Another Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsites

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2017
Nederland, Colorado
Thanks for this forum. I smoked for 50 years and started wheezing and being short of breath in the last few months. On a whim, I picked up a Vuse instead of a pouch of roll your own American Spirits and started using them instead. I've been off stinkies for about 2 weeks and the wheezing is gone.

Vuse doesn't publish their nicotine level but it must be pretty high since I haven't had much withdrawal symptoms. I want to wean myself gradually from nicotine so Vuse isn't the long term answer.

I ordered a V2 kit 2 weeks ago and haven't received it yet. If you order from them, be prepared to wait a long time. I ordered 1.8% and hope it's strong enough.

If vaping is addictive, I'll swap in a less harmful addiction for the time being and drop the level over however long it takes.

Thanks especially for the success stories! Like most, I tried multiple times to quit and this time feels different.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome, Dsites.

I'm sorry your setup is taking so long. With having smoked the vuse I might recommend 24 mg e-liquid, but that's just me. In any case, switching over is a great idea, you can certainly experiment with nic levels, PG/VG, all stuff you can't do in a cig-a-like, I think you will enjoy experimenting :)

For me this time, it was different too, health issues, just the insanity of smoking all caught up to me and I WANTED to make this work, even though I have dual used in the past, still unwilling to completely let go of my cigarettes, this always led me back to full on smoking. So, I took advantage of it, as it sounds like you are doing... I dual used maybe a week before quitting completely, I just had to do it.

It's always so interesting what level of motivation will do to a quit, I think it's one of the most important factors, really. Also, if you fall off the wagon, even once, KEEP vaping! Right after that cigarette, VAPE! I did that religiously and found out via that method that yes, I really preferred vaping, in many ways, which made me thrilled as after even this short time, so many of my health issues went away! I only expect things to improve, but I'm thrilled!

Best of luck with your continued quit!

Anna

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Welcome to ECF! Glad you got motivated to quit smoking. I smoked for 42 years and was able to quit with vaping. I had worked my way up to about 4 packs a day before the hacking and wheezing finally made me a believer. I was a dual user for about 4 months before I quit completely. It's been over 4 years now and I'm not even tempted to smoke. We all get there in our own time. Keep going for it.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I prefer DIY juice but if I do buy juice I'm more likely to go to a B&M to support them remaining in business. I don't buy much juice now, though, so unless they have a special widget or whatever that I like, I buy a small bottle of my favorite flavor....

If you can find a vape shop near you, the advantage is you can taste flavors, possibly, depending on where you are, and get a sense for the different juices you may like. I've always done that since I'm picky. The only purchases I've made online were for DIY items, juice wise.

I will by mods, coils, etc., online, and I use different vendors.

Anna

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Welcome to ecf !
First off don't worry too much about vaping gear the first thing i'd say to do is find the right nicotine levels (i went with 2 different levels at first for those cravings and lower stuff for these other times). Whenever you crave a smoke vape if you like tobaco flavor then by all means vape it i'm more of a fruity guy myself but hey to each his own :p

Unfortunately ego styles didn't suit me so i bought a mod and a nautilus tank to start off with had 15mg liquid and vaped that for the whole first month. Afterwards if you don't get many cravings you can try reducing your nic levels (you should also get more flavors,or so i've heard) i went from 15 to 3-6 depending on liquid availability but i mostly do 6 for the throat hit atm but i do sub 0hm so don't bother with that when you start imho

I went from mtl setup (nautilus tank) to a smok big baby beast doing 6mg nic liquids and boy am i loving the taste+after taste. One thing to keep in mind though : no one is the same and therefore no one quits the same,i've seen stories of people going cold turkey and others like me having their first smoke with a coffee in the morning. Took me about 2-3 weeks before i stopped completely. Now going in my 3rd month and still vaping strong !

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
Hello well done for discovering vaping, I was a heavy smoker. Sometimes up to 60 a day & I started on 24mg an that got me off smokes for 3 years! I've been trying to stop since august & I use 18mg now which helps my cravings alot. I used to add nicotine to make it 24mg but no longer feel the need too
Anyway... I'm sure 18mg will do you fine :) I can't get 24mg in the UK anymore tpd grr

ColdHeartClan

Jul 28, 2017
Madison, Wi
Welcome, Dsites.

I'm sorry your setup is taking so long. With having smoked the vuse I might recommend 24 mg e-liquid, but that's just me. In any case, switching over is a great idea, you can certainly experiment with nic levels, PG/VG, all stuff you can't do in a cig-a-like, I think you will enjoy experimenting :)

For me this time, it was different too, health issues, just the insanity of smoking all caught up to me and I WANTED to make this work, even though I have dual used in the past, still unwilling to completely let go of my cigarettes, this always led me back to full on smoking. So, I took advantage of it, as it sounds like you are doing... I dual used maybe a week before quitting completely, I just had to do it.

It's always so interesting what level of motivation will do to a quit, I think it's one of the most important factors, really. Also, if you fall off the wagon, even once, KEEP VAPING! Right after that cigarette, VAPE! I did that religiously and found out via that method that yes, I really preferred vaping, in many ways, which made me thrilled as after even this short time, so many of my health issues went away! I only expect things to improve, but I'm thrilled!

Best of luck with your continued quit!

Anna
I love reading your posts, so concise and detailed about your story all the time. I could almost write a book lolol. Vape on hun.

Skold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2016
I wouldn't go as far as saying "everyone on here is great" there is alot of people on my ignore list cos they think they know everything about everything.
Truthfulness & honesty gets you a long way, bigging yourself up doesn't.
However I believe most of the time if people respect each other and don't force their vaping habits on people it is a good forum. The likes of people saying "I get good clouds from my RDA learn to build" can just get lost. You don't need to build to get a good vape. I will always speak my mind :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
IDK I am a firm believer in "everyone's great" even if they are not to my taste. I am not to everyone's taste, that's for sure, since we're all human beings with fobiles and failings. Like I said, like *or* tolerate. Even if I'm tolerating you in my ignore file, that doesn't mean you aren't great, LOL.

To Dsites, I think you will greatly enjoy your first non-cigalike, and this forum IS super welcoming and knowledgeable, so continue asking questions and whatnot. This site helped me a lot at first, especially, to stay vape focused, and I've learned a lot (including the fact that I just shoved the Arrow RDTA on my tank, and I started with the 0.15 coils (WOW) and I hated it! :) I need to learn to build, LOL.

Anna

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
You may find your need for nicotine and your flavor likes will change over time...sometimes quickly and dramatically.

I started with a cigalike and cartomizers 5 years ago at 24mg (I was a 42 year 3 pad smoker). After a month or so, my body told me I needed less nic (anxiety, sleeplessness, etc). I had to start weaning down. I started on tobacco flavors but again, after a month or two they began tasting awful and I had to go on a great flavor hunt.

It's the hunt, the experimenting while your body adapts that makes it so much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread