RDA dripping noob, having difficulty producing a thick, satisfactory draw

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenasty1

Jan 20, 2010
michigan
i am new to dripping, but have been vaping for years and rebuilding tanks for a while now. i know im behind the times a bit, and i want to start dripping, but, ive been having problems getting a good pull from a rda. i use a rta on the regular with no issues- if i build it right its excellent, and i want to learn to get the same results (or better) with a rba. i started with a patriot clone with 1.2 ohm dual coils with cotton wick on a mech. the vape was extremely harsh and disappointingly thin, and the flavor was a bit muted. my guess was not enough airflow. the stock air hole on my patriot is very small, and i lack the technology to drill it out, so i got myself a plume veil clone. i built that with the same coil as i did on the patriot and adjusted the airflow to wide open. the vape was still very thin and harsh with poor flavor. i played around with the airflow a bit with no success. and now, im stuck. lowering the resistance of my coils is not an option at the moment, im stuck using a vv mod (min. resistance 1.2 ohms) to check resistance until i can get another good ohm reader. ive read that lowering nicotine concentration might help, so i made a batch of liquid at 6 mg (i usually vape 12 mg in my tanks). it has a few days left to steep, so in the meantime i figured id hit the forums and see if there was anything else i was doing wrong. anyone have any info/experience that may help? help me produce the vape and flavor that i know these things can.

Last edited:

Heespharm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2014
Htown,tx
i use a 1.2 ohm single coil in my rta on a mech and it works great. what makes the dripper different?

Usually Rta have really small chambers... On a dripper there's a lot more room so more power and in turn more heat needs to be thrown at it

I find 0.5 ohm single coil builds to be very hot and satisfactory... I also use 24 or 26 ga kanthal as a thicker coil holds more heat

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
On the plume veil set the air all the way to the right of the wick so it's aiming at the other coils positive post backside. Set it to about a 1/4 to a 1/3 open. With the open side of the slot on the side that the coil is on, to the left. This got me the best vape on the plume. I also found the air to be touchy on the plume. But at any rate you need more power.

Your experienced building good coils so just use the coil calculator to get you resistance down a bit, in a range that is safe for the battery. Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

You'll probably want about 20w on the plume to get a decent vape, about .8ohms on the mech. Only problem with the plume is you have to drip very often as it doesn't have capacity really other than the wick. Get the other dripper drilled out to 1.6 or 2mm. I prefer 2mm but that's just me..

Are you taking lung pulls? Drippers work best with lung hits IMO?

Last edited:

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
I'm no expert on drippers but I got good results first time out with my Magma on a MMV Nanos. Best flavor ever in 5 years of vaping!

1. Mech mod!
2. sub-ohm coil(s) setup
3. good batteries (AW IMR at least)
4. lots of air flow
5. high quality wicking
6. lung hits-- hit it hard, move the vapor off the coils

BTW, what gauge of wire are you using?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread