries all the way to 2.8 v.. most mods are 3 or 3.2
So using mooches regulated mod calculations, at 220 watts, the alien would require 39.3 amps. (110/2.8).

This is too much for the aspires..
So i'm going to say, allowing for 5% tolerance, that with 2 aspire 1800 mah, (check they are genuine), one can safely vape in the alien at 190 watts.
This does not mean continuous, i mean 5 second pulls then a 5 second break at least..
For continuous vaping, as long draws as you want as often as you want, I rate it at 160 watts using the aspires (again allowing for ~5% innacuracy/variance).

With vtc5a's, 160 watts will be fine, or 140 continuous.

On a mod that cuts off at higher voltages, even higher wattage is fine.

in a dna 250, i'd feel perfectly safe with 3 vtc5a's at 250 watts. I would not use ANY battery less than that.

But we also now should talk about saying there are no batteries that can handle 220w.
LG HB6's (PINK!) can *almost* handle it, even at CDR which is 32.
What's more, they pulse to 40 safely.. (higher in reality, but we are using mooch's max safe vape amps chart, which takes into account the average high wattage vaper's usage habit). I would say here right now, you can vape at 220 watts, in an alien, with pink HB6 batteries. You will get terrible battery life, but you can do it.

I will also say, that you can vape at 2 hundred watts in an alien with samsung 20r and Sony VTC3 ;)

I follow mooch's every chart and test, and I have also purchased a lot of vtc5a's from a well respected ebayer from the aussie vape forums who does his own every extensive testing, and he thinks each vtc5a can safely vape at 85 or even 90 watts. ;)

I will never recommend exceeding the cdr of batteries. The maximum vaping amps gives a buffer, but you need to remember that the cdr if batteries decreased as they age, and if pushed hard it decreases quicker. Also, you fail to account for the chip inefficiency (unknown value, I calculate with a 90% device efficiency, which might well be too generous). Pulse ratings are inherently dangerous. What if your mod fails and auto fires? The Aspires do indeed seem to perform well, but them being ICR chemistry gives me pause. Not saying that it's necessarily dangerous to use the mod and batteries in the way you exemplify, but when giving advice safety should be the number one concern. And, when there are three- and even four-battery mods available, why take the unnecessary risk? That escapes me.

Reactions: Eskie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread