Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I just recently received the American Weigh Scale (AWS) LB-501 scale.

Have not yet used it to make ejuice yet but I was testing it out and found that when I turn the backlight on, it adds 0.15g to 0.20g to the weight even with nothing on the scale. When I turn the light off, it goes back to "normal". So basically the light switch adds weight when it's in the on position.

Is this normal or have I received a defective scale?

Reactions: stols001

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
    Feb 1, 2012
    Irwin, Pennsylvania
    I just tried mine in Battery mode and it remained at 0.0g when the blue button was depressed for the back lite. I cycled a couple of times with no change. This was without the bowl. I guessing you already did the calibration with the two (2) 200g weights. Would be interesting if you do the calibration with the back lite on to see if it zero's out. Other than that try using the AC adapter, guessing you did that already also. ?????

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I just recently received the American Weigh Scale (AWS) LB-501 scale.

Have not yet used it to make ejuice yet but I was testing it out and found that when I turn the backlight on, it adds 0.15g to 0.20g to the weight even with nothing on the scale. When I turn the light off, it goes back to "normal". So basically the light switch adds weight when it's in the on position.

Ummm....not sure how that could be normal. I'd call it defective for sure. You could reset with tare, but I don't think you should have to do that.

I use this one. I actually got it a few years ago to weigh a bunch of gold jewelry I'd given the wife through the years, to make sure I was treated right on a trade-in. Didn't even use it for mixing until about a year ago, but works great and super simple.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ascher-Sc/dp/B01IXHSPDK
    upload_2020-5-28_15-6-50.png

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Yes, I am using AC power adapter. But I tried it with the batteries with the same results.

I tried calibrating it with the backlight OFF, and this results in a +.15-.20g increase when I turn the light ON.

I tried calibrating it with the backlight ON, and this results in a -.15-.20g decrease when I turn the light OFF.

Tried this both in AC and battery mode and the results are the same. I guess I got a defective scale. I could live with it, but no telling what else is going to break. In fact, since I posted this, the backlight button is kinda wonky now. I have to press it harder than I did before in order to turn the light on or off.

• Agree
    Reactions: Seiggy

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Well I got a return label and I'm off to drop it off at a near-by UPS drop box.

What I found while repacking it to return was that there is a security label that was sliced by someone else and the piece of tape holding the box shut was obviously not done at a factory. Due to this, I believe I was sold a defective return from Amazon seller Audiovideodirect.

If I do buy this model again, it won't be from that seller. Not sure what I'm going to buy next.

I tape the box up in such a way that if they were to resell it again the new buyer would immediately get a good hint that it's not a new unit. ;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I just got my AWS LB-501 out and turned it on to see if mine did that. With and without the backlight on it reads 0.00. I've never used batteries in mine, only AC so my battery holders are empty. Mine is probably 7 or more years old. I bought it from Amazon when I first started DIY years ago.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I just got back from the UPS drop box. Wheeew, the package just fit. If it were 1mm thicker I would have had to go to UPS miles away.

Now to wait for the refund.

I use my LB-501 near a kitchen window where the LCD screen gets enough light. I had never turned on the backlight, but I liked it so much when I tried it a while ago that it will be used often. The blue backlight is good for contrast.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Ummm....not sure how that could be normal. I'd call it defective for sure. You could reset with tare, but I don't think you should have to do that.

I use this one. I actually got it a few years ago to weigh a bunch of gold jewelry I'd given the wife through the years, to make sure I was treated right on a trade-in. Didn't even use it for mixing until about a year ago, but works great and super simple.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ascher-Sc/dp/B01IXHSPDK
    View attachment 887735

I checked that scale out and unfortunately it only goes to 200g. I want to be able to mix 250ml at a time and 50/50 ejuice weighs about 290g.

I think I'm going to try the LB501 again but from a different seller. But I still haven't made up my mind.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Skip to 16:51

BTW - I use the funnel the whole time, and keep my PG and VG in smaller bottles with yorker spouts. Also, I start with the nic first. If that gets messed up, then I can catch myself and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I checked that scale out and unfortunately it only goes to 200g. I want to be able to mix 250ml at a time and 50/50 ejuice weighs about 290g.

I think I'm going to try the LB501 again but from a different seller. But I still haven't made up my mind.
    Yeah, I definitely get that, and noticed after I posted. I only mix a 30ml bottle at a time. I only go thru ~2ml a day, so it's no big deal to me, and like I said, I bought it for something else. If I'd have known at the time I'd use it for mixing, I probably would've gotten a higher capacity scale myself. But not one that senses the weight of back-lighting, though. ;)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If I'd have known at the time I'd use it for mixing, I probably would've gotten a higher capacity scale myself. But not one that senses the weight of back-lighting, though. ;)

LOL. I hear ya. The LB-501 is a pretty popular scale among DIYers, and given the supposed 10 year warranty I took the plunge but I got bit.

But I'm feeling confident that I got a bad unit from a bad seller who sold me a return that was returned for a defect. There are a few other sellers selling at about he same price so one of them has to be a good seller.

So I think I might bite again and hope to not get bitten. If my next one comes defective, I might try to see what I can do through the warranty through the company to see if their warranty is worth anything. If they give me the run around, I will return it to the seller and look for another scale. A 10-year warranty on a $40 scale seems a bit suspect to me. It should cost in the hundreds for that length of a warranty.

• Agree
    Reactions: DaveP

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Huh, didn't even know it had a back light button, cool will try it next time I have it out, learn something new every day :)

Same here. All these years I've been using it next to the kitchen sink with the LED lights under the cabinets. Never even noticed that little blue button!

• Agree
    Reactions: Nailz
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread