RDA An experiment... the poor man's dripper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Laudano

Dec 1, 2014
CT
So I was looking at a collection of old tanks I have and Decided that they are just going to waste sitting in a bag in my storage room. I grabbed my small hacksaw and here's what I did.

The tank I used is this The HAUS Personal Vaporizer by Mistic . These tanks have a removable screw on base and use a coil head that is an almost exact match to your average kanger/evod coil. I first used my hack saw to cut off the mouth piece so that I could remove the chimney or tube inside the tank.

Once I cut the mouth piece off and had a hollow tank, I filed it down until I could stick a plastic black drip tip into it nice and snug, which I pulled off of an old CE4 type top coil cartomizer. Then I took the coil head and sawed off half the metal cup where the coil it's self sits. I took only one half off because I needed to be able to unscrew it for rebuilding when needed.

I then drilled a hole in the tank directly in front of the area on the coil head that would need to be exposed to airflow. I used a 1/16 Phillips and just spun it with my hand until it broke through and created a nice neat hole for airflow.

I proceeded to wrap an 1.8 ohm nano coil using 32 gauge kanthal. Organic cotton was used as a wick. I stuffed some cotton directly underneath the coil to block up the airflow from the bottom, which wasn't needed anymore since I drilled a hole in the tank it's self. With everything screwed back together and lined up perfectly, it was time to give it a try.

I'm surprised to say that it works quite well and actually made my 24 and 18mg juices way to strong, which is something I anticipated. It took me less than an hour to do this and I'm glad I did. This experiment has has showed me that dripping will greatly enhance my vaping experience.

I will definitely buy a decent dripper in the future when funds permit me to do so. If you try this, wash everything thoroughly to get rid of any metal or plastic shavings. All testing was done at a mere 11 watts with my faithful mvp. I experienced no dry or burnt hits of any kind, but did have some minor leaking from the bottom, which I expected anyways. Adding liquid is done simply by removing the drip dip and carefully dripping liquid onto the coil.

Pictures:
SAM_2101.jpg

SAM_2104.jpg

SAM_2108.jpg

SAM_2109.jpg

Last edited:

juggalofisher88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hell yea, i love making my own vaping stuff im a give this a try(kanger ts3 has a similar metal ring i could probably manger afc), how did u separate positive and negative so it would short out?

Of course my cousins uncle brothers next door neighbor neighbors cat had some(a lot) catnip...

sig-153231.jpg

James Laudano

Dec 1, 2014
CT
Hell yea, i love making my own vaping stuff im a give this a try(kanger ts3 has a similar metal ring i could probably manger afc), how did u separate positive and negative so it would short out?

Of course my cousins uncle brothers next door neighbor neighbors cat had some(a lot) catnip...

sig-153231.jpg
Its built just like a kanger coil with the rubber grommet and center pin. I made no changes to the coil head besides removing half the metal cup so that airflow could directly hit the coil. Cotton was put underneath the coil for several reasons but mainly to block the bottom airflow.

James Laudano

Dec 1, 2014
CT
I did something similar. It gave me an idea of what dripping was like, but not nearly as good.
No offense at all, but I didn't find it worth the effort when you can get an rda for $5-$10.
No offense taken. I Didn't really know you could get a decent dripper for that price. I see alot of cheap clones on fastech and may give one a try after I do some research.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Thanks for the pics and info. I'll look into it.

America's best vaping and ecig deals and steals - 101 Vape has great customer service and fast shipping from Cali. I sent them an email about an RDA and someone actually went around and checked to make sure most of their drip tips fit well into it for me. I didn't even ask them to, but they did. I order all of my Naut Mini BVC coils from them ($12.99) also... They have a cheap Brass Mod, eleaf battery, and RDA's if you want to get serious... I would order cotton and wire from amazon though...

James Laudano

Dec 1, 2014
CT
America's best vaping and ecig deals and steals - 101 Vape has great customer service and fast shipping from Cali. I sent them an email about an RDA and someone actually went around and checked to make sure most of their drip tips fit well into it for me. I didn't even ask them to, but they did. I order all of my Naut Mini BVC coils from them ($12.99) also... They have a cheap Brass Mod, eleaf battery, and RDA's if you want to get serious... I would order cotton and wire from amazon though...
All of my cotton and kanthal already comes from Amazon, but I am definitively going to check out 101vapes after I am done with work. I should have just ordered something from them instead of ordering an IGO-L and Octopus clone from slowtech. Who knows when my stuff will ever get here. I should have also done more research but I hardly have the time these days. I appreciate the info though.

All of my cotton and kanthal already comes from Amazon, but I am definitively going to check out 101vapes after I am done with work. I should have just ordered something from them instead of ordering an IGO-L and Octopus clone from slowtech. Who knows when my stuff will ever get here. I should have also done more research but I hardly have the time these days. I appreciate the info though.

Ya, I spent some time doing the research. Between a new kid, work, and wife; I just hope to save some people the trouble. Take what you want, but use what you take for all its worth!

-Shane

James Laudano

Dec 1, 2014
CT
Ya, I spent some time doing the research. Between a new kid, work, and wife; I just hope to save some people the trouble. Take what you want, but use what you take for all its worth!

-Shane
I work from home and have a 2.5 year old daughter and a wife so I know how it is. Trying to write articles about chemistry, astronomy, human anatomy and other science related stuff is not easy when my daughter is bouncing off the walls and wanting my attention haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread