Another eCig Blew Up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Being a new member, I'm not allowed to post links ATM until I have more posts, but I was mainly talking about incidents in general. I'm more interested in reasons why an ecig could explode, catch fire, or otherwise do something "catastrophic", not so much the cause of the specific incident I saw this morning.

Yeah, right....

I've been vaping sub-ohm for 3 years with gennies on mechs. Never have I run into anything even remotely like this. I have, however, run into a great many vape haters willing to say anything they have to publicly to damage vaping. I deal with these kinds of people daily at work. They are determined and hateful about what they do. Welcome to my ignore list.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I think that's exactly what I'm wanting to know. If I do everything right, am I safe or still at risk of a potential fire/explosion? I'm glad an ECF vet has the same concerns that I have :)

You are always at risk, just as you are with everything else in life. Even if you have the best batteries, the best charger, you inspect your battery wrappers daily, you monitor your charge rates and discharge levels, and anything else you can think of, there is always the possibility of something failing. That is why many people give the advice to never charge any battery unattended. Yes, that includes laptops and cell phones, and yes most people charge those unattended, and yes they pose the risk of bursting into flames which they do on occasion.

If you feel you are sufficiently comfortable with your choice in charger and batteries to leave them unattended, that is a choice you can make. If you want to eliminate as much risk as possible, keep an eye on them. You won't prevent them from having a failure this way, but you will be more promptly able to respond in the event of a failure.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I guess this particular case was an issue during charging. Other recent events have been hard shorts due to improper equipment matching, i.e. using a tank with a spring loaded center pin on a direct to battery connection mod, where the 510 threads of the atomizer short against the positive of the battery. There was also a case of someone leaving the battery compartment door off of the mod, and then placing the mod in a pocket with keys and change where it then made a connection and shorted out. Previous occasions were someone not locking the mod properly and having it continuous fire in a pocket, or a regulated device failing and auto firing.

All of those, except the last, are user error. The last was an electronics failure, which would be unavoidable(other than not purchasing that mod) and unforeseeable, which is why people preach vigilance.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
I'm just gunna leave this here and walk away.

I have a newer generation phone that has "fast charging" capabilities, the phone allows up to 2.5a to charge, when charging at those high amps the phone does get noticable hot and if I didn't have a case could have possibly burned myself a few times. This is using the supplied cord and charger.

I also have an istick, which on times gets hot also durring charging(at 1a).

Both devices, I charge using a lower amp charger than stated for each individualy and they never heat up anymore. Phone I charge with 1a, and the istick a .5a

Just because you can, don't mean you should use as much power to charge a device.

More things nowadays seem to be built as "throw away and upgrade today" devices. I wouldn't doubt they are somewhat designed to fail at a certain rate - not just ecigs, but phones, cars, ect.

As far as I'm concerned with the istick news peice, he probably stuck it on his 2 amp phone charger because it's the same plug and it over heated

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
Yeah, right....

I've been vaping sub-ohm for 3 years with gennies on mechs. Never have I run into anything even remotely like this. I have, however, run into a great many vape haters willing to say anything they have to publicly to damage vaping. I deal with these kinds of people daily at work. They are determined and hateful about what they do. Welcome to my ignore list.
You haven't seen it so it doesn't exist? Really? I don't have a horse in this race, but come on. That's absurd.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
I have, however, run into a great many vape haters willing to say anything they have to publicly to damage vaping. I deal with these kinds of people daily at work. They are determined and hateful about what they do. Welcome to my ignore list.
Wow, did you read my post? I vape too, I'm not "hating" I'm trying to avoid giving them more to talk about. But honestly if you're that ignorant then please do ignore me, we have nothing to discuss.

Lessifer: thanks for the information, I think this is what I was looking for. Most of those cases were user error like you said, and they were generally caused by doing something that shouldn't have been done. In some cases (like the last) it wasn't user error and wasn't really avoidable, but I would think (at least for me) I would notice this kind of thing (I would think I'd hear it or smell it if nothing else). Plus my device cuts off after 10 seconds (assuming, of course, that function wasn't also malfunctioning).

Sorry I picked a touchy subject and again, I wasn't trying to get on anyone's bad side, give people a reason to hate, etc. I simply wanted to be better informed on potential safety issues. For the record, this is probably the one type of post where ECF members should walk away if they have something negative to say. Discouraging people from being better informed on safety is in no one's best interest... period.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Wow, did you read my post? I vape too, I'm not "hating" I'm trying to avoid giving them more to talk about. But honestly if you're that ignorant then please do ignore me, we have nothing to discuss.

Lessifer: thanks for the information, I think this is what I was looking for. Most of those cases were user error like you said, and they were generally caused by doing something that shouldn't have been done. In some cases (like the last) it wasn't user error and wasn't really avoidable, but I would think (at least for me) I would notice this kind of thing (I would think I'd hear it or smell it if nothing else). Plus my device cuts off after 10 seconds (assuming, of course, that function wasn't also malfunctioning).

Sorry I picked a touchy subject and again, I wasn't trying to get on anyone's bad side, give people a reason to hate, etc. I simply wanted to be better informed on potential safety issues. For the record, this is probably the one type of post where ECF members should walk away if they have something negative to say. Discouraging people from being better informed on safety is in no one's best interest... period.
In the case of the iSticks that malfunctioned, they were auto firing, and did not cut off after 10 seconds. Hopefully one would notice their mod getting hot, or starting to smoke, but if there is a charging malfunction while you are sleeping, you may not notice.

Battery safety is important, much of it boils down to "pay attention." Most of us have never had a proper respect for batteries, I still charge my phone overnight.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My smart phone has a fast charge feature which can be disabled. I disabled it to extend the battery life but I suppose there is a safety issue too. Sounds like I want a tester like pbursardo has that will tell me the charge rate and try to have USB adapters with slow or trickle options. Another option is a fire resistant area for over night charging.

Reactions: EBates

Chuck64

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2015
NV. USA
I did a Google search myself and found this....

"Cigarette fires cause close to1,000 deaths and 3,000 injuries each year in the united states, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). As the ignition source in fires responsible for over 20% of all fire deaths , cigarettes are the nations largest single cause of such deaths."

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA

For me, it was not the subject that was touchy as I readily agree that battery information/safety is a VERY important subject. My concern was that you may have been a troll. Believe it or not, some people sign up just to stir things up.

Perhaps if you would have told us a little about yourself, or simply stated that you've been vaping and lurking x months, I would have been much less suspicious. After reading your follow up posts I see that, as you stated, you were just trying to be "better informed".

For the first several decades of my life, I believed that people were good, honest, caring, etc. until they proved me wrong. I was proved wrong so many times that I now have a bird in the coal mine mentality. If that bird so much as drops it's head a little, I reach for the respirator. ;)

akksnv

Jan 17, 2016
No problem Rickb119 and Asylumsix, I understand and quite possibly would have thought the same things had things been the other way around. I thought about doing an intro post but decided against it, life with a baby and toddler is a little demanding (posting this with three(?) interruptions so far) so I skipped the "hi my name is" stuff and went straight to the point.

FWIW, I've been vaping since November 2014... well technically a month or two before that, November was my last analog.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
No problem Rickb119 and Asylumsix, I understand and quite possibly would have thought the same things had things been the other way around. I thought about doing an intro post but decided against it, life with a baby and toddler is a little demanding (posting this with three(?) interruptions so far) so I skipped the "hi my name is" stuff and went straight to the point.

FWIW, I've been vaping since November 2014... well technically a month or two before that, November was my last analog.

As my generation used to say (many years ago). RIGHT ON! :cool:

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
The OP, to me, came across as possibly baiting. It was just something that came to mind at the time. Soo, I did not respond to the OP's opinion/write-up. And, the fact that the OP joined today was another red flag. I just wanted to see the original documents.

I have to say that I see battery issues probably as much as other readers here. For me, my spare batteries are in a tin that some food (gift) came in. My mods with batteries are not on the build level of the iSticks. I did have an iStick but I tossed it after a week. The post referencing the iPhone level of build is more in my direction and my batteries come from the same well-regarded vendor The cost is not considered. My mods speed charge also. I have left a mod charge overnight on occasion, but not often.

I am not without my bad habits, but, I do specifically think of build quality versus watts, deco, etc. As a rather unregulated industry there are many vendors, modders, and builders that just don't care.

Once again, I hope all give better consideration to the quality of their hardware purchases. Safety first.

Reactions: EBates

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
or you could put on ignore list without a public announcement
She did the exact same thing today in a completely different thread. Obnoxious, but here's hoping it's just a person on an off day.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm going to retire a TC mod to standby reserve because I think the venting is inadequate. I think eventually I'll have a fireproof place for recharging and a more sophisticated battery charger that tells me more about the condition of the cells as they age. I've already decided to keep a minimum number of batteries so my stock stays fresh. I'll continue to use on board charging when I'm awake and present.

How about this, a fire proof bag and tongs hanging on the wall so a venting mod can be snagged and tossed outside. Is that an invention? (I'm gonna be RICH!)

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
While I agree that battery safety, don't charge unattended, use good quality equipment, and don't mis-use/abuse your equipment. To me these are all just common sense, which folks now a days have very little of.
The primary reason for all of the 'E-cig Explodes' headlines is a concerted effort to demonize vaping and open the door for regulation/prohibition. The number of accidents involving vaping is Nothing compared to hover boards, computer/phone, and the cigarette injury accidents, etc. BG, BT, BP, and Big Medicine want e-cigs gone and will resort to any tactic available to accomplish their goal.
Just me, I could be wrong.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Always best not to make a judgement until you have all the information ;)

And should it be a subject you're not interested in gathering information on, don't form an opinion.
What are you, insane?
Who even does that!!?!?!

Ain't nobody got time for that!
:laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread