Am I wrong to feel this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I posted here...

So yesterday, I started on my new batch of mint-tobacco (I DIY my own juice), only instead of my normal 18mg nicotine, I've reduced it to 12mg. When I get thru this batch of 12mg base, I will go to 6 or 8mg, and eventually to zero.

Ultimately I will quit vaping. Why? Because I have to.

I didn't feel so bad about quitting analogs, I understood the societal pressures, it's bad for me. It's bad for others who unwantingly are exposed to my second-hand smoke, and I wasn't delusional enough to convince myself that secondhand was truly avoidable.. I get secondhand now myself when walking near anyone smoking, it is unavoidable. So yeah, I get it.

I've been very happy vaping. I used to be somewhat excited about it, and when I started DIY'ing, I had a lot of fun playing with exotic flavors and mixes. I saw a world without traditional cigarettes, and where vaping became a much more prolific option, and with so many more flavor choices and whatnot. I found a community that actually did a decent job policing itself, something relatively unheard of in american business.

Then I found the naysayers. The FDA is chomping at the bit to ban it, the big pharma companies are against it because they lose their market share on patches and gum and chantix (got help anyone who ingests that nightmare)... Big tobacco can't compete, and doesn't want to get on board.. ok whatever.

But the worst is the insurance companies. They got on board alright. Changed "smoking" medical terms to "nicotine use".

I've been trying to buy a life insurance policy, but that one word haunts me. What should be a $30/month policy for a decent policy becomes $125, and slightly out of my budget (I actually downgraded the policy significantly to get it to that price). My health insurance is more too, a LOT more. The new ACA rules will actually cause a spike in my premiums on my next open enrollment if I show nicotine in my system. It's a damn sham, a shakedown. Like charging teens more for car insurance when statistics clearly show they aren't half as bad drivers as people in their 40's (it's true!).

So then factor in the people who don't smoke and never did. Co-workers, family, friends, who mention it every time you try to vape- they still call it "Smoking" with a nasty and sarcastic slant. There are the ones who question me on it's safety, asking me how do I REALLY KNOW? Do I have a degree in science and chemistry? I didn't think so. Arguing with people about it is futile, as everyone now argues with that "fox news" logic where rationality leaves the room the moment the discussion started.

So yeah, I'm not thrilled, and writing this is simply me venting about being forced (again) to quit something, not because *I* want to, but because society is pushing me to.

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States

So yesterday, I started on my new batch of mint-tobacco (I DIY my own juice), only instead of my normal 18mg nicotine, I've reduced it to 12mg. When I get thru this batch of 12mg base, I will go to 6 or 8mg, and eventually to zero.

I didn't feel so bad about quitting analogs, I understood the societal pressures, it's bad for me. It's bad for others who unwantingly are exposed to my second-hand smoke, and I wasn't delusional enough to convince myself that secondhand was truly avoidable.. I get secondhand now myself when walking near anyone smoking, it is unavoidable. So yeah, I get it.

I've been very happy vaping. I used to be somewhat excited about it, and when I started DIY'ing, I had a lot of fun playing with exotic flavors and mixes. I saw a world without traditional cigarettes, and where vaping became a much more prolific option, and with so many more flavor choices and whatnot. I found a community that actually did a decent job policing itself, something relatively unheard of in american business.

Then I found the naysayers. The FDA is chomping at the bit to ban it, the big pharma companies are against it because they lose their market share on patches and gum and chantix (got help anyone who ingests that nightmare)... Big tobacco can't compete, and doesn't want to get on board.. ok whatever.

But the worst is the insurance companies. They got on board alright. Changed "smoking" medical terms to "nicotine use".

I've been trying to buy a life insurance policy, but that one word haunts me. What should be a $30/month policy for a decent policy becomes $125, and slightly out of my budget (I actually downgraded the policy significantly to get it to that price). My health insurance is more too, a LOT more. The new ACA rules will actually cause a spike in my premiums on my next open enrollment if I show nicotine in my system. It's a damn sham, a shakedown. Like charging teens more for car insurance when statistics clearly show they aren't half as bad drivers as people in their 40's (it's true!).

So then factor in the people who don't smoke and never did. Co-workers, family, friends, who mention it every time you try to vape- they still call it "Smoking" with a nasty and sarcastic slant. There are the ones who question me on it's safety, asking me how do I REALLY KNOW? Do I have a degree in science and chemistry? I didn't think so. Arguing with people about it is futile, as everyone now argues with that "fox news" logic where rationality leaves the room the moment the discussion started.

So yeah, I'm not thrilled, and writing this is simply me venting about being forced (again) to quit something, not because *I* want to, but because society is pushing me to.
you can always get back into vaping if you need too

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014

People will always find something to judge, it makes them feel better about themselves. I feel better not caring what they think..... :D

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
Just over a month ago, I was spending more than $125 per month on cigarettes. I liked to smoke and I was willing to pay. I had been smoking for 35 years. I used to smoke at my desk at work, not to mention in the smoking sections of restaurants, buses, and planes. I've been sporadically angry at the chip-away restrictions that had put me outside in the weather, even at hotels in many cities...but I'd gotten over that. Every so often, someone would ask why a smart guy like me was still smoking. I didn't argue. I'd just say "because I want to."

Many curious people will want to talk about vaping, or maybe just level their opinions. That's fine. If I feel like playing along, I'll tell them what I know. If I tire of the discussion, I can say with confidence, "it's better than smoking." If the debate persists beyond that, I'll wrap it up with, "because I like it," then stick my PV in my pocket and walk away.

I'll pay to do the things I like. If it's not fair, well, that's life all over the place...but I still want to enjoy myself while it lasts. It may last a little longer than before, now, and thinking that always gives me a boost. Stress kills too, you know; don't let it grind you down. Don't stop enjoying yourself.

issy

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Between Timid and Timbuktu
I understand where you are coming from, Kabooma. The overall cost of vaping is outweighing the benefits for you, and it takes a brave person to look in the mirror and re-assess themselves. Kudos. I have already decided that I want to lower my nicotine intake as well as my tolerance on it...i just had a moment the other day where I decided I didn't like walking around with my "fix" in my hand all day, like I currently do. I just never thought about it - I wasn't smoking, hoo-ray! But I don't want to always need my PV. I'd like to put it down for an entire shift at work, and just pull it out of my purse on the drive home or something. Everyone has to find their own level of comfort, and being honest with yourself is where it starts :toast:

That's a complete shame. Hopefully, after all the regulation fallout and a few studies are conducted, people start to see the difference between smoking and vaping. It's so sad because vaping is saving lives. First they criticized us for smoking and told us how unhealthy it is. Now they're same the same nonsense all over again about vaping.

Anyway, instead of giving up vaping altogether you could always switch to 0mg nicotine juice. That way you wouldn't be considered a "nicotine user" and could still enjoy the flavor and sensation of vaping. I don't know, just a though. Good luck though.

Kabooma

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2013
Eastern PA
Anyway, instead of giving up vaping altogether you could always switch to 0mg nicotine juice. That way you wouldn't be considered a "nicotine user" and could still enjoy the flavor and sensation of vaping. I don't know, just a though. Good luck though.

That's pretty much my plan. It really sucks that I'm being forced to simply by proxy of my wallet (life insurance pricing), and the primary reason I'm doing this- not because I want to, but because private industry is forcing me to.

And yeah, I will remember this on voting day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread