Status
Not open for further replies.

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
Note: Noalox is not recommended for Silver, Gold, or Copper contacts.
I am constantly reading posts about voltage drop between different mechanical mods and looking at pics and videos I have notice a common problem, NO NOALOX!!!
Its really simple, metals oxidize especially when you pass a current between two separate pieces, even more so if the two pieces are different types of metal.
The solution, take the mod apart, clean all contact point with isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol, that stuff is mostly water)
put a small dab of Noalox on all threaded parts, both battery contact points, and any other metal to metal contact points.
The Noalox will improve conductivity, and cut down on oxidation.
This used to be a common practice when there were only a small number of mechs available, but for some reason this common maintenance seems to have been forgotten, even by the mod makers, and reviewers.
:vapor:

Last edited:

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
I use a copper based paste, noalox is for aluminum.

accounting for the sag in many of todays batteries is the bigger problem then voltage drop of the mod.
Yes Noalox is made for aluminum, but with its anti-oxidant properties, and zinc particles it works well for other metals as well.
As far as battery sag, theres nothing to fix that, I was only focusing on the voltage drop of the mod.
Also everyone forgets, the batteries we use are 3.7 volt cells, while they do charge to 4.2, they quickly drop off and hold around 3.7 for a while before dropping further (yes I have tested this with a load simulator circuit)

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
NoAlOx ---> No Aluminum Oxide

As mentioned, it is to prevent oxidation. It does NOT improve conductivity. If anything, it can hurt conductivity. Zinc is actually a poor conductor and is only in the compound to be the sacrificial anode. The zinc particles can prevent the contacts from making full contact with each other, meaning higher contact resistance.

Regular maintenance with good cleaner/protector (Brasso, NeverDull, etc) is best for proper conduction.

Last edited:

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
NoAlOx ---> No Aluminum Oxide

As mentioned, it is to prevent oxidation. It does NOT improve conductivity. If anything, it can hurt conductivity. Zinc is actually a poor conductor and is only in the compound to be the sacrificial anode. The zinc particles can prevent the contacts from making full contact with each other, meaning higher contact resistance.

Regular maintenance with good cleaner/protector (Brasso, NeverDull, etc) is best for proper conduction.
In my experiance with mechs Noalox does improve conductivity, also puresmoker mechs came with Noalox, and Reos come with it as well, in fact a Reo will miss fire or not fire at all with out it, that I know first hand.
Also most mechs have worse conductivity than zinc as seen in this chart
20516.jpg

A lot of mechs are stainless steel which is a really poor conductor.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
In my experiance with mechs Noalox does improve conductivity, also puresmoker mechs came with Noalox, and Reos come with it as well, in fact a Reo will miss fire or not fire at all with out it, that I know first hand.

When I first got it I checked voltage drop in my K100 with and without Noalox on all contact surfaces including the battery and there was no difference to 2 decimal points. On Reo's miss-firing because of lack of Noalox, I call BS. Not trying to give you a hard time here, but what you're saying makes no sense to me.

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX

Experience and observations can be subjective, misleading, influenced, and biased. Physics cannot.

Also most mechs have worse conductivity than zinc as seen in this chart
20516.jpg

A lot of mechs are stainless steel which is a really poor conductor.

Please read the last paragraph of the article where you found that chart. Conductivity is proportional to cross-sectional area. Even through Stainless Steel is a poor conductor, you can achieve the same performance as copper by increasing the cross-sectional area (which is exactly what the right side of the image is illustrating). So for large Stainless Steel tubes, there is little effect on conductivity due to their size. Nobody (in their right mind) uses SS for pins and contacts anymore.

Brass (30% Zn) and Zinc (Pure) do have similar conductivity, and brass is very popular choice for contacts. The problem with using Noalox is that is puts the zinc particles BETWEEN the brass surfaces. So instead of getting clean (and maximum) surface contact (Brass||Brass), you get an additional point of contact resistance (Brass||Zinc||Brass)and reduced contact area (remember how area affects conductivity). Even further, the Zinc is sacrificial. Meaning that is will oxidize before the surface that it is applied to. Zinc Oxide is a semiconductor and, by definition, a poor conductor. Much, much, worse than is original form.

As I type this, I'm vaping on a 100% brass mod with a .13V drop @ 1.0Ω. No amount of Noalox is going to improve that. In fact, the only thing that would improve that is less zinc. There is no replacement for preventive maintenance.

Last edited:

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
When I first got it I checked voltage drop in my K100 with and without Noalox on all contact surfaces including the battery and there was no difference to 2 decimal points. On Reo's miss-firing because of lack of Noalox, I call BS. Not trying to give you a hard time here, but what you're saying makes no sense to me.
I know it makes no sense, but it can and does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread