Alternative wicking material other than mash, silica wick, cotton ,etc = SILK..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BladeZ

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Dortmund, Germany
OK I find this quite ridiculous but have anyone actually try using SILK on their rba/rda..?

We know very well that SILK is better than cotton in many ways, and obviously it is more expensive.. But when in terms of wicking can it be better..? It just suddenly comes to my mind when I saw my mom cleaning her face with SILK ball.. The absorbtion of the liquid is rather good, but I have yet tried to heat it with my micro coil..

So before I actually try it, maybe I should ask you guys for opinion..

P.S. the SILK i currenly posses is 100% organic.. We get it directly from China factory during my tour there..

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Rayon..? Wow.. Very interesting.. I'm gonna try it later.. But I think I'm gonna try the silk first.. Will keep u guys updated..

Thanks for the rayon wick info btw.. Very useful info..

Have you researched what happens to silk when it burns (what chemicals it puts out) and if that is safe to inhale? Sooner or later you're going to have a dry hit and it will degrade.

Having said that, I'm very interested in your results if you do try it. A picture of your setup in the RDA would be great too :thumb:

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
I'm sold on Rayon ("cellucotton") as well after three days of heavy experimentation. With my blood orange juice and my typical .4 ohm builds, regular cotton turns dark in color after only one tankful in a 3D. The Rayon has not darkened even a little - still white and pristine!

The taste is clean as well. Recommend.

BladeZ

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Dortmund, Germany
Rayon wicking I find it very promising but for me in Indonesia is kinda difficult to get it.. Unless it is the tampon that people are talking about, then it's gonna be easy..

However is recommended to use the actually tampon for wicking..?

I will post up the result on silk wicking next week.. Gonna try it once I get back to Indonesia.. Currently I'm overseas without e-cig.. Damn.. I already miss vaping.. Haha..

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Okay. I'm looking for other materials now. I tried cotton....it's not for me what else I got for options....
I.might just not be doing it right

If you haven't been pleased with cotton, you haven't done it right. Likely to much.
Once you master it your like OMG this is nice. Then you start on hmmm.......what might be even better.

Does not matter how good any of it is unless you can use it properly.:2c:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Has anyone experimented with hemp wick?

Yes. Hemp fiber falls into the (my) "top four" non-ceramic/metallic wicking materials ... along with rayon, ramie and cotton.

There are several threads on it... this one being perhaps the best, and certainly the longest running.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
For me ... All I use now is cotton yarn

Pull a double strand of it through the coil with a piece of wire. Of course, the coil needs to have a wide enough inside diameter to accept the double strand of the yarn ... I use a 3/32" (2.4mm) rod when making the coil. The yarn fits nicely through the coil this size.

Wick2.jpg

I know ... This coil is in need of replacing :)
Wick4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread