• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

any artists? need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

achtungbaby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2011
St. Petersburg, Florida
I'm looking to get my daughter some water colors and colored pencils. We've done the crayola (she's almost 6, going on 16) but the quality stinks. She's a very good artist and would like to do some fairy clothing designs. I've had Prismacolor pencils in the past...I just don't want to go over board.
Suggestions for a blooming artist? ~thanks. :)

ps, there is no hobby lobby in florida. Michaels is our best craft supply.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I love prismacolors! they're wonderful colored pencils. If your daughter doesn't like them you can always steal them back.

Watercolor pencils are really fun too. You can draw with them dry, and then brush with water, or dip the tip in water or use them on wet paper. Michael's has these Derwent Watercolour Pencil Tin Sets the crayola version isn't bad either (they have a great turquoise and magenta/pink). Put 'em together with an inexpensive watercolor set (either the pans, or tubes).

The biggest thing is going to make sure you have paper that can tolerate the water. it's worth it to get at least some watercolor paper- you can get the inexpensive kind. If you need to get regular drawing paper, make sure that it's at least 50lb paper (the number refers to how thick and strong the paper is- bigger numbers are better paper)

I've never tried these- but am going to have to find some
Derwent Inktense Pencils 12 piece Tin Set

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
ooh- that's right- Florida has Pearl's. Much better than either hobby lobby or michaels. (or at least they were 15 years ago).

I get most of my supplies from a local art supply store...but i also order some things online
Arts & Crafts Materials

ths looks like a good deal for reasonable watercolor pencils http://www.enasco.com/product/9722313

achtungbaby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2011
St. Petersburg, Florida
WOW! You guys (sorry, habit) are awesome. I went to Michaels for kid make n take earlier (before the replies) and almost fell over the prices of the pencils. I'm wondering if I should get her the watercolor pencils? or regular? and then the pan paints...Classy, you're too funny - tubes? She's good, but :facepalm:
CES- thanks for the links and the tip about the paper, I believe that's where I've gone wrong in the past. I'll invest in some good paper for her.
She saw a commercial for Disney Pixie website and they interviewed one of the clothing designers/graphic artist (?IDK?) anyway, she got her icky generic 6 color pan paints and tried her heart out and just got so frustrated. We know about not having proper equipment right? So, that's the back story.
Once I get her set up I'll be sure to post one of her designs. *insert cheeky mommy grin*

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
There's (Richard) Blick ..but they're expensive. Nasco is the other one I've used. (I use Delphi for glass supplies)

There are some good generic pan paints- the ones with the softer paint are the best of the breed. Prang is the brand of cheap pan watercolors that i use sometimes - i like the bight colors. Decent soft brushes make a huge difference. those little plastic thingies are designed for failure.

I can't wait to see pictures!!!!

Last edited:

achtungbaby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2011
St. Petersburg, Florida
Ala, big kiss for you! MUAWWW! A wonderful idea to rid my home of the million pixos! :) Glue, paint, display, toss! Yeh me!
Maybe I could get her to do the bend-a-roos as well! (aka wiki stix or stuck in my carpet sticks)
We do a lot of the fuse beads too. I didn't remember them from childhood until my friend from Sweden gave us a huge bucket. You know the ones you iron together? We have done many, many of those. Have two of those drawer cheasts (like the ones meant for screws also used for attys etc :lol:) full of them. We display them over our door frames. (mom likes those too ;))
I was just teasin Classy, tubes....later. :)

achtungbaby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2011
St. Petersburg, Florida
Safira, they have crayola oil pastels for 5.99 and these 'new' art sticks, 15.99 I coulnt figure out what they were for such a high price...get this..they're colored pencils with NO wood. Just a solid color stick! No sharpening, 4 points or can lay them sidways and get a swoosh of color! They're for my next coupon, oh after I get some printable cotton. Have you seen that? You can download disigns off the net and embroider on it or make plushies! Urbanthreads.com Beware! Very cool stuff. But the cotton sheets are 15.99 also. My store accepts Joann coupons too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread