All about mechanical mods, a good read for newbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbojar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Largo, Florida
I know many of us get asked quite frequently "what is a mechanical mod" or "what is the defference between an electronic cigarette or APV vs. a mechanical mod" and in the beginning it can get confusing keeping up with all of the terminology and such so here is a fairly indepth mechanical mod article that breaks it down pretty much from soup to nuts. It explains the chemical make ups and differences in batteries and why it is important to know, different metals and their conductivity and how it all relates to cotact points and so on, and of course safe practices. I'm sure there are some things that it may have missed, but it is still a good reference for newbies or even vets just getting into mechanical mods.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It looked OK until I got to the battery information. They are so weak on battery info, it's dangerous.

From the site:

"ICR batteries come in two forms, protected and unprotected. Though unprotected batteries may be used in electronic PVs due to their protective circuitry, they should never be used in a mechanical mod.

Protected ICR batteries with a C rating of 2 amps or more provide enough protection against over-discharging and shorts to be considered safe enough for use in mechanical mods."

Unprotected ICR batteries are not considered safe for any PV.

What is a C rating of 2 amps? A C rating of 2 is not enough to make a battery safe for use in a mech mod. A max discharge of 2 amps is too low.

I would not send anyone to this site.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I also found some issues with the battery info offered:

"Protected Batteries:
ICR batteries come in two forms, protected and unprotected. Though unprotected batteries may be used in electronic PVs due to their protective circuitry, they should never be used in a mechanical mod.

Protected ICR batteries with a C rating of 2 amps or more provide enough protection against over-discharging and shorts to be considered safe enough for use in mechanical mods.

IMR Batteries:
IMR batteries have a safer chemical composition than protected and unprotected ICR batteries and are often the most recommended option by mod manufacturers, vendors, and the vaping community in general, however they are still unprotected, they simply heat up at a much slower rate and are much less combustible. IMR batteries can also support higher discharge rates than ICR batteries making them a better choice for lower resistance coils in mechanical mods, and although ICRs have increased storage capacities (mAh), they may not always be able to deliver the amps needed to provide enough power to the mod. An IMR battery with a safety fuse is the overall best choice for mechanical mods.

Unprotected Batteries:
Unprotected ICR batteries have no layers of protection whatsoever so they are known to stress more easily than IMR batteries, and can overheat and catch fire much faster than an IMR battery."

:danger: Unprotected ICR batteries should never be used in any mod, mechanical or regulated. I would have preferred additional information to have been added in the other part that I have in the bold red letters. 2+ amps is acceptable for normal over the counter atomizers such as clearomizers or cartomizers. However...

Since the current popularity of mechanicals is because the majority of owners are using RBA's and RDA's on them, it's important to know that protected ICR batteries are completely insufficient for this application. This application requires IMR high drain batteries, and using sub-ohm coils requires special IMR batteries that have a 20 amp continuous discharge rate. Using a Kick in a mechanical is also popular, and also requires the use of a high drain IMR.

At this point in time, there really is no reason to use a protected ICR battery for any mod for any reason, when IMR or hybrid batteries are a much safer choice. Many regulated mods will not accept a protected ICR, and most require a high drain battery for their buck boost processor circuit.

- http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

- Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected?

- Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

For these critical ommisions, I also would not recommend this article. :nah:

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread