Not open for further replies.

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Although this article was written by David T. Sweanor, Senior Legal Counsel back in January 2003, it contains a mindset and reading that deserves a second look in our current demise for a base of argument:

Link: Alternative Nicotine Delivery as a Harm-Reduction Strategy - Non-Smokers' Rights Association

I was going to pull from it parts of particular interest, but after going through it I decided it ALL was of interest and would make too large of a post in the end.

So, have a read and see if you also, as I do, feel this way of intelligent thought would no doubt be a more reasonable way of approach than to simply disallow, cart blanche, an alternative nicotine delivery device without considering the positive aspects it would offer society.

VapeOn,
Greg

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Wow. What an essay. That's the most intelligent, cogent argument I've read anywhere, and it certainly applies to electronic cigarettes.

The call for new rules on the nicotine addiction playing field is one that should be heard at the top, because that's the only place change could initiate. This is the one article President Obama should read (he should stay FAR away from this forum!). A former smoker, he would understand all of the implications of new nicotine delivery systems.

Thanks for finding this. Riddle80, Lacey, KDMickey -- read this and use the arguments found here. This is excellent, correct in where we are and what needs to be done.

Eclectic_Current

Mar 30, 2009
Montreal
The article (Link posted by SmokumChevy) although written in 2003, dates from the years '95-'97 in terms of content and so regulations might have changed but this interesting statement is found in the 5.th to last paragraph ... (bold emphasis is mine):

"... Whereas tobacco companies can market new or changed nicotine delivery products with minimal constraints, pharmaceutical companies can only market their nicotine products after years of evaluation, necessary approvals, and with prescribed limits on the marketing of the products. ..."

If this (in bold) is still true, then maybe the quickest path to legal access to eCigs is to actively lobby and persuade some tobacco company to be first out of the gate with unconstrained Alternative Nicotine Delivery in the form of eCigs. What's the FDA or Health Canada going to say to this tobacco company when they are already selling the obviously much more dangerous analogs cigs ?

I know that sounds a little crazy but Govs are not going to slap sin taxes on eCigs so these should be cheaper the exorbitantly priced analog cigs. While it might seem that such a tobacco company is competing with itself or undermining its own sales, an argument might be made that by offering eCigs to its clients, such company would in effect be shielding itself from increasing numbers of liability claims associated with analog cigs usage. Lawsuit claimants would no longer be able to argue that their nicotine addiction forced them to smoke analogs if eCigs are readily available. The available of eCigs would act as a liability shield maybe ...

Just thinking out loud ( and a little desperately outside the box) here :p

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That pesky Waxman bill handing authority over tobacco to the FDA will change things, but right now, Philip Morris could introduce a new cigarette tomorrow without any studies or tests or regulatory hoops.

But ...

If it wants to introduce its Aria nicotine delivery device, using liquid much like our e-cig, it must jump through all the pharmacological hoops involving new drugs -- expensive and time-consuming.

This article is in no way out of date -- at this time. The Waxman bill is doom for just about everything I hold dear in the way of nicotine ...

mmmvaping

Moved On
Apr 2, 2009
very interesting artical there. there are to many proplems with our governement. I think to much governementi in our lives is like a cancer that can't be cured. Have you guys read or did the petition about the ecigs on the top of the page. there are already 2000 plus people who have thried the alternitive ( patches, gum and pills...ect) and failed:confused:. But the ecig was the only alternitive that works. How can that be?:shock: It didn't go through clinical trials and observation testing. Yet it meets and adresses all the adictive behaviors of tabbaco smoking.8-o this should tell you that if the FDA can allow pills that cure your diarea problems but can cause harmful side effects such as bleading of the colon, cause you not to take a dump for a week:evil:, and worse case death.:mad:...then i think they can allow a better way to get nicotine that s safer than tabacco ( cant deny that) and harmless to everybody else who doesnt smoke........mybe Im being a little protective of my ecig...........:p

jerimiah797

Unregistered Supplier
Feb 6, 2009
Here's the email for "60 Minutes Investigates" for news story suggestions. Perhaps someone more eloquent than I am can send them a suggestion for a story about e-cigs, with particular emphasis placed on interviewing Mr. Sweanor, Rep. Stearns, Dr. Nitzkin, etc, and real-life stories about all the success stories of the ex-smoker/new vapers out there...

investigates@cbsnews.com

puff-puff-pass

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Alberta
Here's the email for "60 Minutes Investigates" for news story suggestions. Perhaps someone more eloquent than I am can send them a suggestion for a story about e-cigs, with particular emphasis placed on interviewing Mr. Sweanor, Rep. Stearns, Dr. Nitzkin, etc, and real-life stories about all the success stories of the ex-smoker/new vapers out there...

investigates@cbsnews.com

To Whom it may concern,

Over the recent weeks there has been alot of local, national and international news regarding the "electronic cigarette" (aka "e-cig"). Most of the stories have been produced by local reporters that can only reach a limited market. Unfortunately, there is a large portion of the public that are unaware of the existence of these devices, and unaware of the potential reduction of tobacco harm via use of these devices as compared to smoking traditional cigarettes (aka "analogs").

More recently, both the FDA and Health Canada have imposed regulations on the sale and importation of these devices and the liquids designed for their (e-cigs) use. As a consumer/user of this style of device, I am shocked and appauled that governing bodies, both Canadian and American, have refused to acknowledge that these devices may be a great instrument in reducing harm and disease caused by traditional cigarettes. They have not reported the full spectrum of differences between tobacco cigarettes and "e-cigs", such as chemical content of the inhaled product, ingredients of the product, or the hazards presented to by-standers.

Some portions specialty groups have made public comment that completely disapprove of the "e-cig." Comments by the <<<INSERT ORGANIZATION NAME HERE>>> were quoted as saying <<<INSERT NEGATIVE COMMENT ABOUT ECIGS HERE>>>. Generally such comments fail to educate the audience about <<<INSERT CONTRASTING ECIG BENEFIT HERE>>>. It is unfortunate that "e-cig" users do not have a registered organization. We (users) currently lack a "unified voice" to be heard. I firmly believe that if "Joe Public" was given the opportunity to be made fully aware of what "e-cigs" are, and why they are being accepted by thousands of users around the world, many many people would be more accepting, even encouraging these devices.

I hope that you will accept my request to produce a focused, unbiased, and informative report about these unique devices. If you are so willing, I may be able to provide you with some contact information regarding some well-respected advocates of "e-cigs." I would also wish to present to you the results of clinical studies that were conducted on this product (with the manufacturers permission), and the uncensored facts as to how "e-cigs" and tobacco cigarettes compare.

Sincerely yours,

SOMEONES NAME HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread