Another Recommend An RTA Thread. Thanks !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Build I prefer ...
30 AWG Kanthal
8/7 wraps ... closed coil ... on 2mm
1.8-1.9ohms

^^ This is a small coil (micro?) and the problem is most every RTA has posts too far apart or inadequate coil leg retention, easily resulting in (severe) coil deformation when installing because of the small wire size. I tried building open coils but just completely prefer closed coils, especially in this size. I just can't find a deck IDEAL for a 30 build.

I've only tried and currently use two RTA's (besides Billet Box configurations) ...
SXK Doggystyle: Airflow just not quite open enough. My inhale technique is a combination of DL AND MTL.
Coil Master Elfy: Wick well openings rather large for such a small coil. Too persnickety to get just the right amount of cotton the coil likes and enough cotton to satisfactorily fill the wick well openings. Top fill, so juice is highly susceptible to being forced out by internal tank pressure when reinstalling the top cap, especially with reduced small coil cotton volume.

I've found the ideal build for me. Apparently it's smaller than most builders/vapers go for.
Now to just find the ideal RTA.
3ml capacity and less okay. Needs to be 22mm round for my Pico 75W and Provari tube mods. Should have an equivalent (adjustable) airflow opening of 1.5-2mm or larger.

Suggestions appreciated !!! :)

EDIT: Oh, and flavor isn't an issue or concern. I vape non-flavored. It's all about nic delivery and the 30 is ideal in part because tootling is a fast ramp up and cool down. No "priming" the draw.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Give me a little refresher (very little because I think 30ga Kanthal 1.5Ω was what I used to come up with rebuilding Vivi Nova and ProTanks, and even the 2mm wicks sound familiar), how wide are we talking?

I think you may have to adjust something because I'm remembering very small (it had to be to fit in the above without shorting on the walls). I don't know if you'll find anything to be a good fit to that.

First thing would be to bend your legs so they fit to the holes so your coil doesn't get distorted.

|
\_
....\\\\
Does that make sense?

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
@Myk ... just popped the decks off and took this pic. Sorry about the quality but the coil width is clear ... not very wide. SXK Doggystyle on the left. Coil Master Elfy on the right.

EDIT: The photo is linked to my FB profile. I use it for photo hosting. Some can't see the pics. I know those who use tapatalk have issues maybe others. A normal browser works.

33487477_593211901034733_283413364170817536_n.jpg

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
... I don't know if you'll find anything to be a good fit to that.
Yeah, I think maybe I will just have to work with the Doggystyle. I hate the coil leg termination screws but use tweezers to hold the coil while tightening or the screws pull the wire around and distort the coil badly. It is what it is I guess. The SJMY Doggystyle is said to be airier, so I may give that a try too. Thanks !!! :)

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I leave the mandrel in the coil while screw it down. It still pulls the coil to the posts, but, I heat the coil to a higher temp, put the mandrel back in and pull the coil away from the posts. The heat softens the metal.

It just pulls in any slack in the coil around the mandrel so the coil can be moved away from the posts.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
@Myk ... just popped the decks off and took this pic. Sorry about the quality but the coil width is clear ... not very wide. SXK Doggystyle on the left. Coil Master Elfy on the right.

EDIT: The photo is linked to my FB profile. I use it for photo hosting. Some can't see the pics. I know those who use tapatalk have issues maybe others. A normal browser works.

33487477_593211901034733_283413364170817536_n.jpg
Yeah, I think maybe I will just have to work with the Doggystyle. I hate the coil leg termination screws but use tweezers to hold the coil while tightening or the screws pull the wire around and distort the coil badly. It is what it is I guess. The SJMY Doggystyle is said to be airier, so I may give that a try too. Thanks !!! :)

That's what I was picturing. I don't think anything will be skinnier between posts.
Doggystyle style opposing screws doesn't seem to be bad. Maybe something with clamp slots would work. Long legs shouldn't be a big issue, they were quite long in one of the two attys I used a similar build on.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Long legs shouldn't be a big issue, they were quite long in one of the two attys I used a similar build on.
Legs are insanely long in my Billet Box VapeShell with the same build. I just had to make one less wrap to keep ohms where I wanted it to be. Everything is a compromise for this size build.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Besides trying open wrap builds, I've tried different mandrels ... 2.5 and 3 ... as well as 24, 28 and 29 AWG kanthal. I just keep coming back to this 30 build because it is my personal ideal build for fast ramp, fast cool, low wattage tootle vape. It seems to be the only build I can really enjoy at this time.

The only drop in coil I use is a Nautilus 1.8 in Kabuki's and Nautilus atomizers (comfort bridge in the Billet Box). I don't do temp control, sub ohm or look for clouds. Tried it and don't enjoy it at all. Was a smoker for right at 45 years and only look for a cig like draw and vape. Don't do flavors. I eat flavors, not vape them and tobacco flavors just make me want to smoke again. Thankfully I can work with vape hardware compromises and have a quite enjoyable vape. Just wondered what else might be out there to accomodate the 30 AWG closed wrap kanthal micro coil build. Thanks guys !!! :)

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
@Frenchfry1942 ... your advice encouraged me to try and step up my A-game. And it really helped! Now if I can just become bomb proof consistent because this SXK Doggystyle is hitting just about perfectly ... for now. Still think I'll give a SJMY Doggystyle a shot to see if it's a bit airier as I've read in reviews. Thanks :)

33662826_593363737686216_215022838980018176_n.jpg

33458728_593363821019541_2213487928015847424_n.jpg

33576446_593363807686209_8155241149540335616_n.jpg

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I'd try a squape e-motion if I were you. Amazing flavor and with reducers, it can go from mtl to dl. Deck design would definitely work with your preferred build. I never do this, but Ulton makes an unbelievable clone that comes with all decks and all af reducers. It's a very nice atty.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
As another possible option you could use an rba for a drop-in tank. I just got two rba decks for my beloved Uwell crown just because they were .99 cents not because I planned on using right away. I haven’t vaped it I just put a little build in and wicked it just to check it out but it looks like it may be about the size that would work for your coil choice. I can’t attest to its performance but hopefully it’s as good as the drop-ins because it’s a great tank I’ve been using for years now. Anyway I just thought I’d put that out there because I hadn’t seen it mentioned and it seems like a viable option for you. Best of luck, I hope you find what your looking for.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Build I prefer ...
30 AWG Kanthal
8/7 wraps ... closed coil ... on 2mm
1.8-1.9ohms

^^ This is a small coil (micro?) and the problem is most every RTA has posts too far apart or inadequate coil leg retention, easily resulting in (severe) coil deformation when installing because of the small wire size. I tried building open coils but just completely prefer closed coils, especially in this size. I just can't find a deck IDEAL for a 30 build.

I've only tried and currently use two RTA's (besides Billet Box configurations) ...
SXK Doggystyle: Airflow just not quite open enough. My inhale technique is a combination of DL AND MTL.
Coil Master Elfy: Wick well openings rather large for such a small coil. Too persnickety to get just the right amount of cotton the coil likes and enough cotton to satisfactorily fill the wick well openings. Top fill, so juice is highly susceptible to being forced out by internal tank pressure when reinstalling the top cap, especially with reduced small coil cotton volume.

I've found the ideal build for me. Apparently it's smaller than most builders/vapers go for.
Now to just find the ideal RTA.
3ml capacity and less okay. Needs to be 22mm round for my Pico 75W and Provari tube mods. Should have an equivalent (adjustable) airflow opening of 1.5-2mm or larger.

Suggestions appreciated !!! :)

EDIT: Oh, and flavor isn't an issue or concern. I vape non-flavored. It's all about nic delivery and the 30 is ideal in part because tootling is a fast ramp up and cool down. No "priming" the draw.

Have you tried the 24mm Hastur? Is that size too large for you?

It has reducers and is built for mouth to lung, so you can use whichever size airflow insert you prefer .

I own a hastur, and if you are curious how your coil would set in it I could build according to your specifications (I have some 30mm Kanthal I can use) and take some photos - give you a basic idea.

I agree with @Asbestos4004 though, something that takes airflow inserts is your best bet as they are designed for mouth to lung low wattage but have the ability for a bit more air than MTL devices usually have..

For you it just may come down to deck design between the two, among other considerations..

It's either that or get out your dremel..

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2016
Thanks guys !!! Great suggestions. I appreciate it :)
Think I have this SXK Doggystyle sorted. Better build and larger bore drip tip helped, although I wish airflow was slightly more open. While I'm wishing, I wish the fire button on the Pico was slightly larger LOL. It is what it is but still an enjoyable tootle vape. Thanks!

33596799_593956344293622_2469743750117588992_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread