Alien maker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bdubd

Nov 27, 2017
Cincinnati
I assume you mean MTL. MTL and an alien coil is kind of a contradiction in terms. I suppose it’s possible though.
No Maby I wasn't clear I have a file o computer, STL , for design engineer ect. Of 3d models that in witch I have had printed guids for either size 24 26 28 Gage wire to stay parallel to each other as I clapton.

Bdubd

Nov 27, 2017
Cincinnati
Here is a pic of 3d printed version

Attachments

• IMG_20180217_043355.jpg
    IMG_20180217_043355.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hhhmmm... How many cores? I'd think a couple of right-diameter holes could be bored just next to one another in any convenient piece of bar stock you happened to have laying around with nothing more than a drill press. Since the holes would be separate, you'd have to move the slide a bit farther away from the wire wrap; how far depending on the distance between the holes, relative to the diameter. If you wanted a single slit, however wide it might have to be to accommodate your cores, that would require micromachining if you have to have it in metal. Unless you happen to have a mill in your back pocket (could be done on a lathe with a pot chuck, I think, as well), I'd suggest you have it made up in titanium or something else very hard, at least chrome-moly (4340, Rockwell B100 or 8620 Chrome Nickel Moly, Rockwell B201), so you don't have to pay for it more than once. Softer materials-- a 360 grade free machining brass would be easy to work but only has a Rockwell hardness of B78-- would wear over time as you pulled the wire through them. That kind of machine work is not cheap.

It would require you to change your freehand wrapping style, but a much cheaper option you could make yourself would be something along the lines of a beading loom. Google it, if you don't know what one is. For a comb you could use something like a hacksaw blade, or a fine-tooth wood blade. Invent some way to stand them up on edge, string your cores tightly between them, and wrap away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread