Almost 1 week

Status
Not open for further replies.

madqatter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 14, 2013
Virginia
I've been a smoker almost 15 years. I started at about four cigarettes a day and my peak (for the past few years) has been about ten cigarettes a day.

I know that won't seem like much to many smokers and former smokers, but it really is an addiction. I have quit cold a few times, but never for longer than a couple of months and usually no more than a week or two. For me, I think the addiction is at least equal parts nicotine and ritual, and it's the ritual of the thing that always brought me back to it.

Part of it is what might be called "micro" ritual: the act itself. Pulling out a cig, sniffing it, pulling out the lighter, lighting up, etc.

But part of it is the "macro" ritual: things like when, where, how I would smoke. Revising something I'm writing? Print out the pages and take them outside with a cigarette. Need a momentary stretch while watching TV and knitting? Take a book outside with a cigarette for a few minutes. Long drive in the car? Pause occasionally for a smoke. Late night phone call? Great time for a smoke. Etc.

I could drop the nicotine. I knew I could. And I could drop the micro ritual, though it was difficult. But dropping the macro ritual was a BEAR. Researching and writing for hours on end without smoke breaks for revision? Revising at my desk? Long car drives without cigarettes? Impossible....

Last Saturday, on a whim, with absolutely no intention of quitting smoking, I bought an njoy cigalike at the convenience store. I also had a fresh pack. I figured I'd kind of alternate a bit, see what it was like.

By Sunday night I was thinking: What if I just don't get any more cigarettes when I run out? Try a few more of these ecigs? I bought a Blu for when the NJoy died.

By Monday I was actively researching non-disposables. If I'm going to quit smoking (notice the transition!) disposables won't cut it long-term. At first I was looking at the Blu and Green Smoke style kits, but they kind of bothered me. I've never liked the trash smoking produces, and even the nondisposable cigalikes didn't seem like that much of an improvement. Then I found some videos about PVs. I wanted one. I started comparing starter kits.

By Tuesday I had a list of promising looking starters. I took the list to a couple of local stores, which did carry starters but didn't carry anything on my list. I settled for chatting with the employees to figure out who might become the most helpful and ordered a 2 Evod starter kit online. (It seemed to get decent reviews as a starter and I liked that it was possible to self-recycle the atomizer heads. I hope this was a good bet.)

I spent my free time on Wednesday and Thursday planning my "accessories." They're not strictly necessary, of course, but I felt that making the switch more even more fun would help reinforce my plan. I've lined a mint tin with foam to convert it into a pocket carrying box, kind of like a cig hard pack. I found a good cigar box to keep my juice in. I chose a little notebook in which I can review juices (something I do when reviewing beers), keeping track of what I like and don't. Yeah, I'm nerdy/goofy like that. But, like I said, I think adding some fun for myself will help reinforce my plan to quit.

Today I am still nursing the Blu, but the Evods have arrived and are charging. I have a few juices to try. I'm psyched to get started!

It's Friday and I have not had a cigarette since Sunday. I'm not saying I never will again, but things are looking good....

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Welcome Madqatter and congratulations. I still feel proud when I remember I don't smoke anymore. My journey started differently than yours, but until you have an cigarette, you are no longer a smoker either.

Go out and buy yourself a new knitting pattern, because not smoking needs to be celebrated.

Keep reading the ECF, keep researching and you can do it - you might even make a few new friends too. :toast:

Kenji

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
Ca
Welcome to ECF, thats great new. Dont force yourself just go with the flow. I know I started with just vaping at work and smoking at home. Then slowly the urges went away and I started to enjoy vaping for the thoat hit and flavor. I say if you want a good decent vape and dont want to spend that much. You can not go wrong with an ego twist plus a evod or kanger pro. If you want a little bit more power then go with a vamo or Svd. Vape on buddy

JamezC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Arkansas
Just go at your own pace until your ready. I started vaping around 3-4 months ago but I still smoked during most of that time, then I just decided one day that I just wanted to vape all day without cigarettes. I agree though, cigarettes are very ritualistic, like you mentioned. Occasionally I still get a random cravings to light up a cig but then I just take a couple vapes instead and forget all about it :)

Wes F.

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Guam
Congratulations! I know exactly what you mean about it being a ritual. I smoked for 18 years, started when I was very young. Since getting older, I've tried to quit hundreds of times but it only lasts so long. The act of smoking isn't about the nicotine for me, it's more like a breathing exercise, a form of meditation. Since I found a good PV alternative to smoking I have not smoked for a month. Not even during long, drawn out, conversations with my mother that make me want to hammer an ice pick into my ear. Lol. Good luck!!

wilsonlab

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
New York
www.itcvapes.com
OP- you sound just like me a few months ago. I got a blu and never bought a pack of cigarettes again. Denying a real cig was tough when all I had was a menthol blue. I quickly ordered a smokeless image volt battery and some cartomizers, again menthol because that is what I smoked. MUCH better! Quitting was looking good. Then I found this forum and ordered myself an itaste digital variable voltage/wattage battery with a kanger pro tank II and gave a fruit flavor a try. WOW!! The flavor was amazing. 3 days after I went to the fruit flavors a friend gave me a drag of his menthol cig. It was DISGUSTING!! Seriously if I wanted to smoke one I couldn't. Such a life changer. Also the vapor clouds and pure enjoyment you can get from a tank system is way worth it! You're going to love it. Give the pro tank II a try if the evods aren't your favorite it's such a good tank!

RedNBlack

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
NE Georgia USA
Folks here are awesome. So glad I joined ECF. I think I will learn a lot.

I am curious: what's the probation period for noobs before we can start using a signature? I want a spiffy "I quit smoking" banner. :)

Welcome madqatter and congrats. Glad you joined us on the "vape ride" and the ECF.
Think it takes 15 posts, then you can generate a sigbanner under forum actions.
Sure some of the vets will post the correct info....:)

wiizy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 12, 2013
United States
you made my night you're hilarious and absolutely correct about the breathing and meditation
Congratulations! I know exactly what you mean about it being a ritual. I smoked for 18 years, started when I was very young. Since getting older, I've tried to quit hundreds of times but it only lasts so long. The act of smoking isn't about the nicotine for me, it's more like a breathing exercise, a form of meditation. Since I found a good PV alternative to smoking I have not smoked for a month. Not even during long, drawn out, conversations with my mother that make me want to hammer an ice pick into my ear. Lol. Good luck!!

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Folks here are awesome. So glad I joined ECF. I think I will learn a lot.

I am curious: what's the probation period for noobs before we can start using a signature? I want a spiffy "I quit smoking" banner. :)

Welcome madqatter and congrats. Glad you joined us on the "vape ride" and the ECF.
Think it takes 15 posts, then you can generate a sigbanner under forum actions.
Sure some of the vets will post the correct info....:)

You are correct RedNBlack....

Here are some more milestones:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...262-new-members-how-many-posts-do-i-need.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread