Anthony Vapes: Modefined Lyra Mod Tech Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony_Vapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2017
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Modefined Lyra mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links.

Introduction:
The Modefined Lyra is the latest mod from from new company Modefined and the follow up to their Sirius mod which was excellent. It’s a dual 18650 200 watt mod with a large color screen and centered 510 pin all in a small size so right up my alley. Modefined isn’t a fully new company though, they are a sister company of lost vape, who has been around for a long time and most famous for the dna chipped mods like the therion, triad, and paranormal. It’s available in 5 color options, Amber/Black, Black, Black/Red, Amber/Silver, and Black/Silver. In the pics the Amber looks like ultem but i have the black one so can’t tell.

Manufacturer's Specs:
  • Dual 18650 High-Amp Battery - Not Included
  • Wattage Output Range: 7-200W
  • Voltage Output Range: 1-8.4V
  • Maximum Output: 39A
  • Temperature Range: 200-600F
  • Versatile Temperature Control Module
  • Supports Ni200 Nickel, Titanium, and Stainless Steel Heating Elements
  • TCR Adjustments
  • BYPASS Mode
  • Superior Die-Cast Zinc Alloy Construction
  • Anodized Aluminum Control Face
  • 1.3" Full-Color OLED Display
  • Bottom-Loaded Battery Latch Door
  • Oversized Firing Mechanism
  • Four Button Operations
  • Micro USB Port
  • Overtime Protection
  • Short Circuit Protection
  • Low Battery Warning
  • Spring-Loaded Stainless Steel 510 Connection
  • Available in Black, Silver, Red, Amber
Included in box:
  • 1 Lyra 200W Box Mod
  • 1 Micro USB Cable
  • Instructional Manual
Picture Album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, I was pretty impressed with it. It’s nothing fancy or standout but it’s your typical small dual battery mod. It has a good size to it it’s one of the smaller ones. Nice rounded shape, nice large color screen, centered 510 pin. It looks like a more basic version of the SX mini g class but smaller. I think many will like the simple design over the more flashy ones we’ve seen lately. The menu system is very easy to use. It’s just like the sirius or a less feature rich DNA 250c chip with it’s own separate menu button. Overall just really liked the simplicity of this mod and the size and shape and I think it's the kind of mod many people will like.

Watt Mode Performance (chart and spreadsheet in picture album)
Let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used Sony VTC5A batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .11 , .15, .2, and .6 ohms. wattage points were max (200), 150, 100, 75, 50 and 25. At .11 ohms it maxed out at 195 watts and 42 amps. For the rest of the testing it was never off by more than 5 watts (3 watts or less at 100 or lower). At .15 it maxed out at 199 watts. The rest of the tests it was never off by more than 2 watts. For the .2 test it maxed out at 199 watts. For the rest of the testing it was never off by more than 2 watts. For the .6 testing it maxed out at 93 watts and 7.469 volts. The rest of the testing it was never off by more than 5 watts. The volts shows there is no boost circuit lin this mod

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was really good. Worst case it was off by 5 watts, that was only in a couple of cases. Most of the time it was on point or within a watt or 3. 17 out of the 24 test points was within 3 watts. 4 tests were limited by the volts or amps. The other 3 tests were 4-5 watts off. So really accurate. I’m impressed i was able to get 195+ watts from a .11 to .2 ohm range as well. Usually the range is smaller for most mods. It’s also pretty accurately rated at 200 watts since i got 199 with the .15 and the .2 test. The 7.469 volt limit shows there is no boost circuit but falls a little short of the listed 8.4V max. They went with the theoretical input voltage since it’s buck only, but it’ll never happen in reality due to sag and efficiency. 7.5V would have been more accurate. They list the amp limit at 39 which is a little underrated. I got 42 amps from the mod in my testing. There are no preheat options, but the mod has a built in "hard" preheat to it.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is really good. Very accurate. Mostly within 3 watts. Accurate rating for watts (199), No boost circuit, amp limit 42 which is good. Volts tested at 7.469 so close so a little short of the 8.4V listed.

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire with the SS mode and TCR mode set at 00092, I tested 7 builds a single round spaced, a dual round spaced, 3 fancy single coil builds and 2 fancy dual coil builds. The mod has a 100 watt limit in TC just like the sirius and also an auto setting as well. Adjusting the watts does change the ramp up as it should and it had no issues powering 80 watt dual coil builds either with a fast ramp up. It also did a great job on the throttle, it doesn't throttle too hard at all and gives a nice smooth consistent vape. With SS mode the temp felt off about 100 degrees on the high side, I found around 350F to be a warm vape, however in TCR mode it provides a warm vape in the 450-470 range as it should, so it feels pretty accurate there. Seems like they have the wrong TCR setting for their SS mode (many mods use 105 for it which is SS304 because nobody ever tells the companies i guess?) Overall I was very happy with the temp control on this mod and performed as good as the siruis and as good as any mod on the market.

Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a 5 click to lock or unlock. It doesn't turn on or off, it just goes into standby like a DNA mod. The menu system is very easy as well. It’s like the DNA C chips and the siruis. You use up and down to scroll over what you want to change then press menu to highlight it and use up and down to cycle and press menu again to accept. It’s how you change the wattage, mode, temp control and power in TC mode. The mod adjusts by full watt increments. To change the mod setting highlight the little setting symbol and press menu, from here you can check resistance, puffs, change the TCR, set the time and date, set the screen timeout, set the mod to auto lock, change the puff timer, and reset the puffs and settings. Very easy to use and intuitive.

The mod itself is build solid with no rattle on the buttons, but is also pretty light. The Battery door is a bottom load style. It has a lever you have to manually open and close. I’m not a big fan of it, since it can be a pain to close it down and close the lever to lock it, but over time it’ll probably last longer then a spring loaded one that auto locks. It’s easy to get batteries in and out though and takes 2 18650 batteries. The paint looks nice and doesn't scratch off, but you can see on the bottom where the little nubs have some paint wear. The fire button is nice and large and and clicky. The 510 pin is great, you can see it screwed in from the outside so nice and secure and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no issues or gaps. The screen is a large and bright color screen that’s easy to read and well laid out. The mod can handle a 26mm atomizer without overhang and is only limited by it’s small size. It does lack some fancy features though, there is no pre-heat or watt curve options on this mod. It does have the useless bypass mode i generally ignore these days. It’s also a very inexpensive mod, element vape has them for 39.95 currently.

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • Nice simple looks and form factor
  • color options (love the amber ones from the pics)
  • no button rattle
  • Nice large color screen
  • Power mode performance is good
  • nice fire button
  • Mostly accurately rated (watts and amps)
  • battery is easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • Temp Mode performance
  • nice centered 510 pin
  • symmetrical design
  • easy to use menu system
  • Price point (39.95 on elementvape)

Cons:

• battery door can be hard to close and lock
  • No preheat or power curve options

• overrated volt spec (I got about 7.5V listed at 8.4V)
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do the yes or no, but for this i have to lean heavy towards the yes. It would have been nice to have watt curves or at least a pre heat, but it does what it promises and does it great. Great temp control, accurate power performance, does it’s 200 watts all in a small symmetrical design with a large color screen that's easy to use all for under 40 bucks. It doesn't get much more value than that. If you don’t care about pre-heats and watt curves and are looking for a new mod, this one is well worth the look. I’ll be adding it to my sheet for both power mode and temp mode. It’s one of the top mods of 2018 so far.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review.

it's available for 39.95 here in the US Modefined Lyra 200W TC Box Mod | Vape Device

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Elementvape.com

Review Disclaimer
I review products for what they are with no account of where it comes from or who makes it. The test results are the results for what is in my hand. Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary. There is no way for myself or anyone to predict if a device will last 6 months, 1 year, 5 years etc. Any manufactured item from cars to phones to computers to mods have a possibility of arriving DOA or having a small percent failure rate. There is no way to predict this or quantify this. That’s why warranties and lemon laws exist. I can only review what I have in my hand for better or for worse. Contrary to popular belief, there is no special review samples of higher quality. Most of the time personally i get retail versions, the few times i’ve gotten early releases they are usually worse than the final retail version.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I decided to add this disclaimer in as i feel it’s important for people to know their source of the review. I’ve been vaping since late 2011. I’ve vaped all the styles from MTL to RLH to DTL. tanks, RTAs, RDAs, you name it. I do prefer the DTL and RLH style over MTL personally. My main focus from an atomizer is flavor. For mods i’ve used mechs and regulated mods. I’m an avid temp control vaper but enjoy power mode as well and the occasion mech useage for nostalgia. I’ve been doing reviews since late 2016. As of Jan 2018 I’ve done over 100 written reviews and done over 150 video reviews on my channel, Although i’ve taken a break from videos in the past few months to focus on written reviews.

I spend a lot of time helping vapers on forums as well and try to answer all the questions and comments on my reviews. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested. At times if needed i’ll disassemble them as well. Rebuildables get multiple builds in them. Tanks i use all coils until the die or a minimum of 2 weeks if they don’t die sooner. I do this for the community to help people find good products and avoid bad ones. In my opinion a reviewer works for the community and nobody else. It’s our job to inform vapers of issues and not be advertisers as well as provide constructive criticism from a place of knowledge back to companies with these reviews so they can improve and make better products in the future.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2017 list here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread